Need Help with 1979 Enticer not starting.

Snow Chaser

The 1979 Enticer 340 I bought for my grandson had a hesitation when you gave it gas and I was told it probably needed the carb cleaned. My son-in-law cleaned it for me and since the cleaning I can't get it to start without starting fluid. Before it was cleaned it started on the 2nd or 3rd pull every time when it was warm or cold.
Once we get it started it runs fine and will start on the first pull when it is warm. But, when it's cold I could pull for an hour and it doesn't act like it even wants to try to start, squirt some starter fluid in the carb and it will start on the 1st or 2nd pull.
I guess I'm saying i was better off not cleaning the carb because now it won't start correctly and the hesitation/bog is still there.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here are a few things to check
1 how old are the plugs if questionable replace
2 how is the spark
3 be shure every pasage and jet is clean my exell took two trys to get cleaned inline fuel filter is also a good idea
4 Are the plugs wet if not it could be fuel problem
5 make shure carb adjstments wher not bumped or moved a manual is always handy
if you have gas in cylender( gas on plugs) compresson (100+) and blue spark it shoud start.
hope you get it going this is what I know and the rest is trial and erorr someting will eventualy work thats what i learned good luck.

Evan

check the pulse line to the fuel pump as it might need replacing. new fuel filter would not hurt either.

Sounds like the enrichener is not working correctly.
Check for vacuum leaks.

Thank you for all of the comments. I was looking at it again last night and I pulled off the gas line that feeds the carb and turned the motor over. Gas came out of the line as I was pulling the starter rope.
Isn't this telling me that the pulse line is doing it's job?
The spark plugs are new and the spark is good.
Can you tell me how the enrichener works? Is that another name for the choke?
I was trying to see if the choke cable was doing anything, but the cable goes into the top left of the carb and you can't see it moving anything.
Could the mixture adjustment be so far out of whack that it wouldn't even start?
Thanks again for any info.

i had a pulse line that was rotten but would not misbehave untill the sled was warm.

enrichner=choke

with the choke lever in the off position, pull on the cable caseing. should pull up 1/4" above the adjusting nut.

i would also reccomend blowing out the primary clutch as ot probably has years of belt dust in there.

what is the compression reading on that motor? might have a stuck ring. had that happen on a 75 gs338 and it was hard to start cold untill it un-stuck.

I wanted to give an update for all who helped me with ideas on solving my problem.
The choke cable had come unhooked inside the plastic housing, so the choke was doing nothing.
I reattached the cable, put it back together and it started up on the second pull.
I'll be looking for a new choke, just in case, but she's fixed.
Thanks to all for the help.

sounds good its always good when it is simple i cant rememer how may times something would not start and it was shut of fuel or kill switch on so ive learned to check all of those before worying glad it worked out now hope fully ther is snow left to ride on looks like my riding will be gone by next week all and all it was a decent winter.

Evan

89 Ovation Choke/ Control Cable Replacement

I know this is an ancient thread, but I'm new to the forum and don't know where to post questions yet.

I have an 89 ovation. How do I disconnect the choke cable from the carb? It has a single body/ double barrel carb. The choke cable goes into the carb in the center of the carb body. I loosened the jam nut and backed the brass nut out but the cable end is still retained somehow down inside the carb. Any one have any ideas?

Back