Reason not to disable tors

Steering stem broke off just under handlebar mount. I did a search and found out that others have broken in the same spot. I'm just glad it didn't happen the weekend before because I rode the sled about 200 miles on some pretty nasty conditions. The snow was hard in spots and soft in others so it was hard to know what to expect from each drift. I'm guessing that I cracked it that weekend and it just came off the rest of the way when I went to move it.

I just hooked mine back up today and it seems to be working fine. I don't know why the previous owner had disconnected it. It didn't give me any issues.

I don't think he really cared anyway. My SRX was his "beater" sled. His good sled is an '08 Apex Anniversary Edition.

Wish i didnt disconnect the tors

jrrsrx said:
Went out to load snowmobile sunday and as I went around the side of the house my handle bars broke off and the engine went wide open. I tried to hit the kill switch but couldn't and as I hit a drift the front end went up and and I fell off. Snowmobile headed out cross country wide open and made it about a mile before it crashed. Just bought this sled a while back and I did notice that the tors was bypassed but didn't think much of it. Now I wish that I would have checked it out. Just thought I would make a note of this as I know that lots of yamaha sleds are running around with this disconnected. Luckily no one except me got hurt and no other property besides the snowmobile. It could have been alot worse.
nearly the same thing happened to my 99 srx 700 two years ago, the sled got stuck and as i was trying to get it out the bars snapped in the same spot. later as we were trying to get it on the trailer it lurched foreward and the throttle stuck,it jumped off the trailer and went a few hundred feet untill it hit a dry creek bed, this was after completely going thru the whole machine, i purchased a 98 to replace it and it now has a teather borrowed from an old ski-dog. DO NOT DISCONNECT THE TORS!!

jrrsrx said:
Notice in the picture that there is a tether cord on this machine. As I was going off I yanked the cord out and guess what, it kept on going. So that is not exactly a permanent solution either as I found out.

If the tether was hooked up right it would have shut it down.

TORS is a simple system. Most of the failures I have seen with it have been carb switches.

Yours is a great example of why a (working) safety shut down system is mandatory at all racing events and why every sled should have one.

I make sure my TORS systems are functional on my sleds. I also install tethers.

Don't like riding with those that just bypass and forget about it. Scarey!!

Glad you're OK,

opsled

bluemonster1 said:
84 and on..

Maybe on some sleds, but on phazers at least it was '85 and on. My '82 SRV and my '84 Phazer did not have it, my '85 Phazer did.

Both my '82 SRV and my '84 Phazer have kill switches (tethers) but neither worked. The Phazers is stuck open (run) and does nothing when you pull the cord. My SRV didn't have the cord and I never realized it was a kill switch until I was diagnosing a no spark issue. It stuck hard enough that it would allow the sled to run for a while, but eventually the vibration would allow the switch to close and kill the engine. Bottom line - OEM tether switches on the older sleds cannot be relied on, period.

My current Phazer (a mix between '84 and '85 parts) does not have TORS (the '84 part...). I have TORS carbs to put on, but I'm not sure which throttle switch I have, and I don't want to destroy the heated grips by changing the throttle / kill switch.

Luckily I haven't had any problems in this manner yet, but this sled has a non-working tether, no TORS, and a broken handlebar kill switch (broke this season, stuck in "run" position). In addition, the key won't stay in... I use the tether to secure the key, so if it bounces out when I'm running I can put it back in to shut the sled off. Needless to say, not the safest setup. I'm going to have to do something about that. At least the handlebars don't have a habit of breaking and the brake is more powerful than the engine on this old beast.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the TORS wouldn't have done anything to stop this... when your yer handlebar broke it just pulled the throttle cable wide open, I had something similar happen

Correct me if I'm wrong but the TORS wouldn't have done anything to stop this... when your yer handlebar broke it just pulled the throttle cable wide open, I had something similar happen

Accidents where the rider is ejected and/or things like broken/bent/damaged bars and controls is just what TORS is for.

If the throttle is open without a thumb on the controls the sled will shut down or go into limp mode if the system is working and adjusted properly.

I won't say it will stop every scenario possible but it will catch most of them if connected and functioning.

I keep my TORS functioning on my trail sleds and also install/use a tether. Runaways can hurt innocent bystanders (badly). I've seen what can happen and it ain't ever good.

I pity the person who would do damage to me or mine because of a disabled/unused safety shutdown system.

Did happen once. A woman with a baby in her left arm, in the pits at a drag race. No tether worn, sled took off she got dumped. Sled hit my son from behind. I saw it coming but could only grab him before the sled hit his legs. He ended up going over the hood but not to far as I never let go. He just had sore calves but things could have been bad. That woman's husband was furious (with her) and as embarrassed as could be. He couldn't apologize enough. Ruined his day and I'm sure many to follow. He packed up and left for home.

We were lucky and the chick was lucky she was a chick. If not for that fact and her husband controlling the situation with his submission to fault and taking responsibility I would have exploded.

Safety shutdown systems are there for a reason. To disable/not use them is irresponsible and asking for trouble.

opsled

Back