98 SRX 700 vs 96 Polaris Ultra

Well, beat up on the ultra pretty good. lake was glare ice for the radar runs, so we never ran head to head, but he ran a best of 76 mph in 660', and my best run was 82, so no more smack talk from him. Had to leave early but the ice was getting softer every run I made, so the traction was coming to me, really were only running 550' b/c you couldn't get on the throttle without spinning the track until about 100' out. Pretty happy with the sled considering having very little traction, even was running a little faster than a couple Nytro's that were there.

8.1chevHD said:
Well, beat up on the ultra pretty good. lake was glare ice for the radar runs, so we never ran head to head, but he ran a best of 76 mph in 660', and my best run was 82, so no more smack talk from him. Had to leave early but the ice was getting softer every run I made, so the traction was coming to me, really were only running 550' b/c you couldn't get on the throttle without spinning the track until about 100' out. Pretty happy with the sled considering having very little traction, even was running a little faster than a couple Nytro's that were there.

Good for you especially after he ribbed you!! Soft ice must have meant warm temps. Too bad it wasn't colder ,your speed would have been better.

actually my sled seems to run the fastest around 25 degrees or so, can get the dreamometer to 120 then, and only about 113 when it is 10 or colder, so i think I would have made the 90mph mark by the end of the day.

journeyman said:
My good friend who used to be in the pro circuit ice drags running against Knapp and Haucks has had both the single piped 1996 Ultra (with and without aftermarket SLPs) and also still owns a 97 SPX triple triple version. This guy has won a few big races in his day so he has his connections let's say.

His 96 680cc Ultra was like jeckyl and hyde. Most of the time it was a turd with or without pipes. It was the most finicky sled I have ever seen. It blew a ton of belts too. Most of the time I could beat him when I had my dialed 97 600SX but on occasion when he had the SLPs on it........if all the stars, barometric pressure...air temps....YOU KNOW....were lined up it would kill me. The sled had potential but 95% of the time it was a toilet. Strange sled.

Now the SPX......that thing I am not impressed with at all. My current Viper will destroy it everytime. It just sounds fast with those noisy factory triple pipes.

If your SRX runs at all decent my money is on that.

This is kind of crazy. Just talked with this friend Saturday and he bought another 1996 Ultra bone stock. He wanted to go riding with me but I was busy. He is a die hard Fuji triple Polaris guy and really loved that old Ultra even though it had gremlins. He was NOt happy when Polaris went to the twin cylinder motors and dropped Fuji. He reminds me of my friend at work who is a die hard Yammie SRX guy.

8.1chevHD said:
This one is the 97 spx se with triple pipes (factory) the only mod is vforce reeds i guess, if he gets it broke in this weekend we will run, i will keep you guys up to date. Don't think I will have much trouble.
Huge difference between a 1997 Ultra SPX with factory triple pipes in the Aggresive chassis vs. a 1996 Ultra in the wedge chassis that has aftermarket triple pipes. The 96 will destroy the 97!! I had a 1996 Ultra with PSI triple pipes and it was faster than my 2000 SRX700.

Back