SRX vs 800R

if you are racing, which I thought is what this thread was about, hp and weight kind of IS everything ;)

i ran against a 800r last year with my 2001 srx that has a custom helix and silver spring. and we started from a speed of 40k and i smoked him from start to stop.

yammyhamer408 said:
i ran against a 800r last year with my 2001 srx that has a custom helix and silver spring. and we started from a speed of 40k and i smoked him from start to stop.

;)! You chose that race wisely......my choice of race too.

If they'll bite for the running start, thats in our favour lol.

Drag strip, well thats another thing lol.

03viperguy said:
if you are racing, which I thought is what this thread was about, hp and weight kind of IS everything ;)

Only if that power is getting translated into forward motion... and once these mighty little three cylinder monsters get rolling they rev hard and quick at a pace that big twin has difficulty matching.

Maybe they don't have such a problem running at a high rpm. they just dont run as effeciently as our triples do at those high rpm's. small cylinders and firing every 120* does wonders.

Tayley, come to Lake Scugog with both sleds...you can trust me on the SRX, I had a 99 that Gerry clutched...the Iantomasi boys are simply the best...and if you don't trust me with your sled...my buddy has an 08 800r you can race...we could probably radar them the same day...I may be going down Sunday with my tweaked ( N/A ) Nytro if your interested.

bufalobob said:
a stock correctly clutched/set-up xp800 will crush a stock 700 srx. won't even be close. you guys must be racing a bunch of dummies!!
bob
I will disagree to a point Bob. I would say it depends on the race...1000', probably the XP...beyond that the SRX should reel it in....put them on a plowed track...could go any way but if the SRX can hook up, watch out. My buddies 08 XP 800r was garbage on a plowed track...and his suspension was dialed in. XP's also have terrible top end compared to an SRX..again my buddies was only good for 109mph at best ( they are not top end sleds )...any SRX should run 114 or better. On hardpack I would say XP..again to about 1000'..but in a long race I would say SRX.

factory gearing for the 800R is 104 mph @ 1:1.
factory gearing for the srx is 111 mph @ 1:1.
gear the 800R the same as the srx & the 800R is snow dust in the distance.
bob

I always smirk at things like that. if all things WERE equal (ie:gearing) then they would be the same sled. fact is they all made them different for reasons. hey, if my viper came with triple pipes it would keep up with a srx better. srx is for sure more of a top end lake racer, and the mxz is corner to corner speed and pulling hard under trail conditions. shows you how far the trail sleds have come that we can even compare them to lake racers of years past! and how good the srx was to keep up and compete with new iron that has new tech (fuel injection and less weight) and 100cc more.

a stock 700 cc srx a top end lake racer??? LOL!
pipes are not allowed in stock class....but gearing & clutch changes are.
bob

bufalobob said:
a stock 700 cc srx a top end lake racer??? LOL!
pipes are not allowed in stock class....but gearing & clutch changes are.
bob

Stock class? what's that? Some of us actually go out on a lake and just race for fun bob...pretty sure that' what the op is planning on doing. ;)!

I meant that the SRX was sold as a lake racer, hence the low suspension etc. the mxz was not, hence long travel and low gearing. I thought the op was talking about having each one and simply racing a buddy on the lake.

shadow44 said:
Tayley, come to Lake Scugog with both sleds...you can trust me on the SRX, I had a 99 that Gerry clutched...the Iantomasi boys are simply the best...and if you don't trust me with your sled...my buddy has an 08 800r you can race...we could probably radar them the same day...I may be going down Sunday with my tweaked ( N/A ) Nytro if your interested.
Hey shadow, probably going saturday but not 100% sure. What time are you thinking sunday? Going to bring the video camera also. Radar sounds awesome too.

03viperguy said:
I meant that the SRX was sold as a lake racer, hence the low suspension etc. the mxz was not, hence long travel and low gearing. I thought the op was talking about having each one and simply racing a buddy on the lake.
I own both and just doing this for some fun. I know if one hooks and the other doesnt its going to take the whole lake for one to catch the other (if it can). Im curious which one accelerates harder and which one is faster on top. Probably do some rolling starts. Trails are fubar around here so I have to do something lol. All for fun gents. :flag:

Last edited:
Sold my SRX this year and bought a 2010 Renegade 800R. One ride and the 800r feels every bit as fast as the SRX. Have a friend with an 08 800R and he pretty much owned my SRX last year. Just sharing my real world results so don't shoot me.

Zach, what made you get rid of the SRX? I know you got rid of the viper to go back to one. have a buddy that works for a doo dealer and says the 800 is a good strong motor.

03viperguy said:
ACTUALLY THE SRX WAS SOLD AS A *** KICKING GRASS RACER. (no kidding ). NOWHERE HAS THE SRX DOMINATED FROM 1998/2002 THAN AT THE GRASS DRAGS. THATS WHY THESE SLEDS ARE TERRIBLE IN DEEP SNOW. I ONCE WAS AT THE YAMAHA SPRING POWER SURGE SHOW AND THE FACTORY REP NEVER EVER TALKED ABOUT THE SRX AS A SNOWMOBILE. HE TALKED ABOUT HOW THIS SLED WAS GONNA KILL AT THE FALL GRASS DRAGS. lol. 3:16 (yammie tony)

Tayley said:
Hey shadow, probably going saturday but not 100% sure. What time are you thinking sunday? Going to bring the video camera also. Radar sounds awesome too.

I'm thinking of being out there from 11am till 1pm...or 1pm till 3pm...not sure yet but will let you kno.w on here early sunday morning. If you bring the camera can you post vids on youtube?

03viperguy said:
Zach, what made you get rid of the SRX? I know you got rid of the viper to go back to one. have a buddy that works for a doo dealer and says the 800 is a good strong motor.

Back surgery last March. Add to that a new camp in the mountains. I anticipate more off trail riding and needed something lite and more back friendly. Just can't do the 4 stroke thing.

Back