yamaha oil...

Just a side note to starting sleds through the summer:

If you have a temp gauge you will notice that a sled without a thermostat will not reach operating temp until it is driven around at least up to 7k rpm for 15 min or half an hour. So unless you run them on a stand for a half hour at least, they will not warm up.

SRX500kid said:
know one has answer the question: how can you tell the oil pump is bad? i dont know my self. can any one help me and 88 Yamaha 570???????
Basically,, there is an adjustment ( I think 10MM ) when you pull the cable from the adjuster and measure the space within the two cable housings/ cable housing and adjuster socket.... There is a spec and it's pretty much a crap shoot how close you want to get to " stock. I have identical Vipers (2004) and the cable adjustments are probably .060 different from each other to acheive the same quantity of oil.. if the pump went bad it PROBABLY " FULL THROTTLES" the oil instead of leaning it out.. i think I remember something like that.. If the pump was NO GOOD , ( cable broken) ,it would BURN TEN TIMES the oil.. on the other hand,, if the pump was no good,, it wouldn't pump oil at all... So,, you see,, the adjustment is CRUCIAL to the amount of oil.. if you feel the pump isn't working correctly,, you could ALWAYS PREMIX the GASOLINE AND OIL by dumping oil right into the tank... then you're SURE there's enough oil... Gary O.

musselman said:
Just a side note to starting sleds through the summer:

If you have a temp gauge you will notice that a sled without a thermostat will not reach operating temp until it is driven around at least up to 7k rpm for 15 min or half an hour. So unless you run them on a stand for a half hour at least, they will not warm up.
GOOD INFO !!! ;)!

88 yamaha 570 said:
what does amsoil smell like? i know klots smells pretty damn good
Personally I think it smells like burnt plastic or something along those lines.I feel that it lubricates very well, but has more smell and smoke especially when the sled is cold.It will seem like its loaded up, I don't get that with other oils.I always thought it was kinda strange, anyone know why?Its almost like it has trouble burning when cold, hmm...

Pretty sure the "smell" is the castor oil in the recipe. Suposedly the castor oil is better for hotter burnig, higher performance engine. Back when I ran dirt bikes I ran klotz pre-mix and from time to time I would put some in the chain saw or weed whacker....LOL High Perf lawn care!

nosboy said:
Basically,, there is an adjustment ( I think 10MM ) when you pull the cable from the adjuster and measure the space within the two cable housings/ cable housing and adjuster socket.... There is a spec and it's pretty much a crap shoot how close you want to get to " stock. I have identical Vipers (2004) and the cable adjustments are probably .060 different from each other to acheive the same quantity of oil.. if the pump went bad it PROBABLY " FULL THROTTLES" the oil instead of leaning it out.. i think I remember something like that.. If the pump was NO GOOD , ( cable broken) ,it would BURN TEN TIMES the oil.. on the other hand,, if the pump was no good,, it wouldn't pump oil at all... So,, you see,, the adjustment is CRUCIAL to the amount of oil.. if you feel the pump isn't working correctly,, you could ALWAYS PREMIX the GASOLINE AND OIL by dumping oil right into the tank... then you're SURE there's enough oil... Gary O.

Not sure how wrench savy you are (88 yamaha 570) throttle should have 2 cables. 1 to carbs and other to oil pump. Lever on oil pump is cammed so max oil is delivered at low and high ends of throttle. each has different style adjuster. oil cable is usually kind of like a bicycles hand brake as it adjusts the lenght of the housing. Tech pages should have specs on what your should be,

Devilin AblueDress! said:
Not sure how wrench savy you are (88 yamaha 570) throttle should have 2 cables. 1 to carbs and other to oil pump. Lever on oil pump is cammed so max oil is delivered at low and high ends of throttle. each has different style adjuster. oil cable is usually kind of like a bicycles hand brake as it adjusts the lenght of the housing. Tech pages should have specs on what your should be,
i am very mechanical, i just tore down an srx that sat 3 years and am rebuilding it atm, i just didn't know if there was an easy way to tell if the pump was bad, i thought i checked the tech pages for this but not sure, the sled just seems to burn a bit more oil at idle than it should, im not sure how much it should burn and i just bought it so maybe its just gummed up in the carbs? maybe ill run it a few days and see how much oil i burn then go from there, it definitely doesn't burn as much oil as my 95 vmax does...

Pretty sure the "smell" is the castor oil in the recipe. Suposedly the castor oil is better for hotter burnig, higher performance engine. Back when I ran dirt bikes I ran klotz pre-mix and from time to time I would put some in the chain saw or weed whacker....LOL High Perf lawn care!

Castor is one of the best lubricants for a 2 stroke... If you want to tear the engine down every couple of hours. It lubricates well, but leaves all kinds of nasty deposits behind. You might be able to get away with it on a non-powervalve engine though.

(i've got model RC engines that like fuel that is 20% castor, 20% nitromethane, and the rest methanol. Nothing like the smell of burning castor oil, especially when you are burning it at a 5:1 ratio!)

staggs65 said:
youre going to have to drive it and figure out the gas to oil ratio you use.
that's what i was gonna do i just didn't know if there was another way i could do it easily before snow comes... i don't have a garage

I was talking about my vipers//.

my cable is not loose or broken so i think it is fine! i started them again today and she was a smoking!(start up smoke) ran fine. i cant ride it and i dont have a stand so i will find out during winter.P.S when i was looking a the pump the cable fell off (not wile running) will i be fine. there i very little slack in the cable as is!

SRX500kid said:
my cable is not loose or broken so i think it is fine! i started them again today and she was a smoking!(start up smoke) ran fine. i cant ride it and i dont have a stand so i will find out during winter.P.S when i was looking a the pump the cable fell off (not wile running) will i be fine. there i very little slack in the cable as is!
as long as you put the cable back on it wont matter, the only way you can unadjust it is if you twist the adjuster, or bend the bracket that holds the adjuster...

Back