SRX vs 800R

shadow44 said:
I'm thinking of being out there from 11am till 1pm...or 1pm till 3pm...not sure yet but will let you kno.w on here early sunday morning. If you bring the camera can you post vids on youtube?
Im definitely going to be there around noon on saturday and I will try to get there sunday as well but not sure (wife might have something to say about that). Im going to try to post them on youtube so the boys on totallyamaha can see but I have never done it before so we will see how that goes.

Zachalyse said:
Back surgery last March. Add to that a new camp in the mountains. I anticipate more off trail riding and needed something lite and more back friendly. Just can't do the 4 stroke thing.
ugh, sorry man. ridden the new 4 strokes? I LOVE the apex motor, but can see wanting lighter for deep snow

Tayley said:
Im definitely going to be there around noon on saturday and I will try to get there sunday as well but not sure (wife might have something to say about that). Im going to try to post them on youtube so the boys on totallyamaha can see but I have never done it before so we will see how that goes.

hey Tayley..I'm going down today, around 11 but doubt I'm bringing the radar, too much powder out there...look for me, I'm riding an all white and yellow Nytro...one of a kind.

03viperguy said:
ugh, sorry man. ridden the new 4 strokes? I LOVE the apex motor, but can see wanting lighter for deep snow

Yup, test drove both the Apex and the Nytro. Hated the Nytro. The back shift on that thing was nuts. Nearly sent me over the hood every corner. I'm sure it was just more of a get use to thing. I did like the Apex motor, but it really just seemed like a grunted up SRX trail sled. Certainly not for the powder. Again, just my opinion. I still have blue blood. Yamaha just doesn't have a sled that interest me right now..

shadow44 said:
hey Tayley..I'm going down today, around 11 but doubt I'm bringing the radar, too much powder out there...look for me, I'm riding an all white and yellow Nytro...one of a kind.
Sorry shadow couldnt get down there today. hope there was more people there today than yesterday. It was dead. I havent done the lake thing in years and there used to be at least 25 guys down there sometime triple that. We ran up to the upper end were they used to plow a track and not a soul either. That used to be jumpin up there. More huts then I ever seen before though. let me know again next time and I will meet up with ya.

i had a chance to run them both yesterday and it was all 800R gents. Lake was crap for racing and really bad conditions for the SRX. No traction and 4to6 inches of fluffy snow. Even doing roll ons the Doo would power away at least 5 sled lenghts and then pretty much stay there. Had a chance at 1 point to run beside a attack with the SRX on what was probably the best stretch on the lake and we were dead even. Again really inconsistant conditions to base much on but those are the results on that day. All in all it was a great day and I had the opportunity to get a ex sledder back out for some fun on the snow.

Tayley said:
Sorry shadow couldnt get down there today. hope there was more people there today than yesterday. It was dead. I havent done the lake thing in years and there used to be at least 25 guys down there sometime triple that. We ran up to the upper end were they used to plow a track and not a soul either. That used to be jumpin up there. More huts then I ever seen before though. let me know again next time and I will meet up with ya.

It was much better today..snow was packed...or as close as you could get it...and there were alot of sleds...I missed the boosted Nytro that made over 300hp, but there was a boosted 11 Apex that seemed to haul arse. I'm glad to say I was able to hold my own, I even think I can run with the 800R to 1000ft or more.

Argento102 said:
We have my 98' weighing in at 502 wet with half a tank of gas. ;)!

I am going to half to disagree with this statement...I have nearly every conceivable light weight part on my sled possible and my sled came in at 508# with about a gallon of gas in it. These sleds weight about 555-560# stock on our calibrated scale.

What all have you done to your sled to drop ~90# out of the sled if you did have half a tank of gas (~35# conservatively)?

Last edited:
Tayley said:
i had a chance to run them both yesterday and it was all 800R gents. Lake was crap for racing and really bad conditions for the SRX. No traction and 4to6 inches of fluffy snow. Even doing roll ons the Doo would power away at least 5 sled lenghts and then pretty much stay there. Had a chance at 1 point to run beside a attack with the SRX on what was probably the best stretch on the lake and we were dead even. Again really inconsistant conditions to base much on but those are the results on that day. All in all it was a great day and I had the opportunity to get a ex sledder back out for some fun on the snow.

And that was a powertek, or a non 800 etec, right?

The etec 800's are even faster if you can believe that.

my 835 w/ bender pipes, reverse, predator w/ 192 megabites, full oil & coolant ( + tunnel heat exchangers ) & around 3 gal gas was 555# on longacre race scales!!
bob

bufalobob said:
my 835 w/ bender pipes, reverse, predator w/ 192 megabites, full oil & coolant ( + tunnel heat exchangers ) & around 3 gal gas was 555# on longacre race scales!!
bob

That sounds about right, I bet those pipes alone dropped 12-15 pounds off the sled easy. That 555 that I mentioned was full of coolant and oil. I don't have those pipes to weight but I know power inc's are 18 pounds lighter than stock and aaen are 22 pounds lighter than stock.

I have had both sleds, 2001 srx and I currently ride a 09 800r renegade. The srx was a fun sled, in fact I rode with a 2005 mach z (poor one) and beat him every time we lined them up. That being said, my 800r is unbelievable to 100. There is no way my srx would stay with it, would it catch it? Yes, eventually but you would need 1/2 mile or more to do it. As much as I loved my srx it's just not a fair race. The 2011 800 etec is a step up in power from the 800r. I sure miss the sweet sound of that motor (srx).......But my back thanks me every day for making the upgrade.

I have 3300 trouble free miles on my 800r, I did buy the BEST Warrenty and its good until 10-2014 so we will see how many mile I can get on the original engine.

Bill D

im gonna say this and let me tell you i got beat by this same 800etec the same night...
me and my friend have identical srx700's except for clutching i run stock weights (at least i was that night)

on about 800' of plowed ice we lined up
2srx 700
1 arctic turbo 1100
1 800 etec (900miles onit)
from a stop my boys srx followed by me and the etec then last the cat...

then they wanted to go from a roll... knowing my friends sled is faster top end then mine i sat this one out he pulled both the cat and that 800 etec all the way not alot but enough... they repeated this a couple times with the same results srx700 every time...

now that being said my sled with 8dn 20 weights got beat to 100 1 on 1 with that etec

BTW that big cat is just that a big sloppy fat cat

Back