yamaha oil...

88 yamaha 570

i know everyone has different views on oil for there sleds blah blah blah, power valves use only the best oil blah blah, what i want to know is i heard people going 15000 miles on walmart brand TC-W2 super-tech 2 stroke oil, what i want to know is anyone that has used this oil before to post what happened, if its cause fatal devastation in there sleds, how well it has worked, i want like personal prespective from users of what they thought of it, i have a 99 sx vmax 600 non power valve, and a 95 vmax 500 twin... if i had power valves id use yamalube but im going to be riding a ton this year and need to buy oil for 3 sleds so i want some cheaper solutions, this stuff is only 12 a gallon too...

Two years ago when I bought my 97 SX7, I asked he guy what oil he used in it. Wal-Mart 2 stroke was his answer. And he showed me the bottle and sure enough...Wallie-World oil it was. This left me a bit skepticle about buying it but I got it anyway.
To cut to the chase.......it had great compression and the cyl walls were perfect. Other than some carbon build-up on the dome, everything looked good. But then again,the oil cable was out of adjustment also.
I don't/didn't go through alot, so I got synthetic. If I were to go through substantionally more, I might look elsewhere. Might even consider W/M brand on a non PV sled. But then again, Yamalube is only @ 6-7 bucks more/gal.
How much oil are you probably gonna use this comming season?
If ya do go the w/m route, ensure that your useing the correct amount and adjust the oil cable if necessary.

I think maintanence (ie summerizing) is more of a factor than oil for motor problems. But for my money, synthentic. The way I look at it, man can make a better oil than mother nature.
Just my $.02

A couple of bucks said:
Two years ago when I bought my 97 SX7, I asked he guy what oil he used in it. Wal-Mart 2 stroke was his answer. And he showed me the bottle and sure enough...Wallie-World oil it was. This left me a bit skepticle about buying it but I got it anyway.
To cut to the chase.......it had great compression and the cyl walls were perfect. Other than some carbon build-up on the dome, everything looked good. But then again,the oil cable was out of adjustment also.
I don't/didn't go through alot, so I got synthetic. If I were to go through substantionally more, I might look elsewhere. Might even consider W/M brand on a non PV sled. But then again, Yamalube is only @ 6-7 bucks more/gal.
How much oil are you probably gonna use this comming season?
If ya do go the w/m route, ensure that your useing the correct amount and adjust the oil cable if necessary.

this oil is 12 USD a gallon, yamalube i get from a guy i know who owns a used sled and repair shop gives me a deal, and i would pay 29 a gallon for yamalube

JDViper said:
I think maintanence (ie summerizing) is more of a factor than oil for motor problems. But for my money, synthentic. The way I look at it, man can make a better oil than mother nature.
Just my $.02
i take really good care of my toys, i have yet to summerize a sled because the only sled i owned besides these was an old beat up exciter i sold for 300 after the season was over, how much does fogging cost? ive heard its the best way to summerize sleds, am i correct? is there a how to on her somewhere?

88 yamaha 570 said:
how much does fogging cost? ive heard its the best way to summerize sleds, am i correct? is there a how to on her somewhere?

1. Under $10
2. It is the best way to summerize......just the engine. Not fuel delivery.
3. Just take the top of the air box off. Start sled & spray the fogging oil down into your carbs untill she chokes out.

A couple of bucks said:
1. Under $10
3. Just take the top of the air box off. Start sled & spray the fogging oil down into your carbs untill she chokes out.
sounds complicated... lol, how about fuel? full tank with stabilizer and let it run a few minutes to get into carbs?

One thing that has not been mentioned is service rating which in my mind is the biggest issue more so than synthetic or non-synthetic when it comes to oils.I did have a buddy who had a crank go out of his cat and his uncle who rebuilt the engine said the crank bearings had a problem with improper lubrication from what he saw and guess what he runs, super tech outboard oil.I know we can debate till the cows come home about oil! A good cheap oil seems to be citgo sea n snow around 17 bucks a gallon with jaso fd certification which is very good.Or just go to one of the fall snow shows and look for a deal on a case of something, Just recently heard of smoking deals on cases of yamalube something like 17-18 bucks a gallon in a case purchase.

JDViper said:
Just my $.02

So, True ! Maintenance and jetting are the biggest factors in longivity. Todays oils are not the same as the 1960's.

I used the walmart stuff one year as did my bud. We both ride sx's they are both piped, thin head gasket , etc.... they both blew the mag side piston, as did my phazer. coincidence...hmmm... you tell me!

yammy said:
I used the walmart stuff one year as did my bud. We both ride sx's they are both piped, thin head gasket , etc.... they both blew the mag side piston, as did my phazer. coincidence...hmmm... you tell me!

So how did the oil affect a piston blowing? Sounds like jetting was your problem...

A couple of bucks said:
1. Under $10

ok i bet you guys wont like this, BUT all i did with my dads 2 sleds is put stable marine formula in the gas, and i go out and start them about once or twice evey 2 weekes! :p they both start right up and i let them run for like 5 to 10 min. is this ok? if not please tell me.
my sled (2000 sx500r)
my dads sled :o| (98 articat cougar dlx 550) :o|
i told him to go with a yami but did not listen!
:yam: :yam:

SRX500kid said:
i go out and start them about once or twice evey 2 weekes!
my dads sled :o| (98 articat cougar dlx 550) :o|

Nothing wrong with that. Just make sure your getting up to a good enough temp to dissipate/evaporate any condensation. Check your footboard heat exchangers for this.

As far as when you & dear 'ol dad are out, spending some quality time on your sleds........make sure you carry a tow rope for the Cat. And give him a full ration of Sh!t WHEN it happens. Busted crank before the seasons over.Bet.

The STABIL marine formula is good stuff. Twice the corrosion inhibitors than that of regular STABIL.

aaaaah that's funny. the cat has 4000 or so on it so i hope nothing happens!:( we are going to old forge ny in feb, and i don't want it to be a bust!!! i will be sure to give him him hell though! my sxr 500 stared up first pull at half chock today and the cat about 4 to 5.hahahaha./ as for this thered i run mainly yamalub but i also use what ever i can find at a gas station when i get low. i probably use about 3/4 to 1 tank of oil to 1 tank of fuel. is this normal? the only thing that is better on the cat is mpg. but as the saying gose "YAMAHA... SUCKING GAS AND KIKING @SS!!!!!!!!!!" :)

i live right in syracuse, ny, do you ever ride on oneida lake? maybe we will have to go ride sometime, i just got a nice srx for 200 dollars im rebuilding lol

It should be about 1 quart per tank of fuel.Some of those 5-600 twins had issues with the oil pumps and when they go bad they pump wide open all the time and this may be what yours is doing by the sounds of it.

Back