95 VMAX 4 800 updates

norwegian said:
Wait, wait, let me get this straight, a 16 year old 500 dollar sled beat a 15000+ dollar apex? Is the apex slow or?
PROBLEY SET-UP, A VMAX 4 WILL DUST ANYTHING BUILT TODAY IN A DRAG RACE. BEEN THERE STILL DOING THAT!!!!!!!!!!!! 3:16(yammie tony)

that then proves Yamaha has not come out with a faster sled since the vmax4-800... :o| ..what's up with that.?????I want to keep an eye out for one in good shape..will be hard to find..but maybe I may luck out one day..

That seat is interesting because the tall seat of the Apex is something I truly dislike, and want to lower and shape like the 95 Vmax-4 seat. I have a torn 95 seat on my 1997 Vmax-4 because the 96/97 seats were taller.

4x4x4 said:
That seat is interesting because the tall seat of the Apex is something I truly dislike, and want to lower and shape like the 95 Vmax-4 seat. I have a torn 95 seat on my 1997 Vmax-4 because the 96/97 seats were taller.

When your 6'-2", I cant stand having my knees above my shoulders or the bars banging my knees... but I guess to each his own. :dunno:

On the Apex I have a bad posture for fast riding. My face gets too close to the handlebars as I bend over to get lower out of the wind. And bent over is not a good way to handle the bumps. When it is really rough I want to be able to pull my bum off the seat so as to not get kicked over the bars and still be low out of the wind. To me the 95 has the most perfect seating position of all the snowmobiles.

4x4x4 said:
On the Apex I have a bad posture for fast riding. My face gets too close to the handlebars as I bend over to get lower out of the wind. And bent over is not a good way to handle the bumps. When it is really rough I want to be able to pull my bum off the seat so as to not get kicked over the bars and still be low out of the wind. To me the 95 has the most perfect seating position of all the snowmobiles.

So in other words you ride with your feet back?? Apex sleds are rider forward design, keeping the riders weight over the bars and feet forward to allow riders to stand up easier for bumps. But you cant teach someone to ride an Apex, you have to learn... every sled has a ride that needs to be learned or you just change it to your liking... if you like the 95 seat.... thats great. I have a new one in my shop that will never be on a sled if I drive it.

No, my feet are hooked into the footrests. Standing is for slow or medium speed maneuvering, the added drag of a standing rider does not allow for high speed. The tall seat is great for trail riding, just not for speed.

4x4x4 said:
No, my feet are hooked into the footrests. Standing is for slow or medium speed maneuvering, the added drag of a standing rider does not allow for high speed. The tall seat is great for trail riding, just not for speed.

I can agree with that. ;)! Perfect... the new seat is for trail riding, if I was going to race it as you stated I would have left the 95 seat on.

bluemonster1 said:
that then proves Yamaha has not come out with a faster sled since the vmax4-800... :o| ..what's up with that.?????I want to keep an eye out for one in good shape..will be hard to find..but maybe I may luck out one day..

As I recall you like your river runnin.

If so a 4 dialed to carve ice is one hell of a ride. We do it here in SE Wi on the Fox river and there isn't much that will stay with one.

It's like a 40 mile road course with a 100+mph slotcar and no speed limit. What a rush!!

opsled

PS. Mr Sled, Another Bad Assed Vmax in the stable. Me Likes!! ;)! ;)!

Nice looking sled and great find!

Trail riding a Vmax4 is hard on a body. I put on 11 thousand miles on my 97 and recently 1500 on my 95 with the 144 M-10. Mostly the goat trails in NE, WI and 1/4 that in the U.P. I wish I would have had a M-10 years ago. Maybe i would have avoided a back surgery. LOL

You'll find yourself riding gas station to gas station instead or bar to bar. In the U.P. you'll want to carry a transfer hose incase you run out.

Two of my favorite comments on the 4 is, Coolest way to process fossil fuels, and My old dinosaur just ate your new technology.

And I'm guessing you already have but incase not make sure to remove the white plastic guides on you carb boots from the air box. The tabs have been known to become brittle and break off. Then getting ingested by the motor.

BARON 8BU said:
And I'm guessing you already have but incase not make sure to remove the white plastic guides on you carb boots from the air box. The tabs have been known to become brittle and break off. Then getting ingested by the motor.

Thanks for the head up :)

I wont be trail riding it all that much.. its more of a fun collector for me to ride a few times per year.

thats a steller deal, and a GREAT looking sled all said and done! I still miss the 96 we had. congrats!

so you payed 500 for the beast... how much did the whole restore cost?? just curious :)

great looking sled!! you gotta get some vid of it rippin next season :)

tippmannator said:
so you payed 500 for the beast... how much did the whole restore cost?? just curious :)

great looking sled!! you gotta get some vid of it rippin next season :)

I would say I have $1000 into the old girl... and my time... but that's priceless :)

nice looking sled for sure and the power it makes and being able to beat the newer sleds tells you Yamaha can make a muscle sled from the factory..Bone stock these beasts are fast as I hear..wicked..so now Yamaha has to come out with a new sled again that will be faster then the vmax4-800..they just have to.... :o|

Back