need an explaination on gearing

bluemonster1

LIFE MEMBER ONLY ONCE!!!
people talk taller gearing/steeper gearing..What does it really mean??If I go up 1 tooth upper from 23 to 24 on my SRX..is that called steeper..and if I go down to 22 tooth..is that called taller..Would the SRX perform better with lower gearing..more torque of course and perhaps motor would run more efficient and pick up some speed..?????

Gear Ratio
http://www.racenssr.com/calc.htm
MPH Calculator
Fill in the appropriate information below, Then click when finished.
Engine RPM
Chain Case Gear ratio
Clutch ratio (1.00 w/o Overdrive)
Driver diameter in inches (7.07, 7.75.) The speed in MPH is miles per hour.
The same DRIVER size and RPM will give the following speeds based on the following gear ratio changes.
1.40 1.45 1.50 1.55 1.60 1.65 1.70 1.75
http://www.vintagevmax.com/vvforum3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1529

so according to the calculator..if I dropped bottom gear from 38 to 37,my ratio changes from 1.65 to 1.60.I should see a increase in mph of about 3 mph from 108 to 111 mph.

you can gear down way lower match clutching and go quicker and faster top speed.i have my 2005 rx1 dropped 2 teeth on top and clutched it will do 115 mph on radar between 1000 ft to 1500 ft

raise the tooth count on the bottom for better chain efficiency whenever possible(less bend at the adjuster makes for easier turning). i always prefer this to dropping teeth on the upper, although more spendy. 1 t on top is usually good, 2 teeth and you want to rethink the configuration.

dont forget to factor in the chain length whenever modifying ratios. there are given specifics and guidelines.

I already changed to a shorter chain years ago so there is no real bend in the chain,must be a 68 as it fits on nice and snug with no bend,so if I drop a tooth on top it won't be a big deal.If I was using the stock 70 chain..it would be bending more.

Back