Vmax-4's vs. SRX ( or ZRT's,Mach's..etc.)

MSASRX

Had a couple SRX's -98' and a 00' - now looking back, my 98' was the better one of my two SRX's, after the crank was "fixed" under warr. - and had the chance to race a few Vmax-4's in the day with decent results...nothing, and I mean nothing sounds as cool as one of those vmax-4's from a pure sound expirience...

But was ( am still ) curious about the Vmax-4's vs. everything else??? it always seemed like some ran really good, and some were really not that impressive, you could tell which ones had pipes, but i'm talking about mostly stock( always wanted a 95' & still do ) I had a customer a few years back say the fastest stock one he ever had was a 93' (750)he said it kept pulling & pulling out on the lake compaired to his 800's he had.

Anyone ?? :2strokes:

Set up,set up,set up,thats all it's about but if your talking stock to stock? it's close,,i never ran my two head to head but from one to the other it's damn close and scary fast for a stock production machine the big max has gobs of low end TQ and long legs.

the big 4 '95 and up has more HP vs a SRX but weighs more so the SRX has the advantage there of being little lighter.

both are outstanding machines for sure and some of Yamaha's finest produced i'm proud to own both.

Last edited:
THE GREAT YAMAHA DEBATE. I HAVE BOTH AND LOVE BOTH. DAMAN GET THE PRIZE FOR POSTING '' SET-UP SET-UP SET-UP ''. I BELIEVE MY 95 VMAX 4 800 RUNS A BETTER MPH THAN MY SRX, BUT MY SRX RUNS A BETTER E.T.. I WILL SAY THE SRX IS LIGHTER, BUT NOT AS WIDE A MARGIN AS YA THINK. SRX,s WERE HEAVY. THING I LAUGH AT IS GUYS THAT JUMPED ON THE YAMAHA SRX WAGON IN 1998 WOULD NOT GIVE YA .5$ FOR A VMAX 4. I ALSO WANT TO POST THE VMAX 4 HOLDS THE C & H DYNO RECORD AT 560 hp. THERE IS KNOW SNOWMOBILE MOTOR MADE THAT WILL MAKE MORE HP. 3:16 (yammie tony)

Damen and Tony said it all.

Dialed the mighty 4 is deadly. Beatable?? Sure, everything is but they have an advantage over most and if this advantage is exploited they are a VERY!! formatable opponent. If not dialed they are an over weight underpowered pig. Not different from any other slow sled, just a sled that shouldn't be slow.

opsled

seen a V-max 4 this past weekend at the drags and still moves pretty dam good for it weight issue, beat alot of bigger sleds

Last edited:
I had 2 VMAX4 800s a 95 + 96...still have the piped, ported, 136" , 2 up seat 96. I weighed my 1995 VMAX 4 on stock car scales when it was still all stock and it was not as heavy as everyone, including me thought it was!
We had a radar run day, back in the day, when my 95 was out of the crate stock, and the only sled that could match its speed was a stock 98 700 SRX...112mph on hard packed snow on a warm day. There was every brand of 800 - 1000cc sleds out that day but none came close to our speeds.
The main thing about the mighty MAX is that most of them are all out there today[even the mod ones] still making great power, looking good , not requiring any power valve cleaning ect and all the other Big sleds have disappeared!

JM.02c

Bob

sideshowBob said:
I weighed my 1995 VMAX 4 on stock car scales when it was still all stock and it was not as heavy as everyone, including me thought it was!
Bob recall what that was??

sideshowBob said:
My completely stock 1995 VMAX4 800 weighed 580lbs with antifreeze, full oil but NO fuel. This was done on three digital scales.

Bob
Cool Thanks..not great but not too bad..

YAMMIEGOD3:16 said:
I REALLY BELIEVE MY VMAX 4 IS THE HEAVEST SNOWMOBILE EVER MADE. I AM BENT OVER EVERY-TIME I GO TO MOVE IT. 3:16 (yammie tony)

Ownership of an RX1 will shed pounds from your Vmax-4.

Worked for me.

opsled

Had both 98 srx ported, 148hp and vmax 800 stock pipes 159hp and 173hp with psi quads. Grass dragged srx and vmax stock...no comparison, vmax everywhere. Vmax weight 597 ready to grass drag, don't know what the srx was. Now with quads could watch the srx leave and within 300ft gone by was like an srx vs 600 twin!

well got a 95 vmax4 bigbore 866 that i snow dragged this winter for the first time since i bought and fixed it , had 1 4 lane race 650 ft against 1000 cat improvers that have been around for a few race seasons and beat them easly the max4 is still geting dialed in so it will be quicker than it allready is, and vmax4 still ruels .

I remember Tony when the SRX came out it was supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread but we know how that went..I remember going to the show for the 1998 sleds in Albany and no one would talk v-max4 with me...Even at the 1997 show I was looking at the vmax4 long track and getting laughed at by someone who owns a dealer and I was like oh yea..?? And yes a RX-1 makes a vmax4 as light as a F-7...The best V-Max4 I had was my 880 Hauck BB with Aaen Quads 180' fired bored carbs and I long tracked it to 136" Beat allot of D&D big bore cats doo's etc..Still Dave who runs up at Lanzi's still has his vmax god bless him..I'am such an *** for selling what I had and now its really hard to afford to get back into them.. Also on tar I ran a 10.32 at 123 with my 800 vmax and quads and I weight is 200 + lbs...When I had the one and only IMP SRX built by the Crank Shop it only made 177 hp on the dyno..Any well built vmax4 was 195 +..So much more I can say but the SRX was easier to grass race and got better as the years went by..If you do a BB SRX you got something.....

Back