06 Yamaha Apex Vs 2012 800R Etec

Murse

Life Member
So been sitting here at work for weeks now looking at various snowmobile magazines online, checking weather predictions for 2013 sled season and other wise dreaming of sledding and drooling at other various news events such as new Yamaha product etc. Can't seem to find much on the Apex vs F1100 turbo in forums but hopefully will be able to compete this season and make my own review/ video ( www.youtube.com/Murse20 )

Anyway, Last winter I bought a used 2006 Apex GT mods done already turn key in expectation to only use in 2013 we got a snow dumping which provoked me to get on the trails. Put on 1100 kms in 3 weeks before the snow went away. My father in law bought a 2012 800r etec which I tried sled was comfy, fast, good on gas and otherwise improved from 2 strokes i had previously ridden some 4 years prior. I was real curious about comparing it to the Apex. At first let me explain that all that I have heard negative about The apex is in my opinion wrong. The Apex is fast, fun to drive, sounds awesome, pretty good on gas, easy to handle just really really fun to ride trails with. On an outing with the doo we lined up 6 times, 3 races I won with the apex and 3 the doo took em, thought I was going to lose all, Very impressed with the Apex. We seem to be even whomever gets more traction at the start wins. Haven't seen top end yet but I love the Apex and anyone who goes for a non Yamaha sled are lost. Can't wait for snow!

A friend of mine picked up a 2012 x-pkg 800 e-tec last year. Can't wait to run against him this season on my well setup 06 pex gt. He formerly had an older (an 05 or 06) 800 rev. All stock, (his machine) he could stay with me for quite a ways. But I would eventually pull away after about 80mph.

I expect the e-tec to be much quicker. Should be interesting!

quite the contrary, ETECs seem to be slower that the powerteks from what i hear thus far. All the losers in my shop ride doo. There are 3 renegade backcountry 800s. a 2009 ptek, 2012 etec and 13 etec. the 09 has a different spring in the primary, the 12 has a dynamo joe clutch kit, the 13 is stock. the ptek smokes both of them... funny thing... the rider is about 80lbs heavier on the ptek. they switched riders once and it wasnt even close.

Back