120cc Sled

MBllnr

I was searching a little while back and seen a post about which 120 sled to get and why? Well I was at Pinkleman's (artic cat) in Newberry Mi this past weekend and came accross something really interesting. The 120 Cat sled has a Yamaha engine in it. Now since the R&D is already there for this engine why not get the chasis together and put a REAL 120 Sled out!

No, the A/C didn't come with Yamaha or Honda engines.
The A/C came with a Suzuki engine, the Pol came with a Robin engine and the Doo came with a Honda. engine.
Recmotor.com sells the Honda as a replacement engine.
I have a A/C with a mod Honda motor in it that runs 33mph now, stock is 7mph.

How did you get the A/C at 33 MPH. I have a stock polaris x pro and I need to make it go faster so the kids dont fall asleep.

I just added a new gov spring to my son's poo 120 and plan to change the gearing and clutch next season which should make it push 20mph. Just changing the spring will get you 12-14mph --takes 2min.

Yea guys that's what I figured was there was a suzuki engine in it. So I asked the guy running the store, "What kind of engine is in the 120?" He proceeded with a stiff pointer finger into my Yamaha tuning forks on my coat and said, "That's who made it." So I opened the hood up and sure enough there was a Yamaha plate on the engine and I saw the tuning forks on another part. If anyone is near Newberry MI stop at the Pinkleman's Cat store and see for your self I am sure with the lack of snow it's still there.

from a 120 racing site..
With the current 120 sleds, we have 3 brands and actually, 4 engines OEM Polaris uses a Robin, Ski-Doo a Honda, and, Arctic Cat started with a Spirit, now has a Yamaha engine for this year.

Interesting. Now I stopped watching what was in them right after they all came out years ago. Without doing the research, i thought originally they were all the same motors.

edunn69 said:
No, the A/C didn't come with Yamaha or Honda engines.
The A/C came with a Suzuki engine, the Pol came with a Robin engine and the Doo came with a Honda. engine.
Recmotor.com sells the Honda as a replacement engine.
I have a A/C with a mod Honda motor in it that runs 33mph now, stock is 7mph.
I dealt with Rec Motor a bunch of years ago when I built a mini-Z for my nephew. Great bunch over at Rec Motor IMHO. We went form stock (7 mph) to somewhere around 20 by changing the headgasket, puting on a remote fuel screw adjsuter, changing the exhaust, clutching and gearing.

When my dad went to sell it he said he had a guy drive all the way from somewhere in Indiana to northern Mi one weekday evening, when the guy got there my dad expalined all what was done to it and the guy stated can I hear it run and see it operate. They warmed up the machine and the guy asked "is it okay if I ride it", my dad said sure, BUT, becareful as this thing goes as good as the big sleds.... The guy lined up down the driveway into the backyard and cracked the throttle and I guess the guy was a little surprised at how well it went. Needless to say there was no haggling on the price...

Sorry it took so long to get a photo, but this one at Pickelman's A/C in Newberry does indeed have a Yamaha motor in it. Sorry there's a little flash blur in the photo, but you can clearly see the Yamaha name on it. And, if anyone is interested, it's on sale, $300 off the original price for about another week.

Attachments

• Yammy motor in AC 120.jpg
    Yammy motor in AC 120.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Thank you for getting there and getting the picture. I started questioning my self after everything I was reading on the internet.
Mike

Back