Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSled

Site Admin/CEO
Staff member
Website
www.totallyamaha.com
All Classifieds Users:
There will be a rule change that will take affect over the next month. In order to sell as a user in our classifieds you will be required to be a VIP. You will NOT need to be a VIP to buy, or respond to a post in the classifieds. As a VIP you will only be allowed to part out 1 personal sled before we will consider you a paying classifieds advertiser. You can sell numerous misc parts that have piled up over the years but you will need to make that clear when posting to help us out. With the increase in new users only registering to make sales and the problem with scams we hope this will help all party's. Once again I cant express enough how important it is to use some kind of protected service such as PayPal to help your transaction.

Please get your VIPs taken care of over the next month or so, you will be told of the rules change at the end of the term and if you do not follow the rules your posts will be removed without notification.

Standard VIP membership is only $15 per year and its a small cost to give back to Totallyamaha for allowing your to sell your parts.

http://www.totallyamaha.com/Totallyamaha/Store/vip.htm

Thanks
TY Staff

This would be the first web forum that i have seen that makes you be a VIP (paid) member in order to sell. Yes, most other sites have rules that you either need to be a paid member, or have enough posts to sell stuff on the site.

I can say that I am not a fan of this new rule, and that has nothing to do with me being, or not being a VIP member. This is based on my personal experience as a forum moderator/ admin on large forums.

This will boost membership, but at what cost? There will be fewer people posting stuff to sell, and that will negatively affect the classifieds, and TY forums as a whole.

I am a VIP life member already and this won't effect me personally if I am selling something..BUT it will effect the number of parts I may be looking for as many will not get involved and move on to other sites then.Besides clutching issues on here,the second largest threads and posts are on selling and buying parts.We will see if this will turn out good or bad in the long run.
This could make it difficult for the new guys on here that can't afford to much at first to get their used sled fixed up with cheap used parts.And this may also raise the price on parts if members have to pay a fee for an occasional sell.Oh well,time will dictate..should be interesting.

my 2 cents....

$15.00 is a pretty cheap "business licence" to allow you to sell parts on here if you ask me. And it will give the sellers a lot more credibility if they sign up.... which is good after seeing all the troubles there has been here in the past year with sellers who were collecting money and not sending the parts.
These scams were negatively affecting the classifieds much more than implementing a "VIP membership before selling" rule ever will. I seen a few guys write that they weren't going to be buying things off the classifieds here anymore because of the chance of bieng scammed. I myself have watched recently who I have delt with because of this.
Personally, hearing this news makes me more confident in buying parts on this site.

bluemonster1 said:
hey sasksrx..did you get them jets I sent you...lol..I guess some postal worker stole them and using them as peircings or something..lmao.

Lol, no Blue, they never did show up. If they did you would have got back the money you returned to me for them!
For anyone who is reading this, Blue sold me a set of jets last year and they must of got lost in the mail or something cause I never received them. He was good enough to refund my money for them when I told him about it. It was only 16 or 18 bucks but it shows what his character is like. Your a good man Blue, too bad not all sellers are honest like you! The moderators wouldn't have to implement measures like this then!

Wow and what ***** this turned out to be. It's your site Mr. Sled/ CEO/ Site Admin. so your gonna do what ya want. You may run things around here but it's the members who built totallyamaha. I can all most hear it now when your being interview at the next TY ride. "Well Jim its very nice that you invited all the Totallyamaha Modterators out to enjoy the great white north." " The TOTALLYAMAHA.COM/ YAMALUBE OIL/ APEX ATTAK performed as expected today." "Did you know that this weeks ride was funded by all the fifteen dollar VIP/Classifieded money that I collected." You can give any reason you want for this VIP/Classifieded charge but its only GREED that drives you now. If you need cash to help with upkeep than just ask. All your doing is taking advantage of the small members/ users of this site.
Mark
Coldwater Michigan

Last edited by a moderator:
BigToe:
Seriously???? You actually posted that?? (Ive edited your post for language, and you've officially offended almost everybody that VOLUNTEERS to keep this site safe and positive for everybody to use, and I think most mods including myself take offense to that. You obviously have no idea what it takes to actually pay for just the server space to host this site each month?
This isn't some "Internet Brands" site like many others are these days, it's owned by Mr Sled, and only funded by what the site can bring in. If you've ever attended a TY ride you'd probably know how that works as well.. Takes guts to post this stuff directly to the sites owner/mods in an open forum, and I'd bet you wouldn't say this kind of stuff to his/our faces?
So what you're trying to complain about is that for you to try to sell anything you have to a focussed Yamaha group, and for this site to require a very small fee to have the privelage to do so is B**lS#!t? If you don't like it, go ahead and spend many times over that posting your stuff on other "pay-to-sell" sites? Sell even $100 worth of stuff there, and you'll pay more than what a VIP costs. Not to mention all the other free information and great friendships that can be gained here. If you'll notice, even Google doesn't provide near as much free info anymore. It mostly takes you to sites that charge you for info downloads.
You might want to look at the BigPicture here before that BigToe goes in your B!@Mouth?

$15.00 is a small price to pay for so much information and everything else this site has to offer. if being VIP to sell parts is what it takes to help keep this site up and running for all us yamahaulics then so be it! i know im not a vip member, but i plan on being one soon. if you got a problem with $15.00 a year, skip mcdonalds 2 or 3 times and its paid for, FOR A YEAR!!!!! well worth the money. imo people that complaine about this rule change have not used/seen the full potential that this site has to offer.

glockwise said:
I for 1 am out. I will not sell or buy anything from this site. I was going to become a VIP member, but as of late I don't want to be a part of what has been happening on this site. I'm prety sure this post will be deleted and this thread will be locked in no time.

You can disguise it as a percaution towards other members all you want but the truth is the percieved/actual scams per sale are negligable. Surely way lower than e-bay or craigslist. The truth is that VIP sales create revenue. Nothing more.

Members and visitors alike create revenue for this site. Visits from either view adds and click links which generate revenue. Is that enough revenue? I would imagine so, but it is not my site. If revenue is down or needs to be higher to support this site, honesty would get my $15 not some lame excuse regarding scams.

What is $15 for VIP status really going to do that a regular membership does not? I'm going to send in $15, so what. "well they will have to put down their real contact info"... really? Scam artists are using their real contact info now adays. Anyone can send in a bank check, money order, paypal, I'm pretty sure you even accept cash for VIP status. Anyone can open a fake paypal account in less than 5 minutes.

I think someone needs some better lipstick.

If you dont want to be a VIP...thats fine. I am not asking you to brake the bank... nor am I asking you to be a paying member to post on the site...

The biggest reason this has come up is because I am tired of dealing with emails from users that need me to fix their problems with bad transactions and bad users. The number 2 reasons is that we have so many guys parting out sleds and saying they are not making money and cant affords at least a VIP membership to give back to the site.... so you can thank the bad users and free loaders for this change not my pocket book.

This time is taking away from the time I need to keep the server safe and to create tech info for the users that need it.

If you are going to bitch about it, its not going to help your cause only make you look like one of the listed.

Maybe I need to sell the site to the offer I received in the last month and then you can have the new company take you to the cleaners....obviously there is no gratitude....

tippmannator said:
$15.00 is a small price to pay for so much information and everything else this site has to offer. if being VIP to sell parts is what it takes to help keep this site up and running for all us yamahaulics then so be it! i know im not a vip member, but i plan on being one soon. if you got a problem with $15.00 a year, skip mcdonalds 2 or 3 times and its paid for, FOR A YEAR!!!!! well worth the money. imo people that complaine about this rule change have not used/seen the full potential that this site has to offer.

It is hard to believe that $15 for A YEAR is too much to ask. You hit the nail on the head my friend, skip the drive through just a few times and you have all the access you could want on this site!

And as a bonus, in the winter months VIP members can participate in trivia and treasure hunt where you can win free stuff! NOT TO MENTION a FREE ticket at the Give Away Ride for a prize that exceed the $15 it took to sign up! I think people forget how much you actually get when you become a VIP, you more than earn your money back!

AND the recall bulletins are for VIPs only, another sweet perk for being a member.

So after selling one sled you have to be come a paying advertiser?? Whats that cost ?? Are you going to post advertiser rates??

Last edited:
tippmannator said:

Very well said! I think the only people who are going to complain are the ones who were enjoying riding the coattails of those who voluntarilly donated or became VIP well the rides over. $15 is nothing to gain the knowledge know how and the cheap parts available here.

Last edited:
antlerking said:
So after selling one sled you have to be come a paying advertiser?? Whats that cost ?? Are you going to post advertiser rates??

The rates right now are $35 per month or $350 per year to be a classifieds advertiser.

If you feel the need to part out your sled every year then there will always be the question of whats fair to those that do it as a small business.

Also if you are willing to contact me before we have to contact you, there is always room to negotiate.

I think to add to what Tom is saying is that there are some members here who actually sell regularly, or are selling more than just their personal stuff, or selling parts for a profit.

To avoid any confusion or disruption in your ads if you want to sell multiple parts, or part out your sled, I'd say it's best to pm a mod first to let us know what you're doing, so there's no confusion.

Thank you to all those that support this site, and who understands the benefits TY has to offer!

;)!

If you can't afford 15.00 a year to belong to this great website then you should not have any business owning a sled. Cheap bastards.

I became a vip member to give back to those who have helped me over the years,that includes all mods and members. I think it's a step in the right direction. We need to wean out the deadbeats that cause these problems. I have had my share of deadbeat dealings in the past and if this helps prevent it then go for it. Mr Sled our feedback forum helps in causing bad transactions but maybe you can develop a rating system that would be posted with members who buy and sell on the site. By doing this it will give new buyers some reassurance before the transaction actually happens. just my 2 cents.

Jim

MrSled said:
If you dont want to be a VIP...thats fine. I am not asking you to brake the bank... nor am I asking you to be a paying member to post on the site...

The biggest reason this has come up is because I am tired of dealing with emails from users that need me to fix their problems with bad transactions and bad users. The number 2 reasons is that we have so many guys parting out sleds and saying they are not making money and cant affords at least a VIP membership to give back to the site.... so you can thank the bad users and free loaders for this change not my pocket book.

This time is taking away from the time I need to keep the server safe and to create tech info for the users that need it.

If you are going to bitch about it, its not going to help your cause only make you look like one of the listed.

Maybe I need to sell the site to the offer I received in the last month and then you can have the new company take you to the cleaners....obviously there is no gratitude....

ebayfreak said:
I became a vip member to give back to those who have helped me over the years,that includes all mods and members. I think it's a step in the right direction. We need to wean out the deadbeats that cause these problems. I have had my share of deadbeat dealings in the past and if this helps prevent it then go for it. Mr Sled our feedback forum helps in causing bad transactions but maybe you can develop a rating system that would be posted with members who buy and sell on the site. By doing this it will give new buyers some reassurance before the transaction actually happens. just my 2 cents.

Jim

How does the feedback forum help in causing bad transactions? I think it helps prevent bad transactions if you use it correctly. Prior to buying from someone check to see what others have posted about him in the buyer and seller feedback section of the classifieds. If there is nothing on him check his prior posts at the very least. If someone posts even one bad transaction on a member that would negatively effect his ability to sell or buy in a big way. You do not want any negatives in the feedback if you want to sell or buy thats for sure. If he is a repeat offender and a problem then MrSled or a mod can take care of him real quick with a :ban: .

Last edited:
MrSled said:

VerticalScope Rob paid $150k for HCS....Don't sell yourself short...Thats alot of $15.00 VIP memberships just to sell sleds and parts...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back