E15 Gasahol approved by EPA

Daring

Automotive News

January 20, 2011 - 6:46 pm EST

UPDATED: 1/21/11 12:42 pm EST

WASHINGTON – Gasoline can be sold with as much as 15 percent ethanol – up from the current 10 percent limit - in vehicles made between 2001 and 2006, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency said today.

The Obama administration's announcement dealt another defeat on ethanol concentration to automakers, who said they would probably contest the decision in court.

Last October, the EPA approved use of so-called E-15 gasoline for cars, SUVs and light pickup trucks made during the 2007 model year and later.

EPA Administrator Lisa Jackson said today that use of E-15 gasoline would “allow more home-grown fuels in America's vehicles” without harm to emissions control equipment in cars and light trucks made since 2001.

Jackson said there had been “thorough testing” of the fuel by the U.S. Department of Energy.

EPA also said it will ensure that E-15 gasoline is properly labeled at the gas pump to prevent it from being pumped into vehicles that might be harmed.

An international automaker group said the government hasn't done enough testing to ensure that vehicles fueled with E-15 gasoline would be safe.

“All the data is not in to prove that E-15 won't have a negative effect on any vehicles,” said Mike Stanton, president of the Association of International Automobile Manufacturers.

Automakers seek court relief

He also expressed concern that, even with labels at the gas pump, consumers might accidentally fuel cars that haven't been approved for E-15 fuel.

Last month, U.S. carmakers and engine manufacturers asked a federal appeals court to require the EPA to reconsider its earlier ethanol decision on cars made since 2007.

Stanton said the lawsuit would probably be expanded to include vehicles covered by today's EPA decision.

There are more than 150 million vehicles made since 2001 on U.S. roads, and they account for 74 percent of vehicle gasoline consumption, EPA spokesman Cathy Milbourn said in an interview.

By 2014, there will likely be 187 million cars and light trucks made since 2001, and they will account for 85 percent of gasoline consumption, she said.

The decision today was hailed by a group of ethanol makers called Growth Energy.

“Increased use of ethanol will strengthen our energy security, create U.S. jobs and improve the environment,” said Tom Buis, CEO of Growth Energy.

The EPA did not grant approval today for E-15 gasoline use in motorcycles, heavy-duty vehicles or non-road engines because testing has not yet determined it is safe, the agency said in a statement.

Service station owners worry that putting higher ethanol blends in older cars could lead to lawsuits if the fuel damages their engines.

i thought i heard that thursday on the radio, this confims it.seems the powers that be dont care about us!!! 2 strokes are not going to like this S$@T!!! goodbye crank, rod bearings!!! everyone should be contacting their congressman on this foolish decision

I had also heard that Idaho passed a bill that say Non-Ethanol fuel is not allowed to be sold at the pumps. I have not been able to confirm this yet.

Once again, over reaching government control, not by representation, but by regulation. Destruction of America, death by a 1000 cuts.

One of these days I'll tell you about the "carbon footprint" that producing ALCOHOL for motor fuel leaves on the earth .... You'd be SURPRISED AS HECK that the govt' knows all about this BUT, in the interest of MAKING MONEY for ILLINOIS and INDIANA ( REPUBLICAN) corn farmers,, the DETRIMENTAL EFFECTS are overlooked!!!

I'll say a prayer for you guys..looks like they (gov) have it out for the 2 strokes.This is 1 way to eliminate them off the planet for cleaner air I guess.Everyone start saving up for a 4 stroke if you want to keep sledddin...do I smell a conspiracy here..I sort of knew this was coming.Guess Yamaha knew this ahead of time...The other brands better watch out then,2 strokes have to go.Yamaha is ahead of the game in 4 strokes then..masterplan accomplished....

PS:don't worry about it to much..come Dec 21/2012 it will be all over...lol

nosboy said:
One of these days I'll tell you about the "carbon footprint" that producing ALCOHOL for motor fuel leaves on the earth .... You'd be SURPRISED AS HECK that the govt' knows all about this BUT, in the interest of MAKING MONEY for ILLINOIS and INDIANA ( REPUBLICAN) corn farmers,, the DETRIMENTAL EFFECTS are overlooked!!!

Yeah, corporate welfare... that's it.

Hopey changey, cap and trade, skittles and unicorns...

Move along folks, nothing to see here...

i have a 07 apex gt, was already for these dictators! you can read them by their deeds way ahead of time!and by banning offshore drilling ( thanks to the phoney in chief)they are pushing electric, can you say G.E? which nobama is in with! now moderators might say something about this political view but be forwarned people if you like snowmobiling we need to unite and speak out about this before it is too late and i dont care what party you are, our rights are being stolen by a swift stroke of the pen! ok im done ranting the obvious! :o|

hey nosboy boy!, id like to hear what the dems are hiding from us, with the carbon foot print sham! being that there the ones (far left green zombes) pushing ethonal on us.

nosboy said:
Oh wow! Next Nosboy will tell us the republicans are pro Yama-lube.

Watch the political stuff guys.... I'd be shocked if this thread isn't shorter very soon.

That said, e15 probably won't do any 2 stroke motor any good. Having run e10 for a LONG time in 2 strokes, that really is not an issue, but that extra 5% probably will.

Regardless, just because the EPA approved it, does not mean that you have to buy E15, and can't get e 10 ( or non ethanol) anymore.

If you read the statement on the OP, only the most recent models of cars ( like 07+) are OK to use e15 in, so it's not like e15 will instantly be all that is available.

I have a feeling that the automakers (and other power equipment companies, supporters, lobbysist) will make certain that people don't get left high and dry with how many millions of non e15 capable cars , bikes, sleds, weedwackers, generators, boats etc that are out there.

horkn said:
snip

Regardless, just because the EPA approved it, does not mean that you have to buy E15, and can't get e 10 ( or non ethanol) anymore.

You will if it's the only thing available. I haven't seen a tom-tom/GPS that'll tell which station has E10 or E0. Near as I can tell, the EPA only sees boats as recreational vehicles and has excempted marinas from the required mandate. How often does one fuel up at a marina during the sledding season?

If you read the statement on the OP, only the most recent models of cars ( like 07+) are OK to use e15 in, so it's not like e15 will instantly be all that is available.

Thats not what I read. The EPA gave the all clear for E15 in 2007 and later Model Year vehicles last month. This month they gave the all clear for 2001 to 2006 MY vehicles. Agreed that it'll take some time but the incentive for refineries to use ethanol has been mandated by the gubmit now so I'd expect to see widespread use of E15 soon. And it still isn't mandated by the fed to be labled at the pump. Now stations have the backing of the EPA when some poor slob comes to them with a repair bill. "Hey, the EPA says I'm not to blame - talk to the hand".

I have a feeling that the automakers (and other power equipment companies, supporters, lobbysist) will make certain that people don't get left high and dry with how many millions of non e15 capable cars , bikes, sleds, weedwackers, generators, boats etc that are out there.

I wish I could be as optimistic but this was announced after the industy filed a lawsuit against E10 for 2007 to current MY.

I'm sorry for jumping all over you horkn as I think we've been on the same page regarding E10 and it's use all these years but the affects of E10 have taken some time to present themselves especially when it comes to storage in fiberglass or long term storage period.

It seems our Representative Republic ain't so much anymore...

A thousand cuts indeed!

horkn said:
Watch the political stuff guys.... I'd be shocked if this thread isn't shorter very soon.

That said, e15 probably won't do any 2 stroke motor any good. Having run e10 for a LONG time in 2 strokes, that really is not an issue, but that extra 5% probably will.

x2 just dont use it in a 2 stroke.

no1chevyboy said:
hey nosboy boy!, id like to hear what the dems are hiding from us, with the carbon foot print sham! being that there the ones (far left green zombes) pushing ethonal on us.
It wasn't meant as a political statement.. The Illinois Corn farmers are PROFESSED REPUBLICANS and the WHOLE city of Chicago is Democratic.. Look how the State votes compared to the city. ( I know a "little" about "chicago politics" ). The CORN and SOYBEAN farmers are PAID TO GROW certain crops to either SWAY the prices or SWAY the availability of certain crops that " benefit" the Govt' and NOT NECESARILY the people of the State.. Illinois is the WORST at these games... You need to have a little background of "downstate" crop farmers to get what I am talking about... If you KNOW any downstate Illinois crop farmers,, ASK THEM the games that the STATE play in conjunction with the Feds.. You'D be AMAZED!!!!

Back