Old Blue

MAD MAX V-MAX

Well I have a small story to tell and all sleds were properly maintained and no sleds were harmed in the making of this story.

For many years I was a DOO/MOTO-SKI fan. It all started with a Moto-Ski Nuvik I would burn up and down the cottage roads (80 pounds of terror) burn through the snow right to dirt. Then came a Moto-Ski mirage II what a Blast I had on that. Then a Moto-Ski Super Sonic. Then a MX 470 2 motors in that one. Then a 521 Formula Plus no motors in that one. Then a Mach 1 617 one motor in that one. Then another Mach 1 670 2 motors in that one. Then a Formula 111 600 one motor in that one. Then a F chassis Mach Z many a rebuild on that then came the JUMP SHIP DAY. Standing in the new Yamaha Dealer at the cottage I saw the 2000 srx what a sled and next to it was a 2000 sxr 700. Well I said my back is toast from riding all these bucket of bolts Ski-Doo’s so let’s get the sxr. That being said 10 k+ and 10 yrs later and allot of tuning and riding fun It was time to retire her. I couldn’t sell her she was as blue and pristine as the day I bought her so she was put away only to come out once a year to run up and down the lake. The sound of a bender piped triple is always music to my ears. I replaced her with a 2005 mach z 1000 what a mistake 3 yrs 2 motors, sticking eraves , constant break downs, electrical gremlins what a piece of junk but when it ran wow did it run I took a week off work this past week to go riding and sure as the sky is blue bang 400 km 2 days in brand new eraves seized again. So I get back to the cottage open the garage door and there she is OLD BLUE. She hasn’t run since last year so I pull the plugs pull her over a few times. Put the plugs in give her some choke pull once pull twice bang she starts. She puts out a bit of smoke but keeps running. Needless to say she runs the rest of the week without so much as a flaw or hiccup so that being said all I can say is thanks to OLD BLUE I have jumped ship again for the last time.
Thanks for reading

Great story... thanks for sharing. ;)! Ive said for years, if I were to jump ship, it would be to doo. But the motor issues these things have had for quite some time is enough to keep me Blue Too!! :rockon:

That is a good story and so true for alot of doo budys i know.If it was me i would pull that doo skidframe and put it in the sxr!Than let the doo sit in storage.

Great story....I fondly look back overthe years of sledding. Back when I was like 10-12 I was riding a 1972ish puma 399 jlo rockwell. My dad Bought a nearly new yammi. It was a 78-9 ish 340 enticer. The few times I rode it I was like the cat the ate the canary.....Perma-grin some might say! I picked up a twin to it along side the road for $100 a couple years ago, purely out of nastalga. Rode the snot out it the following winter putting gas and oil in it, Never even changed a plug! As spring was upon us I threw it on craigslist asking 500 obo. Local guy showed up took a few laps around the yard and offered me 300......I still see it every once in while.

Give Ole Blue a new Boss seat and forgett about fixing that Doo. It sure is nice to have a reliable sled, and with a high Boss Seat a comfortable reliable machine to boot. Al

I will however say if you ever have the chance to ride a well maintained RT mach Z please do you won’t regret it. (JUST DONT BUY ONE STAY BLUE) What a rocket ship and man do they handle great and Yes all my buddies etecs are going down rings at 5k. One of them was up in Cochrane a couple of weeks ago with an 800 etec a fuel line came loose and it burnt to the ground in minutes and his replacement etech went down with a fuel issue as well. Let’s not even talk about Doo’s SDI sleds what a disaster they are I get it all manufactures have their issues some of the Mach Z’s 2005-2007 have 10+k on them and have never been opened up and I am not trying to say one is better than another. I am however saying I will never be jumping ship again thanks to OLD BLUE.
I forgot to throw in there was a Snow Drifter a Snow Jet a Prowler a Phazer and a 650 in the mix of sleds we owned but there will never again be a DOO.

Attachments

• photo (2).JPG
    photo (2).JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 13
Amen to the reliability. I remember going to the Yamaha dealer in December of 1978 and bringing home a new Enticer 340 with my dad. Actually stuffed it in the back of a Subaru stationwagon! We rode the snot out of it. Never put anything into other than belts, plugs, and oil... I have the sled now and my three kids have all started with it. We've had it on the trails in Ohio, Wisconsin, and nnow Pennsylvania. It has never left us on the trail and is the reason why we will only buy Blue. And yes, I've owned other colors...

Just an update 1 year later and I haven’t missed the machz one bit and the new little man is already wearing the blue hat

Attachments

• photo (11).JPG
    photo (11).JPG
    89 KB · Views: 7
  • photo (9).JPG
    photo (9).JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 15
Thats funny thats what i call my 00 sxr is ol blue. Haha yours looks cleaner and less abused than mine.

I haven't been here for awhile so hear is a update on my Girl old blue
IMG_1325.jpg
Well it's been 19 years and old blue has buy far been the best sled I have ever owned but its time to put her away for a nap so that my little man will have a chance to enjoy a bender piped triple Yamaha in about 10 years from now she is in perfect shape still and I have a new sled in the stable as my back is toast I found a showroom condition 2016 phazer rtx 674 km on it lets hope it holds together like Old Blue has.
IMG_1171 (1).JPG

congrats on the new ride! you will miss blue's power but odds are the fuel milage and your back will be worth it. jujst watch those tuner skis as they tend to push bad in soft conditions.

going to rock my dads 2005 sx venture this weekend in a poker run to give it some exercise. will be sweet to hear that tripple scream across the lake.

i never got it when someone has such good luck with one brand, jumps ship to another. especially when they know of, or have had lots of trouble with the new brand. thats a sweet sxr, i picked up a low mile 01 myself a couple months ago. looks good next to the apex

I haven't been here for awhile so hear is a update on my Girl old blue
View attachment 64833
Well it's been 19 years and old blue has buy far been the best sled I have ever owned but its time to put her away for a nap so that my little man will have a chance to enjoy a bender piped triple Yamaha in about 10 years from now she is in perfect shape still and I have a new sled in the stable as my back is toast I found a showroom condition 2016 phazer rtx 674 km on it lets hope it holds together like Old Blue has.
View attachment 64834

Your knees and back will be thankfull riding the phazer.Got 3500 miles on mine since Dec 2013(RTX).Tuners ski are great on hardpack but so so everywhere else.84 mph on GPS is the best i got.Fun sled but the mods on mine help(GT clicker shocks,GYTR exhaust,excell header,Schmit brothers racing swaybar,etc).mar 24 2015 (17).jpg

Last edited:

Back