News on the 2012 sleds anyone?

Our SRX's and Vipers aren't light either. They were heavier than the others when they were new too. They were never jumpers or ditch bangers, but we bought them because they were fast and reliable. I agree the 4-strokes are heavy but that rarely impacts trail riding. There are things I don't like about Yamaha, and things I like about the others, but there's no way I would ride another brand. I bleed blue (and I'm inked blue!).

Yamaha rarely does what we would like it to and that's frustrating, but jumping ship will just bring another type of frustration! Keep the faith!

Zachalyse said:
Careful..I traded my SRX in for a 2010 XP 800R. I'm already $1500 in the hole. And that's just labor cost. $2500 motor was on BRP. I don't call that a minor issue
sorry to hear thats how its going for you. maybe whoever bought the srx in in the market for a low mile 800 doo?? ;) best of luck man, what was the issue?

ajviper said:
Is it an Etec? I have heard about issues with the 800s, but I wasn't aware of the 800etecs having major issues. However, I'm currently leaning towards the 600etec or maybe even an 09 500ss TNT. The 597cc motor is pretty solid and would be plenty for 80% of my riding.

Didn't you have a viper?

nope, an 800r, so no etec, plus it was a 2010, again no etec.

I thought the dootalk guys seemed to be frowning on the 800r. not really heard a lot about the etec, but I havent been looking either

03viperguy said:
I thought the dootalk guys seemed to be frowning on the 800r. not really heard a lot about the etec, but I havent been looking either

Pretty much everyone knows about the issues with 800r powertek motors. I wouldn't buy one unless it had a full engine warranty, and I would probably only keep it while it was under warranty.

Now the etec 800 has only been out not even a year, but they had prototypes last year, and I know doo does not want another black eye for their 800's like the powerteks gave them. With all the 600 etecs out there for several years now, I wouldn't have any qualms of buying any sized etec. That ltd racer 800 2010.5 etec I rode last year was amazing.

2datrl said:
Meeeeeeeeeee toooooooooo
2datrl
I'd like to see another Viper S - but with updated ergonomics. I like my 600 etec Renegade, but that Viper S was a sweet machine - I miss the triple!

2800 miles on the 600 etec stock belt - no issues. Until Saturday - making weird noises and not idling properly.

YES - Bring back an updated Viper - that would be great - and I would by one - but sell it for what it is - don't hype it up.

Last edited:
I thought the "new" polaris models were pretty boring myself. nothing really new, just trickle down chassis

venture700 said:
polaris released 3 new 2012 models today. the rmk pro 600 looks like it would be a pretty good machine. 431 lbs can you imagine!

I hope their chassis is better. Hearing reports of running boards cracking on 2011 models.

The 136" pro ride chassis is a big deal. It's easy to simply overlook the addition of the 136" with the rush's best rear suspension in the biz combo, but that should be the sweet spot. the 121" rush is already in a class of it's own.

I have yet to hear of anyone having issues with the frame on 2011 polaris sleds, let alone the rush.

I think some folks hear that the rush is "glued together" and assume it won't hold up. That was the talk when the rush pro ride was introduced. Sport bikes have been "glued together" for several years now and have had no issues with it.

New technology applied to a segment is always going to cause controversy about relaibility.

Time usually sorts the reality out from the claims.

I have no issues with the structural bonding, just that all I have heard was it was an overhyped rear skid that really didnt live up. I know snotech specifically said they were not that impressed and they seem to be pretty spot on and an unbiased opinion. personally, if it is missing the rear of the sled I think it should weight a LOT less than it does!

I believe I read the same snowtech as you did, but I recall them saying that the skid needs some tuning to be perfect, and that no brand new sled was 100% spot on for tuning the first year. I re read that article again over deer hunting this late fall. It takes a couple years usually to get everything sorted out, between some OEM and aftermarket R&D.

the srx's still hold'n their own

Aside of the suspension factor these new sleds still have their work cut out for them when they come up against the devil in the blue dress.good hard pack trail and they are pretty much untouchable.I'll be keeping the srx ,i bleed blue and there's no way i'll go yellow. lol if your not first you must be yellow

horkn said:
I believe I read the same snowtech as you did, but I recall them saying that the skid needs some tuning to be perfect, and that no brand new sled was 100% spot on for tuning the first year. I re read that article again over deer hunting this late fall. It takes a couple years usually to get everything sorted out, between some OEM and aftermarket R&D.
could be. I like the concept, just might be a bit overhyped from what I have heard. I still think the edge chassis was great though, and the iq is nice once they got past the fusion :)

What i want: a lighter mtn sled. Something to compete with the other brands.

What ill get: reworked entry level sled, new graphics, maybe a on-board heater to go along with the power steering, and disappointment

Guess its a few more years on the viper.

sledr3405 said:
What i want: a lighter mtn sled. Something to compete with the other brands.

What ill get: reworked entry level sled, new graphics, maybe a on-board heater to go along with the power steering, and disappointment

Guess its a few more years on the viper.

Don't forget a speaker system and 2 cup holders.

Back