just put the polaris in his place.......

I still got 3 relics around here, not posting to bash the srx. I love my srx and have a lot of time and money into it. But the fact is my new sled is faster, lighter, rides better, and is much more fun to ride.

ottawaair said:
I still got 3 relics around here, not posting to bash the srx. I love my srx and have a lot of time and money into it. But the fact is my new sled is faster, lighter, rides better, and is much more fun to ride.
Just curious here, but how fast is that Rush? When you say faster...do mean it's a quicker sled in a drag race, or is it faster top end? I just found the Rush 800 we rode with didn't have any legs up top...not bad in a short race, but noooo top end...although I hear they work better with gearing and light clutching.

ottawaair said:

Wasnt saying your bashing the SRX. Just saying ALOT of guys compare their new sleds to the 98-2002 SRX. Comparing an 2012 fuel injected 800 to a 98-02 carbed sled is STUPID. Just like I would feel stupid bragging my 99's or 00's would whoop up on 89-90 cats,doo's or polaris's. Sticker price on your 800 pro r was what? Somewhere in the $11,700 range? Would seem silly if it was slower, heavier and less fun to ride.

$10,000 out the door. My days is swappin helix's and springs trail side have run out. Would rather just ride it. I know how it is with tunnel vision and all, I had it too. The Polaris, which is a switchback, 136" , is quicker out the hole mostly because it transfers so good, and have seen 112 on speed, 110 on GPS. Bone stock, studded. A Rush is same thing but 121".

i wasnt bashing anyones sleds either. i rode the srx ,and i rode the rush. rush was way quicker. i myself would rather ride the old sled. that new rush feels very weird to me. it sits kinda high, and has a reel dirtbike feel to it. but i hear once you get used to it, its much more comfortable.

Devilin AblueDress! said:
Wasnt saying your bashing the SRX. Just saying ALOT of guys compare their new sleds to the 98-2002 SRX. Comparing an 2012 fuel injected 800 to a 98-02 carbed sled is STUPID. Just like I would feel stupid bragging my 99's or 00's would whoop up on 89-90 cats,doo's or polaris's. Sticker price on your 800 pro r was what? Somewhere in the $11,700 range? Would seem silly if it was slower, heavier and less fun to ride.
yamaha doesnt have anything new to compare it to. no two strokes, 1000cc four strokes. were forced to compare new stuff to the old yami's cause the new ones dont compare. i think it was new york shootout? the polaris kicked everyones butt in the 800 class. even the 1000cc yami's.(hows that for a fair comparison? 1000cc beat by 800cc!! maybee yamaha will get their head out of their *** and build what the customers want before the customers are gone. if i wanted to ride something as heavy as a new apex, id cruise around in my worktruck.

s10mike said:
yamaha doesnt have anything new to compare it to. no two strokes, 1000cc four strokes. were forced to compare new stuff to the old yami's cause the new ones dont compare. i think it was new york shootout? the polaris kicked everyones butt in the 800 class. even the 1000cc yami's.(hows that for a fair comparison? 1000cc beat by 800cc!! maybee yamaha will get their head out of their *** and build what the customers want before the customers are gone. if i wanted to ride something as heavy as a new apex, id cruise around in my worktruck.
Yamaha does build quality sleds but like you said are behind the times.Time for a new sled from the ground up..a 2 stroke would be sweet.The Apex has been around 10 years now..time to move on as others are doing..we need a fun light sled again,we don't need power steering..:o|,just give us a lighter sled that runs great and can compete with the competition ..otherwise we all will be riding the competition in the near future.Oh yeah the prices have to drop immensely to..time to get back to basics and fun sleds..I would say a 800 SRX 2 stroke would make Yamaha a lot of money..as long it is affordable of course.Still love my Yami's.I think Yamaha riders have been waiting a long time already for something new from the ground up..

s10mike said:
Did you read the spring edt of American Snowmobiler? Poo is the slowest of the bunch...and unless they have work done to them it's like that in the real world....here's a recap for ya..all 1/4 mile runs done on snow...not grass like the New York Shoot out

Cat 800 13.08 @ 94.03mph..wet weight 562lbs
Doo 800 13.29 @ 92.93 mph..wet weight 558 lbs
Apex XTX 13.06 @ 98.40 mph..wet weight 706 lbs
Poo 800 Rush 13.59 @ 90.21..wet weight 593 lbs

The 1000 4 strokes are a very fair comparison when you factor in weight...they give up over 110lbs to sleds that make the same HP. The Rush is a very fun sled to ride, I've ridden 3 of them and really like them...however the lack of HP compared to the other 800s is evident...they actually feel more like a strong 600 or 700.

People will always compare the new stuff to sleds like the SRX or F7..those 2 sleds were over achievers in their day running 114-118mph out of the box...most new sleds still won't pull those speeds, but the trade off is they are tons more comfortable.

Last edited:
Not saying results would have been different, but wonder why they used a xtx in that shootout. I read those stats too. They are all great sleds, but I wasn't gonna buy a doo or a cat. Nytro's feel odd too. I thought I would step outside the box and am pretty happy with my choice. There is something to be said for riding 200 miles a day and feeling great the next day. I don't ever see myself on a sit down sled again.

shadow44 said:
Did you read the spring edt of American Snowmobiler? Poo is the slowest of the bunch...and unless they have work done to them it's like that in the real world....here's a recap for ya..all 1/4 mile runs done on snow...not grass like the New York Shoot out

Cat 800 13.08 @ 94.03mph..wet weight 562lbs
Doo 800 13.29 @ 92.93 mph..wet weight 558 lbs
Apex XTX 13.06 @ 98.40 mph..wet weight 706 lbs
Poo 800 Rush 13.59 @ 90.21..wet weight 593 lbs

The 1000 4 strokes are a very fair comparison when you factor in weight...they give up over 110lbs to sleds that make the same HP. The Rush is a very fun sled to ride, I've ridden 3 of them and really like them...however the lack of HP compared to the other 800s is evident...they actually feel more like a strong 600 or 700.

People will always compare the new stuff to sleds like the SRX or F7..those 2 sleds were over achievers in their day running 114-118mph out of the box...most new sleds still won't pull those speeds, but the trade off is they are tons more comfortable.
i'm going with the grass numbers, cause we dont get any snow here anymore. ha ha. like i said i like my old blue sled just fine. even though its old and slow.

Your old blue sled is why I bought a new red sled. Now get your balls out of your old lady's purse, and go north with us next time..... you can share a bed with Kurt.

kurt wishes! lol your fault, you put the supertune on my old blue! if i didnt have you in my corner id go buy a new sled too. [fuel injection gives me a woody]

i am a 40 year man riding yamis and they really need 2 do some sole searching for us older guys who like 2 ride but are tired of fighting with the sleds in the deep woods, had my shock tower go threw my belly pan on my mountain max 700 while i was on a mountain trip so my buddy said lets go rent a new sled for u so u can ride , so thats what we did 2012 summit doo 154 x15 800 well that was the best ride ive had in the mountains ever they are effortless to move around and carve in and out of tress and we put on 150 km on 5 gallons of fuel so was really impressed with fuel consumption ride and handle and at the end of the day i was not beat up still wanted to ride but run out of day light. so yami has one year to build something new or im snow checking 2014 doo or polaris sorry guys but those are my thoughts

bluemonster1 said:
Yamaha does build quality sleds but like you said are behind the times.Time for a new sled from the ground up..a 2 stroke would be sweet.The Apex has been around 10 years now..time to move on as others are doing..we need a fun light sled again,we don't need power steering..:o|,just give us a lighter sled that runs great and can compete with the competition ..otherwise we all will be riding the competition in the near future.Oh yeah the prices have to drop immensely to..time to get back to basics and fun sleds..I would say a 800 SRX 2 stroke would make Yamaha a lot of money..as long it is affordable of course.Still love my Yami's.I think Yamaha riders have been waiting a long time already for something new from the ground up..

Not quite that long. It came out in 2006. You could say 10 years if you blend in the RX-1 years though being it was kind of the same engine platform.

extremelyfastmax4 said:
i am a 40 year man riding yamis and they really need 2 do some sole searching for us older guys who like 2 ride but are tired of fighting with the sleds in the deep woods, had my shock tower go threw my belly pan on my mountain max 700 while i was on a mountain trip so my buddy said lets go rent a new sled for u so u can ride , so thats what we did 2012 summit doo 154 x15 800 well that was the best ride ive had in the mountains ever they are effortless to move around and carve in and out of tress and we put on 150 km on 5 gallons of fuel so was really impressed with fuel consumption ride and handle and at the end of the day i was not beat up still wanted to ride but run out of day light. so yami has one year to build something new or im snow checking 2014 doo or polaris sorry guys but those are my thoughts

The Doo's look very nice. My problem is I would not own the 800. It has been a grenade waiting to happen. I know of alot of engine failures with that block. The 4 stroke engine sounds like it gets good reviews, you can get more out of it with the header/ecu and clutch mods too. Too bad it does not come in the XP hood design. I think the older Rev hood looks dated. I have heard their new R motion skid is the ticket though. Also it has been known their front end is a bit light and does not takes a light hit very well. I have seen several in the shop with the front corner of the bulkhead torn out where the A arms attach.As for Poo, the Rush rear skid probably does ride good but I do not care for the short running boards or the strange design. I also prefer the Yamaha secondary clutch over all others. So simple to tune and work on. The Doo primary and secondary is a bear to work on. Both Polaris and Doo use the older internal helix system. After 17 years of the YXR reverse cam secondary I don't ever want to go back to using a snap ring tool again.

Back