Wifes Viper

staggs65

bought a viper for the wife for this winter. was origionally wanting a redhead but ended up with the woman I have. ha-ha just kidding. ended up coming across this Viper. the sleds in really good shape overall but the #2 hole was dead. guy wanted $1200 offered $1000 cash and he bit.
024-1.jpg

it's got the old CPR built Hauck tripples,bender T-rods, brand new Kimpex ultimate traxion track with 144 new woody's, and some clutching
025.jpg

I suggest you have the crank checked out as part of the rebuild process. I had a nasty burn down on the same cylinder on my 2000 SRX. The burndown generates a lot of nasty debris which gets into the crank bearings I sent the crankshaft to Jeff at Midwest Crankshaft. He checked the crank, replaced the center connecting rod and shipped it back to me for $295. My burndown damaged the crankshaft, cylinder and power valve. It also destroyed the piston, rings and head. I was going to rebuild the engine anyway, just cost me more money than it would have had it not burned down. I had teh pistons coated by Swain Tech, thermal barrier coating on the domes and an antifriction coating on teh skirts.

Make sure you clean the heck out of everything.

I found an enormous amount of debris in the crankcase right under the damaged piston/cylinder. The wrist pin end of the rod was discolored indicating it got pretty hot. It does not take much metal debris to mess up the bearing on the crank. With the amount of money it cost to buy the new parts, having the crankshaft checked out by a pro is well worth it.

I also flushed out the exhaust pipe to get all the large metal debris out of it as well. These burn downs cause a huge mess!!!

this is on the back burner for a few weeks. was hoping if the damage was minor on this to get it together to play with at the grass drags. since it didn't turn out that way I hauled out the srx today and started getting that ready for grass. first event in 2 weeks.

got some parts in the works for this. the wife is gonna have to have surgery and won't be riding this season so this is going to be my trail sled for this winter. I bought Concept Carbon's Mrviper ported cyls. Don is going to be setting up a set of srx heads to work with his porting for it. probably also buying Concept Carbon's srx pipe setup for it. if I do I'll probably sell the CPR pipes if anyone is interested. picked up some 8ca's. I'll be switching my SRX to a race only sled. I'll start a thread on that soon.

finally got some time to work on this today. pulled the engine and tore it down. found a few more goodies in it. it has carbon fiber reeds in the stock cages. carbon tech maybe? also had an adjustable torque limiter on it. took the crank over to my machinist to check it out. everything checked out good there. also one of the case bolts snapped flush in the upper case so he's removing that for me. going to order all the seals and such that I need tonight. I'll get some pics after I clean out the engine bay tommorrow.

I'm going to take it to a radar run a couple weekends from now and will be changing the setup this week. Hopefully get some testing done this weekend. I've got a few pics on my camera from when I put it together that I'll get up this week. I did find this one already on the computer.
hoodieskids012.jpg

while checking the engine mounts I found the left rear mount was torn free from the chassis. I welded the torn piece back in and put a strip of 1/8" thick aluminum on the inside of the tunnel as well all the way across both engine mounts.

I'll get some more pics up this week, and hopefully some vids from testing

Last edited:
My mount was exactly the same a couple years ago. Noticed it when i was redoing all my bearings. Made brackets and had them welded from the inside also.

Yamasquaw said:
My mount was exactly the same a couple years ago. Noticed it when i was redoing all my bearings. Made brackets and had them welded from the inside also.

good to hear it's not the only one. I was kind of nervous about what this sleds been through when I found it. it had a torque limiter too. dont know if it would break free like that with the limiter or if it was already started before the limiter was installed

Back