Exciter knowledge 101

we need snow!!
had some left over paint layin around,what the hell,always could use some more blue

blueexciter009.jpg
blueexciter003.jpg

Last edited:

I totally agree! Really nice job:) It would be real cool if we could line up all our exciters in one pic when we´re done with our mods. I can fix that in photoshop, whould´nt that be one hell of a pic?

thanks guys,pics would be cool,im never done moddin,testin,tuning,got more ideas then money and now i want a longtrack,lol.oh well ive had this sled for about 14 yrs so i got plenty of time

Just seen the result of my cousins ex2 with 144" mountain max skid, it looks awesome! Took my 136 from a 94 v-max was´nt that hard to fit, did´nt have to move the rear cooler either. Just make sure that you get the correct cc measurement from the sled you take your skid from;)

Exciter info

I had an Exciter at one time. The oil injection likes to fail on these it seems. Had to rebuild mine a couple of times before I realized they were prone to problems. That was when I started mixing my gas.

The carbs are finicky for changes in elevation and temperature change, resulting in burndowns if not monitored really close. I put a Holtzman Vari-flow carburetor compensator on and the sled ran great after that.

The old style of heelclicker clutch kits work great on this sled.

I had a PSI single on it I believe was a fun sled I had a 136x2 on it. It was fluorescent orange

Where do i find that old style heelclicker kit, i guess they could be found on ebay, but how do i get the right one?

I have some experience with Heelclickers for a different sled. The original ones were prone to self destructing from what I've heard. Do they work? Yes, but the original design was more for racing than general riding. Some may have had different experiences with them.

They work like a teeter totter. They also utilize extremely high spring rates. The weight you add on the back side must be equaled on the arm and then increased to overcome the increased spring pressure. I think that if they would fit that Heavy Hitter weights would be a better choice in my opinion.

My Heelclickers started to notch from all the force they were generating against the rollers. And with that much weight you better have a clutch that has been professionally balanced. I would have to go back to my tuning notes, but there is a mathematical way of tuning those because the arm weight has to cancel the heel weight.

Many people go back to using the stock spring. Make the arm = the stock weight. Then add whatever you put in the heel to the arm as well.

The stock weights on my application were Polaris 62g and my Heelclickers were just shy of 90g when I finished tuning. That's a lot of weight spinning around. I was able to achieve even better results with the Heavy hitters with about 65g. Mostly just adding weight to the pivot and mid area of the weight.

The exciter was designed as a high torque twin so it should benefit from most adjustable weights that allow you add weight around the pivot.

thefullmonte said:
The Exciter engine was designed as a high torque twin,
so it should benefit from most adjustable weights that allow you add weight around the pivot.
I must disagree on that statement.
A piston port induced twostroke engine has not high torque.
An old Rotax-583 ( Rotary valve induced ) will outperform the piston port induced Exciter engine in any rev range.

Lasse said:
I must disagree on that statement.
A piston port induced twostroke engine has not high torque.
An old Rotax-583 ( Rotary valve induced ) will outperform the piston port induced Exciter engine in any rev range.

After a little research I have to agree with you 100%. The exciter motor is 73 X68 bore/ stroke. This would tend to make make more power with higher rpm. I had just remembered reading somewhere that the exciter was intended as a higher torque corner to corner sled. Granted porting and other variables undoubtedly come into play. I suppose comparing a parallel twin to a triple design we could think the 570 is higher torque. Compared to the rotax motor, not so much. Thanks for pointing that out.

hiperformance engineering has some adj thundershift kits for yamahas.#200-982.
i was also told a 49-39 cam works
gets pretty spendy putting parts in outdated clutches but,coated cam is $200-weights $145 etc.
had a comet with f-2 weights and a red spring,run sec in b-2 or c-3.worked but the clutch wore out and then they went out of business for awhile.gave up on that.
best bet may be to put on 96 vmax clutches

yeah that´s what i´m planning to to when my exp is finished... but there´s a evil tought coming to my head lately.... what about a trippel oooo yeah, a 700 would be really nice in my exciter. I think that will be my next mod.... but that would be in the future though. Now i´m just gonna use it til it´s dead:)

if you want to feel like youre in low range and have excellent accelaration set it up for high rpm and throw in some phazer 8vo and yellow/orange spring.just dont lake race.i took it to 95 and it was still haulin ***.great for trails and ditches.pulls the skis at anything under 50.stood it straight up more then a few times with just a blip of the throttle

**** coool! I´m not interested in topspeed, just want awesome acceleration and durability. Please explain further.... I did´nt get that phazer part??? Yellow orange spring...hmmm i got silver right now in my primary.

phazer weight-45.8 grams-8vo is what it says on weight,beginning of part #
phazer high alt spring-yellow orange

Ok i get it, but does these parts fit the comet 108 exp? Thanx for the info btw:)

no,i think 108's came set up for the wide belt.mine was.is the back of youre secondary helix turned?
went and looked at my old setup.silver spring should go with f-2 weights.55 grams.set the sec.spring to c-3

Last edited:
Yeah, saw that the other night, that´s what i´m talking about! It would be really cool with a 700 in an exciter:)

Back