One more fogging question...

Excitabletom

I am putting my 96 Mountain Max 600 away for the year. I see that the carbs has a "balance bottle" after the carbs, but before the reeds. Can I pull the boast bottle off and spray fogging oil in that way or will that lean out the motor with too much air?

I just looks like an easier way than removing the airbox.

Thanks

I dont know the answer 100% But I beleive you are correct in the "to lean" thinking. I would pull the boots between carb and airbox before pulling boost bottle. I am fully planning a carb clean b4 riding so I pulled top of airbox apart, fogged and didnt fully re-assemble. Dont know if the twins are as bad with the pilots as the trips are. I have come to accept cleaning carbs as part of the wonderful world of yamaha tripples!

Pull air box off and spray directly in the carbs.......... till it smokes really good and then spray another 20 seconds......

Do NOT pull the boost bottle off! If you do while the sled is running, it will pick up rpms and could take off (very lean condition).

edunn69 said:
Do NOT pull the boost bottle off! If you do while the sled is running, it will pick up rpms and could take off (very lean condition).

I can second this from personal experience. Did this to my 96xt and crash into the back wall of the garage. Thank god it only had a foot before the wall so no time to pick up speed. But it sure scared me! Chris

Thank you. Good advice about leaving the airbox partially apart as I too will clean the carbs in the fall.

Good knowledge found on this site!

Read into the post "fogging 3 cylinders at once" and try my approach with Automatic transmission fluid...

I got a question about fogging; How much should be used? I fogged my motor this past spring for about 15 seconds per cylinder (SRX700). This fall when I went to start it, it was very hard to start. Plugs kept getting saturated with oil. Took me about 3 hours, had to keep spraying the plugs off with carb cleaner. That didn't work, so I preheated the plugs with a propane torch and that did it. Did I use too much or is this just how it goes?

nosboy said:
Read into the post "fogging 3 cylinders at once" and try my approach with Automatic transmission fluid...
I second the notion about the transmission fluid. Cleanest powervalves I have seen. We use transmission fluid for all fogging applications in our boats also. Al

destey said:
I got a question about fogging; How much should be used? I fogged my motor this past spring for about 15 seconds per cylinder (SRX700). This fall when I went to start it, it was very hard to start. Plugs kept getting saturated with oil. Took me about 3 hours, had to keep spraying the plugs off with carb cleaner. That didn't work, so I preheated the plugs with a propane torch and that did it. Did I use too much or is this just how it goes?
You got it right with the HEATING THEM UP WITH A TORCH !!! makes it a LOT EASIER.. but,, the HARDER or MORE it takes to restart in the fall EQUALS the BETTER JOB you diid in PROTECTING the engine... So,,,, it costs you THREE HOURS this time,, BETTER than costing you a COMPLETE REBUILD and a DOZEN hours and a FEW HUNDRED DOLLARS in parts...

nosboy said:
the HARDER or MORE it takes to restart in the fall EQUALS the BETTER JOB you diid in PROTECTING the engine... So,,,, it costs you THREE HOURS this time,, BETTER than costing you a COMPLETE REBUILD and a DOZEN hours and a FEW HUNDRED DOLLARS in parts...

That's a very good point! I'll keep doing it the way I've been doing it.

I usually just fog it by getting it to op temp, then pop out the plugs and spray for about 10seconds. Then pull over without starting to spread fogging oil. After this I pull off my carbs blocks off the intake runners and keep my carbs in the shed for the summer, and I pull off my pipe and block the manifold.

I pull everything off cause Ive had too many mice, snakes, bees etc... building houses in there.

Back