Vmax-4's vs. SRX ( or ZRT's,Mach's..etc.)

ron yep. the 1992 vmax 4 was gonna be sliced bread too. anyways thats yamaha for ya. when yamaha is done with a sled, 97 vmax 4. 02 srx. 05 rx-1 . they forget these sleds were ever built. truth of the matter is they want ya to trade up every year. if you have a 2002 srx in 2014, they look at ya like your crazy. my 2000 srx with power inc pipes has gone 10.47 @ 122 with frank driving. my amsnow shootout 800 will die with me. 3:16 (yammie tony)

Will die with you...lol God bless you buddy... My daughter has a 2001 SRX and yea to have a SRX these days you are considered crazy...LOL....

I have quite a bit of experience vs. the vmax 4 and other large bore triples. I have a very well setup 2000 srx that I run both speed runs and drag races with. My usual group i run with has the following. (94 t-cat, 992 big bore, psi mod blasters, good clutching) (92 vmax 4, 865 big bore, hauck howlers, decent clutching) (99 Polaris ultra spx, 800 hot to go motor, htg triples, porting etc.) (95 zrt 800, hooper 1107, d&d mod pipes, etc.) In a 660' drag race my srx will beat all of them everytime..... i do not trail ride this srx. it is setup for drag race. I can also out mph them at the radar runs except for the 1107. My srx runs 98-99 on ice in 660'. the 1107 gets my by a mph or 2. my point here is an SRX that is setup properly is very hard to beat. I have the trophy room to back this up if anyone is in doubt.....

I have quite a bit of experience vs. the vmax 4 and other large bore triples. I have a very well setup 2000 srx that I run both speed runs and drag races with. My usual group i run with has the following. (94 t-cat, 992 big bore, psi mod blasters, good clutching) (92 vmax 4, 865 big bore, hauck howlers, decent clutching) (99 Polaris ultra spx, 800 hot to go motor, htg triples, porting etc.) (95 zrt 800, hooper 1107, d&d mod pipes, etc.) In a 660' drag race my srx will beat all of them everytime..... i do not trail ride this srx. it is setup for drag race. I can also out mph them at the radar runs except for the 1107. My srx runs 98-99 on ice in 660'. the 1107 gets my by a mph or 2. my point here is an SRX that is setup properly is very hard to beat. I have the trophy room to back this up if anyone is in doubt.....
:worth:

Sounds like you have your SRX dialed in nice. How do you think it would do if the competition you are up against was dialed in as well as your SRX??

Proper setup and tune is always a favorite to win.

I watched Olaf Aaen dyno a 92 Vmax-4 sleeved down 700 improver at 180 hp+. The next one up was an 800 Vmax-4 in a lay down mod. It was over 230 hp.

Both sleds were still in the early stages of tune and the sleds weren't done. It was agreed (owners and Olaf) that there was more to be had in both sleds. Changes were talked about along with more testing.

Don't know where those sleds ended up in the HP department but if anyone runs up against a Vmax-4 that is properly built and tuned it will be a player in any class (stock/improved/mod).

All things equal (builder/tuner/class) I'll put my $ on the Vmax-4.

opsled

Had both 98 srx ported, 148hp and vmax 800 stock pipes 159hp and 173hp with psi quads. Grass dragged srx and vmax stock...no comparison, vmax everywhere. Vmax weight 597 ready to grass drag, don't know what the srx was. Now with quads could watch the srx leave and within 300ft gone by was like an srx vs 600 twin!

Easy now, carefull what you say about a 600 twin ! Let's not forget that a 600 XTC was THE lightest sled made back then at 467 dry, lighter that the 600 SX. I used to work at a Yamaha dealership back in the late 90's - early 2000's, and we used to race my sled against stock SRX 700's, both studded, and I would pull on them to about 75 to 80 mph. Weight matters !

Easy now, carefull what you say about a 600 twin ! Let's not forget that a 600 XTC was THE lightest sled made back then at 467 dry, lighter that the 600 SX. I used to work at a Yamaha dealership back in the late 90's - early 2000's, and we used to race my sled against stock SRX 700's, both studded, and I would pull on them to about 75 to 80 mph. Weight matters !

How could the xtc be lighter than the sx? they are pretty much the same sled except the xtc has the long travel suspension, long travel suspension would add more weight to the sled.

Most of it was the shocks if I remember correctly, the weight numbers were based on the SX having Ohlins, was only a few pounds different. But back in the summer of 1996 when I ordered mine new, that was the deciding factor for me, plus,
Getting the long travel suspension, black color, no brainer for me ! ��

i totally disagree with the weight claim of a 600 sx and the 600 xtc. way off. and if my srx ever lost to a 600 xtc up to 80 mph i throw a match to it. thats almost equivalent to a 500 f.t. grass drag. no way. 3:16x (yammie tony)

Most of it was the shocks if I remember correctly, the weight numbers were based on the SX having Ohlins, was only a few pounds different. But back in the summer of 1996 when I ordered mine new, that was the deciding factor for me, plus,
Getting the long travel suspension, black color, no brainer for me ! ��

There is no way a short travel ohlins shock weighs more than a long travel KYB shock, the long travel shock is bigger, how could it be lighter?

Lol, sorry fellas, not trying to decieve anyone !!
The weight numbers I stated were the numbers Yamaha was using the summer of 1996 when I ordered mine. That's all I know.
As for the SRX race, it happened, over, and over, and over again.
Keep in mind, i'm not talking stock to stock. SRX was stock with studs, mine was studded, piped, ported, geared down, clutched, reeds, ect.
Go online and plug some numbers in a power to weight calculator and see what you come up with !
I'm assuming a srx is around 550 dry ? With 140 hp
I'm assuming mine was around let's say 465 dry(plastic skis and no stock silencer) and around 120 hp
Power to weight =
Srx is .2545
Mine is .2581
So, it's very possible against a stock srx, a modded one ? No....

Last edited:
Lol, sorry fellas, not trying to decieve anyone !! ...
It sure looks like you were, when you posted yesterday the only modification mentioned was studs:

... and we used to race my sled against stock SRX 700's, both studded, and I would pull on them to about 75 to 80 mph. Weight matters !

Then when you were challenged on it, today you finally 'fess up the info that should have been included yesterday:

The weight numbers I stated were the numbers Yamaha was using the summer of 1996 when I ordered mine. That's all I know.
As for the SRX race, it happened, over, and over, and over again.
Keep in mind, i'm not talking stock to stock. SRX was stock with studs, mine was studded, piped, ported, geared down, clutched, reeds, ect.
Go online and plug some numbers in a power to weight calculator and see what you come up with !
I'm assuming a srx is around 550 dry ? With 140 hp
I'm assuming mine was around let's say 465 dry(plastic skis and no stock silencer) and around 120 hp
Power to weight =
Srx is .2545
Mine is .2553
So, it's very possible against a stock srx, a modded one ? No....

Besides that, your numbers are bogus. Did these sleds race side by side, dry, with no rider?
It would have been better to have relevant information upfront, as well as real world data if you're going to compare something like power to weight. People are spending their valuable time reading incomplete and deceiving information.

FYI, published dry weight for a 1998 SRX700 is 545lbs, 1997 XTC600 is 476lbs., it takes a lot more than dry weight and assumed hp to come up with realistic power to weight numbers.

600 twin was like 96hp stock, add the twin pipes and it barely got more then like 106-108hp, wasn't a great responding mod engine at all!! I doubt you could do much harm to a 140hp srx, the 98-99 srx was like 137hp but still your around 30-40hp low...very tough to overcome that kind of hp difference even if it is a few lbs lighter. The xtc skidframe is far worse on the long travel skid vs the srx as well, scrubbing off more speed..
Now, there is the exception to every race..... like a poor set up machine. possible the srx guy bought all the stuff from the magazine and just threw it in it, thought he was fast or just not set up right even stock from a lousy dealer but if you run against a set up/clutched and geared srx even with a stock motor.... youll see nothing but a red glow of a tail light. especially in 500ft race, and after that distance... likely it(srx) will be in the next zipcode from you.

i will say murder yamaha that less/ weight is the best performance gain possible for any snowmobile, know question about it. thats why you get scaled at the races. with that said i take a shot at your 600 xtc with my 79 srx first. lol. 3:16x (yammie tony)

I have a buddy that always told me when he had his 07 doo 600 ho that he would smoke the srx he would ride with. We all went riding this year and the guy that bought his 600 was with. We ran them and it had no chance against my srx. I am willing to bet that doo has more power than the xtc and the same weight. The 12 800 etec got me by a sled length though, but he also jumped me a little off the line and once we got going he never pulled another inch on me. And those are also lighter than the srx. I think if I would have nailed it soon enough it would have been a dead even race. It was also only 500ft. It has a lot to do with the driver also. I have never been good at racing but I am getting better. Reaction time is huge.

Mods were in my sig the whole time, some of you guys are not reading all the info here before you post.
I worked at a Yamaha dealership at the time, the SRX was brand new, and stock with studs. It was the dealership demo sled, bone stock. Mine was not. If you think a ported, piped, high compression 600 twin with reeds makes 106 to 108 hp, that's fine. A sled that light that is geared down is very quick up to a certain speed.
Not here to argue, just to learn and get help ...

It sure looks like you were, when you posted yesterday the only modification mentioned was studs:

Then when you were challenged on it, today you finally 'fess up the info that should have been included yesterday:

Besides that, your numbers are bogus. Did these sleds race side by side, dry, with no rider?
It would have been better to have relevant information upfront, as well as real world data if you're going to compare something like power to weight. People are spending their valuable time reading incomplete and deceiving information.

FYI, published dry weight for a 1998 SRX700 is 545lbs, 1997 XTC600 is 476lbs., it takes a lot more than dry weight and assumed hp to come up with realistic power to weight numbers.

Ok, so dry weight isn't a good number to use to compare both sleds ? I don't know wet numbers, but how would have that changed anything ? Pretty sure they have about the same amount of fluid weight.

Last edited:

Back