E15 Gasahol approved by EPA

does michigan have to label the pumps? in wi they have to. i think im going to order a tester just to see if we really have 10%.

nosboy, i just said that because reps always get blamed for all the problems in the country VIA. MEDIA, when the the dems have been in power(congress and states) for 80-90 percent of the time. look up history of congress. i personaly do not believe in the carbon foot print scam, pushed by the left. and was looking for your input(facts) pro or con. here in wi. the gov. has been paying farmers for years to keep land vacant. and if trees grow there they must cut them down to keep receiving there money, now if the gov. makes the demand for ethonal enough that the crop is worth more than the pay for doing nothing, they may plant corn if they can. and this is a dem state. why is there such a fear of talking politics when it effects everything around you!

Last edited:
Chicago, sounds familiar, didn't we have one of the presidents from that crooked town? Cant remember his name? Seems so he was some kind of Senator, who won his seat only because the opponent had been outed in an affair just before the election. The rest, I am trying to forget, it might take a trip to the Dollhouse to get that guy out of my mind.

Okay seriously. Ethanol is a problem for our sleds. Any solutions or ideas how to protect our engines from the problems it causes? Additives? Carb set up?

the only thing you can do is try to make sure its fresh, use a busy station, bring mason jar and check to see if the fuel is foggy. dont let the sled sit for long periods with fuel in it. for storage drain tank, run engine dry and fog the hell out of it right away dont wait till its warm! preventative maintance is key with this fuel.

snomofo, nah, I don't see your posts as jumping on me at all.

It's a discussion. All good so far. I'm sure I'll have more comments after the weekend after I put on some "thinking miles" on the sleds.

Last edited:
BARON 8BU said:
Okay seriously. Ethanol is a problem for our sleds. Any solutions or ideas how to protect our engines from the problems it causes? Additives? Carb set up?
Ethanol is a problem because we are used to just leaving our sleds sit for NINE MONTHS without doing anything to "store" them or to "keep them safe"... CONTRARY to popular beliefs,,,,, you can actually make MORE POWER using ALCOHOL than you can with GASOLINE... The "octane rating" of METHANOL is somewheres around 130.. You can introduce FOUR TIMES the METHANOL in a cumbustion chamber than you can gasoline.. you can make almost TWICE THE POWER with ALCOHOL vs gasoline,, Yes,, you have to take precautions and you need a different delivery system .. You need a LOT BETTER lubricant at a LOT MORE QUANTITY,,, but,,,, if you DO THE MATH and DO YOUR HOMEWORK,,, METHANOL or ETHANOL can be useful and can ALSO PREVENT "spark knock" or detonation. There are a LOT OF THINGS you need to know and a LOT OF PRECAUTIONS,,,, but,, it's NOT SO BAD AFTER ALL.... People have been throwing EXCESS METHANOL in their cars for FIFTY YEARS ( little yellow bottles of HEET)..... WIthout problems... People have been using things like SEA-FOAM for YEARS !!!!!

no1chevyboy said:
the only thing you can do is try to make sure its fresh, use a busy station, bring mason jar and check to see if the fuel is foggy. dont let the sled sit for long periods with fuel in it. for storage drain tank, run engine dry and fog the hell out of it right away dont wait till its warm! preventative maintance is key with this fuel.
I wrote articles about Hands on and book smart.. People use "hands on " approaches that their grandfathers taught them... The little yellow bottles of HEET,,,, for example.. When it gets REALLY COLD here in Chicago,,,, people buy those little yellow bottles of HEET by the HANDSFUL !!! You see them OVERFLOWING out of the garbage cans at the local gas stations.. WHY????? Because "hands on" people told them that it will UNTHAW frozen gas lines.... You already have 10% (soon to be 15% ) so,,, if you have a 20 gallon fuel tank,,, you have 256 ounces of that CRAP in there already,,, WHAT THE hElL do you need another bottle for???????? Hands on??????

Nosboy is SPOT on about the heet ( not needed anymore with ethanol blended fuels), and the fact that ethanol can make more hp than regular gas.

The big issue is that many motors were not intended to be using anything more than e10, and actually were not even intended for use with any ethanol.

horkn said:
Nosboy is SPOT on about the heet ( not needed anymore with ethanol blended fuels), and the fact that ethanol can make more hp than regular gas.

The big issue is that many motors were not intended to be using anything more than e10, and actually were not even intended for use with any ethanol.
You're ABSOLUTELY RIGHT !!! My point,,, that I'm trying to make,,,, is,,,, ALCOHOL ( either Methanol OR Ethanol )really isn't bad at all IF you take proper precautions.. You wouldn't believe the people who use FUEL that is SIX MONTHS OLD just because ' It'll be alright" and "gas is THREE DOLLARS A GALLON" or "where am I going to dispose of it at???" Well,, thinking like that WILL COST YOU BIG BUCKS ,, IF,, you're NOT EDUCATED OR you don't pay attention to details... STAY HOME !!!

Fuel lasts a MONTH.. BELIEVE ME.... it lasts a MONTH... Some stations get fuel ONCE A WEEK... BUY your fuel from a station that SELLS A LOT OF FUEL.. Preferably one thats right on a trail... BUY ONLY PREMIUM FUEL and NEVER take fuel out of a plastic or metal can.. ESPECIALLY IF ITS VENTED or the vent is OPEN !!! It's BAD ENOUGH if you buy it from an OUTSIDE TANK because of the BAD VENTING SYSTEM.. ESPECIALLY if the tank is painted ANY OTHER COLOR THAN WHITE !!!!!! White tanks do NOT get hotter with the sunlight.. DARK TANKS DO !!!! Dark outside tanks create MUCH MORE CONDENSATION and will MAKE MORE WATER IN the fuel.. It will ALSO FREEZE SOLID and NOT BE A PROBLEM when it's REALLY COLD OUTSIDE because of the seperation and OUTSIDE FUELS get colder than underground fuels do !!! So, if it's 20 below and a dark OUTSIDE tank,, the fuel will be SAFER than an outside tank if it's in the teens or twenties ABOVE zero....EITHER WAY,, STAY AWAY FROM outside/above ground TANKS IF POSSIBLE!!!!

FYI The big 4 manufacturers ARE doing testing on current 2 and 4 stroke sleds with the implementation of E15+ as well as independant research facilities . I knew this back in October when I saw the research project get proposed.

Ive been exposed with running e2x up to e85 on a research sled for the past couple years. So running a sled with ethanol is not really that new...

horkn said:

You're right and I agree Gary is right on. I just had to give him some gruff for "unthaw frozen". I usually thaw my frozen peas.

...and surprise, I may even agree with him about farm subsidies. Let the market drive, eliminate it ALL.

For the record, I dump ALL drained fuel in my car...

snomofo said:
You're right and I agree Gary is right on. I just had to give him some gruff for "unthaw frozen". I usually thaw my frozen peas.

...and surprise, I may even agree with him about farm subsidies. Let the market drive, eliminate it ALL.

For the record, I dump ALL drained fuel in my car...

Yeah, I see that;)

I suppose you and I don't buy "hot water heaters" either. If it's hot already, why heat it?;)

snomofo said:
horkn said:
Yeah, I see that;)

I suppose you and I don't buy "hot water heaters" either. If it's hot already, why heat it?;)

LOL!! I guess you guys have a point there!!

Last edited:
sleddineinar said:
LOL!! I guess you guys have a point there!!
In Chicago, you unthaw frozen pipes.. I dunno WHY,, but Da Bears is proper english too ! !!!

nosboy said:
In Chicago, you unthaw frozen pipes.. I dunno WHY,, but Da Bears is proper english too ! !!!

What does a Bears (or Bulls, or 'hawks) fan do with a frozen braut before grillin", leave it on the counter to thaw-out or unthaw it?

Or, if freezin' a braut is sacrilege, how about a pot roast?

Or are the only things that get unthawed pipes and fuel lines?

Back