just put the polaris in his place.......

journeyman said:
The Doo's look very nice. My problem is I would not own the 800. It has been a grenade waiting to happen. I know of alot of engine failures with that block. The 4 stroke engine sounds like it gets good reviews, you can get more out of it with the header/ecu and clutch mods too. Too bad it does not come in the XP hood design. I think the older Rev hood looks dated. I have heard their new R motion skid is the ticket though. Also it has been known their front end is a bit light and does not takes a light hit very well. I have seen several in the shop with the front corner of the bulkhead torn out where the A arms attach.As for Poo, the Rush rear skid probably does ride good but I do not care for the short running boards or the strange design. I also prefer the Yamaha secondary clutch over all others. So simple to tune and work on. The Doo primary and secondary is a bear to work on. Both Polaris and Doo use the older internal helix system. After 17 years of the YXR reverse cam secondary I don't ever want to go back to using a snap ring tool again.
you should be used to riding a grenade waiting to happen, out of all my friends, the viper blows up the most, hands down. at least the doo probably has the same compression ratio on all cylinders. just sayin.....

journeyman said:
The Doo's look very nice. My problem is I would not own the 800. It has been a grenade waiting to happen. I know of alot of engine failures with that block. The 4 stroke engine sounds like it gets good reviews, you can get more out of it with the header/ecu and clutch mods too. Too bad it does not come in the XP hood design. I think the older Rev hood looks dated. I have heard their new R motion skid is the ticket though. Also it has been known their front end is a bit light and does not takes a light hit very well. I have seen several in the shop with the front corner of the bulkhead torn out where the A arms attach.As for Poo, the Rush rear skid probably does ride good but I do not care for the short running boards or the strange design. I also prefer the Yamaha secondary clutch over all others. So simple to tune and work on. The Doo primary and secondary is a bear to work on. Both Polaris and Doo use the older internal helix system. After 17 years of the YXR reverse cam secondary I don't ever want to go back to using a snap ring tool again.

havent seen many break with under 7000mi on it. And a 2 stroke really isnt that expensive to rebuild. Alot of times you can just put new rings in and go another couple thousand miles. Do you think they become the best selling by being the worst? And clutchwork is just set and go... not that big of a deal for a great working clutch. As for poo iv only heard problems about the first year rush's but polaris seemed to do a good job of refining it to almost perfection ( and unlike yamaha it only took 2 years ). Looks like their putting more development into their generators then their sleds at this point

The yami clutches r definately easier to tune than the internal helix design. Polaris primary is similar to yami. Now the tra on doos takes some time to get familiar with. As far as I can tell, I don't need to tune my clutches, the factory did a fine job with that. I spend my time fine tuning the suspension for changing trail conditions.

s10mike said:
you should be used to riding a grenade waiting to happen, out of all my friends, the viper blows up the most, hands down. at least the doo probably has the same compression ratio on all cylinders. just sayin.....

Not really. I have 9000 miles on mine. I am the original owner too. Still runs like a champ.

If you do your maintenance and leave a Viper stock they are very reliable. The ones that go usually have triple pipes on them or more.

Last edited:
devinzz1 said:
havent seen many break with under 7000mi on it. And a 2 stroke really isnt that expensive to rebuild. Alot of times you can just put new rings in and go another couple thousand miles. Do you think they become the best selling by being the worst? And clutchwork is just set and go... not that big of a deal for a great working clutch. As for poo iv only heard problems about the first year rush's but polaris seemed to do a good job of refining it to almost perfection ( and unlike yamaha it only took 2 years ). Looks like their putting more development into their generators then their sleds at this point

7000 miles? Most of the guys I know don't keep them that long. I have seen several go in the 2000-4000 miles range though. I have several friends in the sled biz too. It has been a known fact that the 800 block was Doo's best selling part. When they lunch a cylinder or crank it is very expensive. As I mentioned, I like the Doo's ride and styling. I grew up on Doo's as a kid in the 70s. I also like reliabilty at my age and their 800 hasn't proved it to me yet. Would I like Yamaha to be more aggressive? Of course I would. Would I like another 2 stroke from their camp or a new rear skid.......yeh sure. If I owned a Doo right now it would either be the 600 (good runner) or the 4 tek. Just my 2 cents.

Polaris primary clutch. Yes I know all about them. I used to pit for a successful Polaris racer and I ran one on my old Exciters in the day. Simple to tune. Yamaha's YXR system all came together in 1995 once they change the slide buttons and introduced the YXR secondary. Before then I liked Polaris and Comet for tuning.

devinzz1 said:
cranks arent cheap, best selling isnt always the best, clutchwork is far from set and go

doos had a lot of motor problems on the 800 and a lot of it was the cheap oil they were using but the last 2 years they have come a long ways and they spent a load of cash researching the oil they use and developing that 2 perffection . a lot of piston and crank failer. and yes the doos are weak on the front ends, i would give the chassi build 2 polaris over the doo since 2013 polaris has eliminated the chain case and use belt so less rotating mass and the belt drive has been proven 2 stand up to over 350 hp engines with out breaking. now on the nytro yami if u pile up the chain case u need a new bulk head as the chain case is built into the bulk head , so when u or ur dealer works on the chain case it has to be right or u could blow that apart. AL

Never go by the "Seat of your pants " feel they are usually full of S---!
A lot of sleds Feel fast but when you line them up it is often a different story!!

extremelyfastmax4 said:
doos had a lot of motor problems on the 800 and a lot of it was the cheap oil they were using but the last 2 years they have come a long ways and they spent a load of cash researching the oil they use and developing that 2 perffection . a lot of piston and crank failer. and yes the doos are weak on the front ends, i would give the chassi build 2 polaris over the doo since 2013 polaris has eliminated the chain case and use belt so less rotating mass and the belt drive has been proven 2 stand up to over 350 hp engines with out breaking. now on the nytro yami if u pile up the chain case u need a new bulk head as the chain case is built into the bulk head , so when u or ur dealer works on the chain case it has to be right or u could blow that apart. AL

350hp? for how many seconds? lol you start taking that much boost to an engine thats is made for 150hp (polaris 800) its a ****ing grenade with the pin pulled bud. Ski Doo's 800 has been a joke in terms of reliability for a long time. when they changed to the Rev chassis they also used factory greased crank bearings ( no oil touched them ) so they would consistently go. as well as their oiling system was junk right from the get go and the little plastic lines would break all the time cause melt downs... just junk. They finally came out with the Etec... (not built by rotax praise the lord) which seem to be decent thus far with a few minimal problems and $9878972368726387/ liter oil. Yes the belt drive is a good idea, although really arctic cat had it right with the diamond drive, but nobody can maintain the ****ing things.

Back