My ditch banger project!

super1c said:
Well little by little its comming together. In between work and up north got some stuff done. Got the engine back together with the viper reeds and cages. Chain case back together. New clutch kit installed. Going with the turk set up for 600 twins. A 50/44 helix (micro belmont) green secondary spring at 60deg, and 8AB weights with 2.4g rivets in all holes. Really looking forward to see what this little twin does. Got the HID's installed and awesome again. I love these kits from DDM. They are really quality stuff and plug and play. I hope to get the skid done (BTV treatment) and installed tomorrow. If i do there is just enough snow on the ground for a ride around the yard. Few pic's of today
Very nice! I know it's an old thread but I'd like to know what ddms you went with and how they're working for you. I have some 55w lows in my Mitsubishi and love them. I'd like to get a kit for my sx700 now. 35w or 55w? Hi and lows? How did you go about securing the ballast and wiring also? Thanks.

I ran the 55w on this sled. As the season went on I was unable to run them anymore. The 55's were to big of a draw for the small ignition system. I think the stator only put out 175w. Not enough to keep battery, heated shield, and the rest powered. The stator would over heat and shut down. When cold it would fire right back up. I never got a chance to run the 35w to see if it would make a difference. If your sled is a single bulb sled it has the old ignition system. The 35's may work but I have not tried it yet. All my vipers with the 300w ignition have no trouble running hid's and plenty more. For as cheap as they are worth a try.

Last edited:
There is plenty of room to mount everything under hood in light pod space. I just used zip ties so it was a easy change out if needed. And as it turned out it was needed. Simply unplug hid and put old bulb back in and good to go. I really like these and will try the 35 watt ballast this year. I also went with the high low kit. It doesn't make it brighter it just changes the direction of the bulb to throw the light out further in front of you. Also you must run a battery, no ones figured out how to run them without yet.

hmph. I love the ddm kits that's for sure. Got a 55w in my 3000gt. Looks so much better than stock. Super nice.

Can you give me a direct link to the hid kit used here?

I used HID from DDM tunning. I first ran a 55 watt but it was to much for stator to run ballast and keep battery charged ect. It would over heat stator and short out. The 35 watt worked fine at 4500 lumens. But if it was me for these older ignition systems the CREE LED’s are the way to go. Just as bright as a 35watt HID these days and not the draw. The HID does throw a bit more light down the trail but LED’s are close. http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/MOTODDMDDM-35W-55W-Single-Motorcycle-HID-Kit

Just an example of LED I was talking about. You can find them with fans but the heat sink is fine. Any lumen color you want.
http://www.xenondepot.com/H4-LED-snowmobile-headlight-kit-p/h4-led-shl.htm

Get with Rock from ROCTOYZ over on 4 stroke side and he can hook ya up also. He knows his LED’s / HID’s.

I am doing a ditch banger project this summer. I will be making a 1998 vmax 700 into a mountain max with electric start and reverse. I hope I have as much fun on my project as you seem to be having on yours

Back