Need some input from everyone about this tech section?

Would you change this from tech to general sled discussion?

• yes please change asap

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • yes but name it general talk

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • no ( explain in thread please)

Votes: 15 57.7%
  • glad to see this is finally happening we needed this

Votes: 2 7.7%

• Total voters

hereismylife

Website
www.hereismylife.com
I am working on getting the faq and tech faq built...

I have a idea here and looking to see what you guys think?

We have a general Yamaha talk section in the general area....

There is a lot of sled stuff posted there (here is the link)

I think it would be great to have all the sled stuff together in the sled section.

What do u guys/girls think about having the general Yamaha discussion here?

Instead of calling this tech it would be called general Yamaha discussion

We can put stuff like this here instead of under the general section since it is sled related?

http://www.totallyamaha.net/forums/showthread.php?t=75744

http://www.totallyamaha.net/forums/showthread.php?t=76397

http://www.totallyamaha.net/forums/showthread.php?t=76750

Thanks to anyone who gives input..... ;)!

Last edited:

i for one thought the site was doing just fine prior to all the additions of new unnessecary sub forums and the recent more frequently moving this and moving that. its beginning to be confusing.

i am having flashbacks of other sites that took the gestapo approach and people were afraid to post a question for fear of it being the wrong section or new blood making a post and being constanly reminded to look in the faq section and there is nothing presented in that section pertaining to the original question. then the newcomers fade away, or the regulars become annoyed.

my thougths are "if it aint broke, dont fix it". or i guess you could "mod it till it breaks".

perhaps an explanation as to the sudden need for all this formality may help me as well as others who have been here for awhile understand the concept behind the new policy.

it would seem to be in the best interest of a forum such as this to want the most posts possible as well as the most hits. a win win for owners and advertisers.

just my opinion. bash away.

There are so many different spot for sled posts. Now that things are more clear on where to post it will make it easier for the mods to keep an eye on things.
A lot was over do for cleaning.

Now if you are talking about sleds and need to find stuff about sleds. It is all in the sled section....

As far as changes...good things take time.....

There has been a lot of great feedback on the new changes so far. ;)!

Also searching for things were also a fight so now when you want to search it should be a lot easier also.

Thanks for the post..... ;)!

snowdad4 x 2 . I agree 100% that this site is fine. The catigories are also great. If I have a question about something like track tension, I'll ask it in general discussion (of course after the proper search so that I don't get made to look a fool with a cut and past link to the tech faq section that doesn't even answer the specific question that I ask). Who cares if the next post is someone else asking what kind of boots are the warmest or something. You pick posts to read by the title. What does having another section accomplish, it won't be any quicker, I'd have to goto yet another section to review posts then, not to mention I may ask a question in the wrong general section. Then of course we'd have to have notes at the top of theese forums telling people what to post in here, then people's posts would be getting moved and deleted, then people would get mad about it and more squabbling. Sounds extreme, sort of is, but all I know is that currently this site is a pleasure to use, and I absolutely dread when I have to go to DooTalk to try to find out something, and forget even bothering looking through daily posts there. I think this site runs very efficiently the way it is and I can't figgure out why you are so determined to make changes to it. I have noticed that you yourself (like most of us) have even been guilty of having redundant questions (ie. piping a viper, best skid, which exhaust is better, etc) so why are you so worried about everyone else? If there has to be another section added to this site, I'd rather it be Doo Tech so i can get my doo info from this site too... but I won't hold my breath for that one either.

I am with Snowdad.... For the time that I had lurked here (before being a paying customer/VIP status) I had no issues with searches or finding information then and as of lately I notice there are alot of moved and "mis-categorized" posts which made me think, did I miss something??

I'm with dad, wayne, & sxr. Don't know why things are being moved all the time lately. General discussion is for the misc. things, the lounge is for bullshittin, & the model specific areas are for the more technical stuff. That's the way i always try to post questions or info. The way you guys are moving stuff, most everything in the srx/viper, vmax/sx, mountain departments would be in the tech section, then it would be all lumped together & no longer model specific. I think you guys are overthinking an already good arrangement. I would like to post the preliminary findings of my updated vmax 600 twin setup, where should I put it? Just my opinion.

I've been on this site for a number of years now and i find most info easy to get. It has been relevantly simple to just look for your model in the forum and do a search.As for newbies asking the same questions about topics, i think by adding all the info into these sub forums would simply confuse the hell out of them. Most likely result in more questions being asked about where to find info , instead of info helping fix their machine.just my 2 cents.

ottawaair said:
I'm with dad, wayne, & sxr. Don't know why things are being moved all the time lately. General discussion is for the misc. things, the lounge is for bullshittin, & the model specific areas are for the more technical stuff. That's the way i always try to post questions or info. The way you guys are moving stuff, most everything in the srx/viper, vmax/sx, mountain departments would be in the tech section, then it would be all lumped together & no longer model specific. I think you guys are overthinking an already good arrangement. I would like to post the preliminary findings of my updated vmax 600 twin setup, where should I put it? Just my opinion.

X4 - if it ain't broke.....

Even with the "poll" what makes you think anyone is going to listen????

I am a newbie to the site but I like the current layout. Found it very easy to use/find my way around so to speak. I did several searchs for carb cleaning and a few were very easy to find, there was one talking about the float needles and seat/screens that I stumble around finding a second time. Ended up thats where my problem was, The very end (point on rubber tip) had broke off and clogged circuit.

i thought the forum was just fine when i first started searching it even before i became a member and started posting. shortly thereafter this whole "reorganizing" started. i think a lot of it is off putting to new comers. half of the fun of participating in this forum is asking questions and getting answers back from real people. when people get all uptight when someone new asks how to take off his carburators it seems kind of rude to me to just keep refering them to a faq list some guy put together. i obviously don't have the perspective of someone who's in charge of running a forum but i thought it was ok to begin with. the most appealling part of participating in this thing is the interaction with people who like yamaha snowmobiles, not searching faq lists to find your answer.

I spent about SIXTEEN THOUSAND DOLLARS on my Challenger that RAN FINE, just because I wanted to race in the "nines" instead of the "tens" or "elevens" like it used to be... A friend told me "if it works fine,,, DON'T FIX IT" I keep telling him that I'm NOT fixing it,, just FINE TUNING it.. Tom isn't too good taking suggestions,, ( at least from ME he isn't) and I wouldn't hold my breath trying to change TOTALLYAMAHA.. it works for a LOT OF GUYS !!! Who cares if you have to read from a LIST of "fixes" at least there's a LIST of fixes to look at !!!!!

well it is a yamaha forum.. i think a general section for yamaha sled talk would be great less confusin at some points in this site..

I thought the old site was good .when it changed to the new forum I could not log back in and I lost my profile. I had to start all over under a new name.i think the only thing that needs to change is we need more snow let it snow.

I thought the old site was good .when it changed to the new forum I could not log back in and I lost my profile. I had to start all over under a new name.i think the only thing that needs to change is we need more snow let it snow.

This thread is from long before the site change. Please PM me your old username, we may be able to get that back online for you.
TY staff

What I would like to see is a new page for the pre pro-action sleds that fall in between the leaf spring sleds and trailing arm sleds. I know we have the max 4 page but I see not a lot but a fair amount of people making posts about picking up a vmax and its a pogo vmax with the twins. It might be nice to have a page just for the pogo sleds or change the vmax 4 page to include all pogo sleds. They seem to be enough of their own animal to have a dedicated page.

Back