2012 sleds

I have only owned 4 Yamaha sleds..2 new and 2 used ones..used because their prices are outrageous to say the least for brand new one...how can they justify the price of the new sleds....its not just that..its insurance,sno passes and trailer purchase costs that are needed also to ride...I love the old days when sleds where cheap as hell and there where tons of people/families riding.Now I hardly see any sleds on a Sunday when it used to be crazy non stop sleds everywhere.And to add to this,my original 440 exciter and 81 SRX where basically as fast as todays sleds also....

horkn said:
Not on the venture GT. last years GT was like 10500. Now with EPS is about 2k more. I was hoping the regular venture would get the apex chassis and the 1050 efi motor at least.

The vector was less money without EPS as well.

Not here in canada the prices are the same or a little cheaper across the lineup

I tried to talk to customer relations once with a warranty issue I had with the suspension adjuster on my Vector that broke & they told me they would not cover it because I was in the YES program at the time. I even told them that I would pay for the part if the dealer could install it. They refused. I told them that I have bought many new sleds from yamaha & to look up my record on
there paperwork. At that point I told them why did I buy the extended warranty
then. I told them that I would switch brands next time I was going to purchase another sled & they said OK.

guys, I really feel that all sleds are expensive. a lot has to do with development costs. everything is more expensive, and business is costly in general with taxes and the cost of doing business in general. its why pretty much EVERYTHING has gone up in price. I look at it that the 4 stroke really isnt a lot more than a 2 stroke nowadays, but should or will last a lot longer. around here at least, the resale is a lot higher on yamaha 4 strokes than anyone's 2 strokes.

red devil said:
so what would that make the doo in hp 160#hp or so?
yep...

I have not heard one with the full exhaust, but I hope it has more tone like the 3 cylinder nytro/ vectors with the pipes. Stock that 1200 4 tec sounds too quiet.

There are turbo and or superchargers out there for the 4tec that make it well over 200hp on pump gas. if you need that;)

There is also turbos out there for the Apex that make almost 300hp on pump gas. I'm glad I have an Apex Mtn, since they quit making them. Gotta love turbo 4 strokes. Maybe this summer I'll breakdown and buy a turbo.

Big changes in Yamahas next year. Going to all electric motors. 4 strokes a things of the past. With battery and motor they should come in around half a ton but boy think the money you'll save on gas and how dependable they'll be. Oh and new skis also.

they'll use solar panels.You have to stop every hour to recharge and go again...lol..Also because they will be havier.they have designed a new chasis that will now be 4 feet wide in order to stay afloat.....lol

BARON 8BU said:
Big changes in Yamahas next year. Going to all electric motors. 4 strokes a things of the past. With battery and motor they should come in around half a ton but boy think the money you'll save on gas and how dependable they'll be. Oh and new skis also.

... but you'll be limited to riding powerlines only.

Retractable boom that'll reach up to the cable to connect to the grid.

i just cant believe how expensive new sleds have become. dont get me wronge i love riding, but im not made of money here! you can get a nice used car for the same price as a new sled. seems just a bit rediculious to me.

tippmannator said:
i just cant believe how expensive new sleds have become. dont get me wronge i love riding, but im not made of money here! you can get a nice used car for the same price as a new sled. seems just a bit rediculious to me.
Nobody will disagree with the high cost of snowmobiles today no matter what brand. If people would be happy driving a machine made to go over snow rather than wanting a fully loaded cadillac to enjoy riding trails, the price would still be reasonable. Think of all the additional accessories that are on todays sleds. Technical gizmos,heated this & heated that, suspensions,electronics,fuel injection,etc.etc., not to mention the cost of precious metals like titanium,magnesium.... Consumers who want,want,want have driven up costs. Lets get back to Basics so we can all afford new sleds. :2strokes:

03viperguy said:
I still say there is not a better TRAIL sled out there. glad the xp is working out for you. I think the new doos are nice. a few stupid things about them, but overall a nice sled. the xp was pretty much the same, and you can only get that new skid on the top sleds. cheapest way to get it would be the x package 600, for $11,200. the 1200 4 stroke would be $12k, and the 800r is $12,600. not cheap by any means and it is still a 2 stroke. now seriously, I think it would be a great sled in any config, but thats a lot for a sled still quite susceptible to ethanol issues and crank failures. like I said, I could really see myself on one, but the simple fact for me is that I trail ride, not ditch run, and pretty much ANY sled is damn expensive these days. sucks, but its true. and for my cash, I would have to have a 4 stroke so I could ride more with less maint. not that any sled is immune to issues, I just feel more confident on a 4 stroke taking me farther :) I understand where you guys are coming from though

Well said! ;)!

speaking of bare bones machines, the old 91 Phazer 2 has dished out another year of perfectly legit fun for me. Yeah, A new XTX would be nice. but there's no way in h*ll I'm going to drop that kind of money for a sled.

On another note. VW has a concept car, the XL1, now that only weighs 838 pounds. FULLY FUELED! A CAR!

Come on Yamaha. This is just lame.

buddy is going to snow check a nytro xtx. its cold and heavy but at least he can stand up now. thinking about ski doo but those motors don't hold together. i can think of 6 in the area that have blown motors in the last 2 years. polaris assault is something i'm considering. liked the AC sno pro 500 until a buddy bought one this year for his kid. talk about a buzz bomb. 1 mile down the trail and i was off of it and still had buzzing in my ***, feet, hands, and knees. no thank you

Back