98 SRX 700 vs 96 Polaris Ultra

Shrader

98 SRX 700 vs 97 Polaris Ultra spx se

Love the new forum. Got a buddy talking smack about his piped ultra, says it's the fastest thing around. What are his chances against my 98 SRX? stock srx, with the loaded 8dn20 set up,www primary spring, green secondary spring and a 51/43 helix. I know set up correctly these Ultras can make 135+ hp, driver weight is the same. Fire away.

Last edited:

If I was a betting man I would say you got him, but I'm not and you never know.
Besides clutching what other mods have you done? What are you running for a track? Do you have studs?

Run them and see.

Those ultras when pipes were pretty stout, I wouldn't assume you will beat him, although I would wager you would win on the SRX, traction being equal of course.

No other mods besides the clutching, and adjustable transfer rods. the sled had a new 1" camoplast track on it when i bought it, i think an energy? will be studded next week, I have only put 65 miles on the sled since i owned it, and can see they have traction issues.

piped ultras properly set up are pushing 150ish hp & run hard. We have a few of em in our drag race circuit here & they are no slouches when tuned properly.

A few years back I watched a guy with a piped Ultra 700 doing radar runs...probably around 1000...F7s and SRXs were running 99-101 mph....he was running 107-110..He raised a few eyebrows with that sled causs it looked like a pile o crap but ran hard...big fat dude to boot lol.

Ok so I had a stock ultra a few years back. It was a great sled other than every other 700 would always be faster . With no power valves why does adding pipes give that sled so much more . That said there was another dude a round that had a ultra that he made into an 800 and it had triple ppipes. I A thought he re we go time to run . Gotta serious spanking, but they always made fun of the dude cause everytime he would ride it he wouldn't make it 100 mile without blowing up.
Guess what I found as I came around the corner, an ultra with the hood up.

Last edited:
Took a look at the polaris the other day, and it is a 97 spx se not a 96 like he said, the engine is being rebuilt now lol, but the race is on in a week or 2, I had a xcr 600 new in 97, and that one was a huge pos, wondering how much better the ultra would be?

Just so everyone knows, that there were triple piped ultras, and single piped ones too. Unless it was a SPX, or whatever Polaris felt like calling them that particular year, they were only single piped. There was a huge difference between single and factory triple piped ultras.

This one is the 97 spx se with triple pipes (factory) the only mod is vforce reeds i guess, if he gets it broke in this weekend we will run, i will keep you guys up to date. Don't think I will have much trouble.

My good friend who used to be in the pro circuit ice drags running against Knapp and Haucks has had both the single piped 1996 Ultra (with and without aftermarket SLPs) and also still owns a 97 SPX triple triple version. This guy has won a few big races in his day so he has his connections let's say.

His 96 680cc Ultra was like jeckyl and hyde. Most of the time it was a turd with or without pipes. It was the most finicky sled I have ever seen. It blew a ton of belts too. Most of the time I could beat him when I had my dialed 97 600SX but on occasion when he had the SLPs on it........if all the stars, barometric pressure...air temps....YOU KNOW....were lined up it would kill me. The sled had potential but 95% of the time it was a toilet. Strange sled.

Now the SPX......that thing I am not impressed with at all. My current Viper will destroy it everytime. It just sounds fast with those noisy factory triple pipes.

If your SRX runs at all decent my money is on that.

I saw an old wedge chassis ultra running some very nice speeds last weekend.

It was faster than the 800 mxz (zx chassis) by quite a bit.

horkn said:
I saw an old wedge chassis ultra running some very nice speeds last weekend.

It was faster than the 800 mxz (zx chassis) by quite a bit.

When the stars were lined up....(like I said)....they went like all out with pipes. Maybe after all these years someone has figured out what was causing their issues.

good luck with that one, ultra with pipes is over 150 horse. those traditional chassis' were pretty fast as far as top end goes too.

bluerocket said:
good luck with that one, ultra with pipes is over 150 horse. those traditional chassis' were pretty fast as far as top end goes too.

I don't know the hp wise on them, but I do know this one, and all the other ones I've seen have gone very well against similar competition ( 700 triple triples)..

The wedge and Gen 2 sleds were always the fastest chassis for polaris. Once the edge chassis came out, they slowed down a good amount. Makes me glad I did not pay the extra 600 dollars (back in snow check for spring of 99) for the edge chassis 600 VES versus my gen2 xc600 sp VES. Some say its the hood design of the edge that slows them down, and some say the edge suspension slows them down too.

Back