Yamaha 4 strokes

SX600abuser

Well guys, I am have to admit I am starting to be tempted to convert. At first the weight to hp ratio, for me, made these sleds not even worth looking at twice until I saw the 2008 nytro, but then I felt the bad unpredictability in the corners and decided the sled was nice but not a winner yet. 2009 and up however seems to be one hell of a snowmobile!! I am really thinking about saving for a 2009 nytro xtx. I never buy anything new, I can't imagine watching something i paid for drop in value by 2-3 grand when I put my name on it...lol I will probably be picking up a sled at the end of the 2011-2012 season. The reason I am posting this is because I LOVE my 600 triple right now and I know you guys love your 2 strokes so what is it that keeps you holding onto the 2 stroke? Is it the money? I know that is a big thing for me, but to be honest I already saving for a 2004-2006 600 ski doo sdi because of gas mileage, ride quality, and all round performance...I like to go to canada every now and then, where you need a minimum of 136" to have any fun, which is why the xtx is so perfect. The reason the nytro will beat out the ski doo for me is because it is still a 2 stroke sled, and will still need pistons and rings more often. Why not just go for the 4-stroke and keep my blood running blue at the same time?

I just picked up an Attak about two weeks ago. Put on 30 miles today just fooling around in the fresh snow in the ditches around here. The mono is hands down better than the pro-action. Sled feels alot more predictable in the bumps. Love the sound and the pull of the engine. Having said that, I still enjoy my Viper. Feels alot lighter and jumps the driveways alot easier. Money is a key factor why I did not go 4 stroke alot sooner. Got a great deal on my Attak. Along with not having to add oil and worry about poor fuel, piston wash and jetting made my decision alot easier to switch. And now I don't have to lead the back of the pack because of the unwritten "smokers"rule.
As far as the newer Nytro's go, they sure do handle nice but IMO they do not look as good as an Apex, Viper or SRX

stein700sx said:
I just picked up an Attak about two weeks ago. Put on 30 miles today just fooling around in the fresh snow in the ditches around here. The mono is hands down better than the pro-action. Sled feels alot more predictable in the bumps. Love the sound and the pull of the engine. Having said that, I still enjoy my Viper. Feels alot lighter and jumps the driveways alot easier. Money is a key factor why I did not go 4 stroke alot sooner. Got a great deal on my Attak. Along with not having to add oil and worry about poor fuel, piston wash and jetting made my decision alot easier to switch. And now I don't have to lead the back of the pack because of the unwritten "smokers"rule.
As far as the newer Nytro's go, they sure do handle nice but IMO they do not look as good as an Apex, Viper or SRX

I actually really really like the way the nytro's look. In blue of course!! lol. but I really thing they are cool looking. It is the coolest looking rider foward sled I have seen yamaha produce. I bet that mono feels like you are on a cloud compared with the proaction. I am still not sure about the sound, I just love the sound of a triple 2smoke, hard to beat. I will definitely keep my 600 around when I get a newer sled like you have done with the viper. I assume the viper is going to turn into more of your play sled.

My buddy bought a 2 year old one this year for his wife. 1st trip out it fried the starter stalled out and had to be towed home $600 from Yamaha. 3rd trip out (today) something else electrical (with a totally different code) caught fire and had to be towed home. Unless you're making $100K plus per year I think that they are a little too costly to run or even afford to buy in the 1st place for the cheapness in quality of them, just so you can have something that looks new. Plus 2 strokes are just so much more fun. Just my opinion many others won't agree.

I think the main reason is money, not alot of people have 18000 to drop on a new apex to ride only a couple months a year. I bet when the prices really come down more people will switch.

Sledding is an expensive sport/past time period. It does not matter if its a 20 year sled or new it just plain costs alot of money to play. I've been reading alot on both forums here and there sure seems to be alot more 2 strokes going down than 4 strokes.
There are alot of pros/cons going to 4 strokes but the way I see it now, the pros out weigh the cons

I sort of agree with Wayne's comments.They are way to costly to just have a nice looking sled.They are made cheaper in fit as most of them are because of weight savings.I sat on an Apex,did not like the way it felt at all.I guess if I was making over $100,ooo a year and ran some 5000 miles on trails every season..it would make sense. I am an off trial rider,find trails boring that are just plain groomed.Love the sound of the triple and always will. For the riding I do here...my sxr and SRX will do me nicely for the next 5 years.By that time I probaly will get out of the sport as it would be impossible to keep up with the costs of sledding..ie) initial cost of sled,insurance and the cost of gas.
If I can save a few more parts for the future on my current sleds..I could keep them going for another 10 years for a fraction of the cost of a new 4 stroke anyways.Each to there own. I am one of them guys that don't like buying anything new because of the amount you lose once it is off the dealers lot.I only bought 1 vehicle in my life new and that was back in 1978.I could buy it with cold cash back then.Ever since then I have always bought used cars or trucks that suited me fine.Call me cheap..yep..but everything I have is paid for and owe nothin to anyone(especially them greedy Banks) ;)!

I just purchased a 2010 XTX back in March of 2010 from a guy on the 4 stroke side I have only ridden the sled on 3 trips and I have fallen in LOVE with it. Its like riding on a rail thru the corners and the power and torque is AWESOME!!!!!!! I kept my 2 stroke sled and still ride them but the ride and handling of my proaction is NO comparision. Plus the new nytros look Awesome. There are very good deals on 4 strokes out there you just have to keep looking.

stein700sx said:
Sledding is an expensive sport/past time period. It does not matter if its a 20 year sled or new it just plain costs alot of money to play. I've been reading alot on both forums here and there sure seems to be alot more 2 strokes going down than 4 strokes.
There are alot of pros/cons going to 4 strokes but the way I see it now, the pros out weigh the cons

Not trying to argue, but my point is that there aren't many things that can go wrong with my srx that are going to cost much more than $700. I know a guy that had to rebuild build an Attak last year and said he was in about $4K by the time it was done. I realize that a 2 stroke motor won't generally last as long as a 4 stroke (although the one I have has 14000kms without a rebuild), but when something does happen I am confident that I can at least afford to fix it without going broke... I know I'll never have to shell out $600 for a starter anyway, hah;)

One of the guys I ride with has a 2009 Nitro XTX. We ride 3000 - 5000 miles every year. The Nitro has stood up very well.

M.02c

Pros:
-good on gas
-aging well, still looks like new
-will run an honest 100 mph on the hard pac in pretty well all temps

Cons:
-too small of a fuel tank...hurts range
-hard on hifax

Too many old-school thoughts from people that have never ever thrown a leg over a 4 stroke yet have very strong comments. Buy a good used one for 5k & see what your missing.
2 strokes are just so ancient.
No powervalves to mess with
mysterious burn downs for no reason
wondering about gas quality & octane & if your gonna detonate or be too lean
....yep i miss them 2 strokes!!!!!

never did own a yamy tripple myself but my smoker is still going to hang around because for ice fishing and trail breaking/making it is perfect. i can do it with my war but i can do it more easily with the old et. i bought that one because it was a good all around sled for what i needed and it still fits that niche at being 14 years old this season.

Wayne084 said:
Not trying to argue, but my point is that there aren't many things that can go wrong with my srx that are going to cost much more than $700. I know a guy that had to rebuild build an Attak last year and said he was in about $4K by the time it was done. I realize that a 2 stroke motor won't generally last as long as a 4 stroke (although the one I have has 14000kms without a rebuild), but when something does happen I am confident that I can at least afford to fix it without going broke... I know I'll never have to shell out $600 for a starter anyway, hah;)

In a way I agree with you, but your SRX doesn't cost 10k. so I think the price for fixing is somewhat relative with the price of the sled.

You don't have a starter on yours...right ?

$ 2500 sled ---------$ 700 fix
$ 10.000 sled--------$ 2000 fix, if that.

JMO

BTW if I could afford I would buy a used XTX (I've seen them for around $6000-$7500) I rode one for a day a couple years ago and loved it.

Nick

Last edited:
go over to the 4 stroke side & click on APEX. not a lot of happy '11 owners. even mike knapp sold his & went back to ski doo???
bob

sideshowBob said:
One of the guys I ride with has a 2009 Nitro XTX. We ride 3000 - 5000 miles every year. The Nitro has stood up very well.

M.02c

Pros:
-good on gas
-aging well, still looks like new
-will run an honest 100 mph on the hard pac in pretty well all temps

Cons:
-too small of a fuel tank...hurts range
-hard on hifax

I have to comment on the hyfax wear the gentleman I got my Nytro from got 1800 miles out of the original set of hyfaxs not bad in my opinion. I installed the new one when I got the sled and looked at them today and there is one spot up front that is showing more wear than the rest will keep and eye on them and I will come up with a fix for it. I have installed some additional wheels on it already. I am sure that grass drag racing didnt do my new hyfaxs much good also.

bufalobob said:
go over to the 4 stroke side & click on APEX. not a lot of happy '11 owners. even mike knapp sold his & went back to ski doo???
bob

I read his post stating that...kind of odd he unloaded that Apex XTX so quickly for a 1200 Doo! Maybe he's got some going on with Ski Doo?

knapp posts so many conflicting stories that contradict each post before it I can,t take him seriousely any more.
A sled kills b sled that kills c sled yet c sled runs with A sled....typical post from him.

I simply could not afford ANY new sled right now. they are ALL ridiculously priced for a sport with such a short season. yes they are packed with tech and nice machines ( 2 and 4 stroke) but I can just not justify the price of any. I would, however, get an apex or vector if I was buying new.

Back