Track clips? Full vs every 3rd

gil7247

VIP Member
I put a new hacksaw on my 02 Viper that was clipped every 3rd with all windows open, because I got a good price on the track. Since I'm bored and we haven't gotten any snow I was wondering if I should pickup a clip tool and some clips to make it a fully clipped track. I'm not sure about the advantages or disadvantages of fully clipped vs clipped every third window.
any info would be appreciated.
Gil

That's what I was kind of thinking, but I didn't know if it was worth it. I'm not worried about losing top speed my want to be racer days are long over!!
Gil

I prefer clips for them reasons. Also seems to were sliders better too. But I have heard of some not wanting this because of the added rotating weight. I noticed it did coast alot better when I went to full clips. May b different for u since u said u got a good deal on the track but normally u can but fully clipped cheaper than buying others and clipping the rest urself. Ads up getting clips and the tool if u don't have access to one.

I will throw in a left handed monkey wrench for you, its lighter to run a every other clipped track(less rotating weight) and its faster if you run the oversize idler 5.350", and rear wheels 7.50" , just something to think about. :dunno:

How about a fully clipped track WITH 5.35" wheels? That is what I just setup on mine but haven't run it yet... no snow.

I was wondering the same thing. I just got a 1.25 ripsaw fully studded from a friend. I installed it on my 02 viper along with 8 tooth anti ratchet drivers. I cut open all the windows but didn't clip the rest of the track. Whats your thoughts with the anti ratchet drivers.

If you're clipped every third then you probably would have some closed windows as well...which you would have to cut out to put clips in. I was gonna go every 3rd myself to save some coin but found a dude on ebay selling new fully clipped ripsaws for under $400 shipped.

Mine is all windows open clipped every third window. I am going to clip the rest, just for piece of mind & to save hyfax wear.
Dadawg, I think you are supposed to have all open and clipped with your anti ratchet drivers because those drive off the windows and without the metal clip the cogs will be driving right off the rubber track window and won't last very long if you are very aggressive. Gil

Guys run extros (or anti-ratchet) drivers with clipped every third in the mountains all the time. Obviously all windows have to be open, but the reduction in rotating weight is very beneficial, especially as the the track lengths increase. There is always a clip on at least one of the drive cogs at any point in time even with clipped every third. This combination with oversize wheels is the best setup in my opinion.

I went to a Ripsaw with clipped every third window and had big problems with slide wear. So I bought an expensive set of Hiperfax and those didn't last more than 500 miles either. After talking to an engineer at Hiperfax he told me the slides are cooled mostly by air not snow so I needed to get more air to the slides. I opened up the open windows wider so that the slide didn't cover the opening anymore. I also installed track slide wear pads in the closed windows to reduce the friction of the track rubber on the slide. He also suggested I put bigger front wheels on to reduce the friction further, I bought some inexspensive bushings from Hauck the position the stock wheels about 1/4" lower. I put on a new set of Yamaha standard slides and they lasted 2500 miles. So, for about $50 and 2 hours of my time I saved myself the hassel of replacing the slides after every weekend trip. You will be happy with your purchase, it hooks up way better than the stock Yamaha track. Hiperfax used to have a really good web site with a how to section showing the modifications I described but I can't find it. If you want info let me know and I can get into more details and send pictures.

On a side note I also noticed that the lugs across the closed windows rubbed pretty good on the front cooler stud protectors so I trimmed them down as well.

Thanks for the info. I'm defanitely going to clip mine and I'm interested in the wheel mounts. I'm assuming they are for all 4 wheels 2 on each side. I really don't want to go to bigger wheels as I just bought new red / black yamaha idlers that match my rears so If I could do something to set them a little lower that would be great.
Thanks again Gil

bruce at pioneer sells them bracket kits, just relocates and still uses stock wheel. not sure of what other peoples kits are. i know his are the brackets though

Well I ordered camoplast guided clips from dennis kirk. Now I'm hoping to borrow/ rent a track clip tool, I don't really want to spennd $100 on one right now. Also I'm gonna order those ofset idler bushing from Hauck and try them. I will post my findings. Thanks Guys Gil

Back