Sx viper build

snoprokidf6

Wanted to do this for a while and finally found some time to do the write up. Might not have a lot of detailed pics but i found as many as i have for this write up. Bought a 2002 viper last August and rode it around the yard a couple of times, pulled into the garage and immediately tore it down to the chassis to give things a closer look... and add some goodies.
viper.jpg

Pulled the motor and found I needed to replace a motor mount, add a torque link and put back in. Not too bad of a job. My next task was removing the suspension/track and getting a different skid/track. At first I got a edge skid and installed it, something was wrong with the shocks and they wouldn't compress completely (i think something was f***ed internally with them). So I ditched the whole skid.
P1010964.jpg
P1010965.jpg

So instead i found a pro x skid for a good price and a ripsaw for FREE!
P1020030.jpg

Bought some anti ratchet drivers
1231001115.jpg

I installed these only to find my rail were hitting. :o| Well i pulled them because I'm not a fan of cutting the rail tips and getting the anti stab kit... plus I'm a college student and on a budget. haha.

Next was onto my front suspension to match the rear. I picked up some iq springs off a 440 and put them on, the white blended well with the rest of my sled and got some C&A razors to put on as well.
P1020032.jpg

Also got an Apex riser, and some RSI handle bars to install.
Then college came and I was done working on it for a month, did a lot of reading on this site for other mods and PLENTY of ebay searching. But i got most of my used parts from this site! By Thanksgiving, we had a small squall come through and dropped 3 inches of the white gold.
P1020034.jpg
P1020046.jpg
P1020044.jpg

Got to put a few miles around in the field, and test my new clutch set up, 8ab's were workin OK, just needed a helix and secondary spring. My brother also picked a viper(chrome windshield) and if I had weighed as much as he did and got traction, they would have been neck and neck. BTW the indy 400 in the pic above will take any sled, and i mean ANY sled in 50 ft hahahahaha, she's geared to do 50 mph and has a custom (farmer) port job, exhaust ports only!

Last edited:
After riding that little bit I quickly found out the front springs were way, way, WAY too stiff for anything but jumping houses and riding 4 ft whoops, ditched them and got some black springs from a rev, they came from hygear which was a added bonus and worked perfect for what i was doing.

Winter break from school came. I got two months off at undergrad WWWWEEEUUUUU!! At some point i bought some bender triples. Again from a member of the site, thanks!
1216001309.jpg

Installed them, jetted, and did some minor clutch work, ended gettin a 51/43 helix and the green spring so i figured i'd try it on the sled with the pipes.
1221001522.jpg

Loved the sound, couldn't get my clutching down with what i had, fuel mileage was atrocious... so i sold them and got it to run well with stock pipe and silencer.
Not much more modifications went on last winter, just shock rebuilds, fine tuning my suspension, and riding, riding, and more riding.
1224001052a.jpg

1224001049a.jpg

1224000951.jpg
1224000922.jpg

Incase no one knows this, the ripsaw SUCKS in pow lol
0203011532.jpg
0203011531.jpg
0114011032.jpg
0114011031.jpg
0203011427.jpg
0124010920.jpg

My and my brothers viper again, had a very nice "bro" ride that day, only bad thing is his viper smokes mine everytime.
0111011418.jpg

Last edited:
College started back up and I was back to school, making trips home every weekend to ride, whether it was by myself, or bar hoping with dad and my uncles (very good times). My spring break came, our sleds were put in the pole barn going to storage soon, BUT, i drove by the lake and noticed some ice in the middle, turned around, got my sled and rode the afternoon around on the ice/water. My viper loves the water haha.
0326011443.jpg

The next day I took a trip up north to see some friends and noticed some sno on the trail, a good 2-3 feet in some spots, knowing it lead up the hill to the woods i assumed there was more. We did a April Fools Day ride in Tug Hill of NY and what a day!
P1020062.jpg
P1020067.jpg

This 400 seriously rips
P1020087.jpg

Brother on his viper
P1020094.jpg
P1020084.jpg
P1020089.jpg
P1020098.jpg
P1020083.jpg
P1020104.jpg

Needless to say, my ride ended half way through, went to go up a steep incline and my right rail caught a missing piece of my track, stopped me dead in my tracks. We had to cut a bit and limped the yammi back to the trailer. I still love this sled because it has never left me in the woods, gets me back everytime!!!!!
P1020070.jpg
P1020086.jpg
P1020117.jpg

Both vipers on the trailer, ready to go home after a great end of the season ride, now my season has ended haha.
P1020118.jpg

Well on my next break from school, i wanted to do a total over haul on my sled.
So i tore it down to the frame, inspecting parts, cleaning, ect.
P1020120.jpg

I bought some rings and re-rung the pistons, (i put 3500 miles on my sled the past winter). Now well into summer I was getting the itch to ride it. I contacted a guy who built me a narrow front end for water. I bolted it up, bout some steering tie rods, cut them to the right length and modified my stock skis. Also bought a freeride track off a phazer and tried her out on the lake.
0727011115.jpg

0728011632.jpg

I don't have any action pics as every time i went no one had a camera.... I can say that my sled has never been under water!!! I pulled my sled back in the garage after getting the itch out and proceeded to rebuild the sled. This is what i was doing if i wasn't at work or working on the sled.
donz.jpg

Fall came and my sled was almost done, I got around to painting my radius rods and trailing arms. I got a bar pad from RSI to match my new riser/handle bar set up.
P1020335.jpg

I also bought a seat off mussleman, his famous pro x seat with the yammi seat cover that everyone knows of. Installed it on my sled and proceeded with cleaning my sled up.
P1020323-1.jpg

P1020334.jpg

Now, i'm currently at grad school, still thinkin about sleds while trying to study. Still ebaying also lol.
Happened to get a nice package in the mail
foxfloats.jpg

Will be going home this weekend to install! I also have a few other goodies i purchased that i will be installing.

The viper is looking good..a lot of mod changing, i like it! ..2 years ago i had my right rail go through my track at 30mph stopped me dead in my tracks...good thing for my 8" risers lol

got some more work done on the sled this week.
i got home last friday and was gifted with 8 inches of snow!!!!!
P1020353.jpg
P1020354.jpg

i got my bender pipe/can installed, heelclickers in ready to go, adjusted my powervalves and put a few miles on in the field next to the house
P1020360.jpg

i did get a chance to get my fox floats in and can't wait to mash some moguls!
P1020365.jpg
P1020364.jpg

also got some vents from Moflow in to keep things cooler along with the srx cooler
P1020366.jpg

P1020369.jpg

overall i think i'm done with it, can't possibly modify it anymore... until i open up the motor, which wont be done until it pops! haha

Back