1989 Yamaha Ovation Help

darrenz33

Hi. My 1989 Ovation has a severe miss from midrange and up. I have cleaned the carburetor, replaced jets, spark plugs, fuel filters, and checked pipe for obstruction. If you stop or remain at slow speed it runs fine. It starts and idles perfectly. The severe miss and bog appears to be at the same RPM every time. Does anybody have any suggestions or previous experience with a problem like this? I would appreciate any help.

darrenz33 said:
My Ovation has a severe missfire from midrange and up.
If you stop or remain at slow speed it runs fine.
It starts and idles perfectly.
The severe miss and bog appears to be at the same RPM every time.
Does anybody have any suggestions ?
To me it sounds like one of your spark plug caps are broken inside the "Resistor" .
Buy two new spark plug caps and you probably will be fine !

Last edited:
Replaced plug caps with new NGK screw in caps- Checked in tank fuel filter (only one on sled) looks excellent and easy to blow through, and bypassed throttle over ride system... still having exact same miss (clutches also good) its a definate miss, not an overshift. Any body ever had an issue with the charge coil or pulser coil on this model?

Yes- It has the two wires from the carb to the throttle lever assembly with the pinned throttle lever that pivots when pressure is applied. (T.O.R.S.) and it has been bypassed.

Could be... I was just hoping somebody with an Ovation had this problem before so I had an educated guess on which electrical component to throw at it first as guessing on electrical can get expensive!

darrenz33 said:
Could be... I was just hoping somebody with an Ovation had this problem before so I had an educated guess on which electrical component to throw at it first as guessing on electrical can get expensive!

I've never had that problem with mine, but every now and then, if your not rippin' on it, it bogs down for a bit. But it doesn't miss.

I have a 1989 Yamaha Ovation 340 that has the same exact problem I have replaced the coil and have tried every possibility with the TORS and I dont know what to do I need help so I can ride and have some fun on my sled. HELP PLEASE

just by pass the tors and leave it bypasses ...........you guys need to check the carb bodies look at the top of the barrles of the carb where the air screws point through .......make sure the casting of the barrel is not craked open (you can see it clear as day) i have ran into this many times on these machines also if the carb was ever replaced the 89 carb is a one year only carb (both will work with jetting changes) ..............also do a trigger coil resistance test that can be a issue

ovation

On some of the earlier ovations, the ground between the sparkplug coil to the engine was bad, yamaha had a service bulliten on them, you needed to add a ground wire from coil mounting bolt to engine, I was a yamaha tech for 24 years and had about 3-5 ovations with that problem it was just the first 2 years of production that i believe were effected with this problem, its worth a try to check it out. :2strokes:

putzy said:
On some of the earlier ovations, the ground between the sparkplug coil to the engine was bad, yamaha had a service bulliten on them, you needed to add a ground wire from coil mounting bolt to engine, I was a yamaha tech for 24 years and had about 3-5 ovations with that problem it was just the first 2 years of production that i believe were effected with this problem, its worth a try to check it out. :2strokes:

good point ......i run a extra ground on just about all of my older yamis from a clean spot on the motor to the chassi just to make sure .......was not just the ovations that had this issue

Clutchburner said:
Im having the same issues did you ever figure out why it was bogging down at mid to high range.
Throw that odd & funky "Teikei" carburettor in the trash can and put in an ordinary Mikuni VM-32/34 instead.

The engine will run like a champ ;)!

I looked at all that and its all good. I just ran it and after about 30 minutes again the same thing happened where all it would do was idle and if i gave it gas it bogged down

Back