Humble Beginnings

SX700triple

2upperDeluxe
NOTE: This thread starts out with a really sketchy, crappy build but keep reading, it takes shape. Rick.

I suppose it's about time I get around to making somewhat of a build thread for my XLV. It started out as a fairly low mileage but rather unmaintained '88 model that I acquired from my brother-in-laws grandmother. After growing up riding my dads '80 SS 440, I always love the SRV's but could never find one in decent shape. Sooo long story short, I made my own ;)!

The day I brought it home (along side the original front end donor)
DSC_0136-1.jpg

DSC_0170.jpg

I immediately started hacki.... I mean grafting the Inviter front end on. Not too many pics of this process but its pretty similar to doing the Phazer wide front end.

DSC_0200.jpg

DSC_0195.jpg

A boat load of rivets and aluminum patch panels later and the belly pan was starting to close up.

DSC_0201.jpg

Not too proud of this part but I made due with the tools I had.

DSC_0203.jpg

DSC_0205.jpg

Put the '98 SRX seat on, brought it up to my grandma's house in the UP and put it through its paces. So far so good and plenty ugly!

Last edited:

DSC_0219.jpg

DSC_0236.jpg

Then I got to thinking "why not put a longer track on it?" So I made up a tunnel extension and bought some rail extensions from WPS.

DSC_0239.jpg

Went through the skid with new bushings, shocks, bearings and some paint.

IMAG0107.jpg

DSC_0406.jpg

And, finally, I found a cheap donor SRV that was pretty well beat up but the front end wasnt in too bad of shape.. So the cutting started again except this time I could do the conversion properly.

IMAG0069.jpg

So out comes the drill and saws all..

IMAG0083.jpg

IMAG0085-1.jpg

IMAG0086-1.jpg

Put the front bumper and side panels off the SRV on the help with mocking up the struts. There is a slug welded inside the frame tube for extra meat. Every thing was set with an angle finder to keep everything true in the caster and camber departments.

IMAG0088.jpg

It's easiest to cut the outer tab off of the exhaust 'stand' to aid in cutting and welding.

IMAG0099.jpg

Not pretty with a 110 MIG with flux core wire but plenty strong.

IMAG0094.jpg

IMAG0100-1.jpg

Holy mess!

IMAG0101.jpg

Struts perfectly in line with each other.

IMAG0091.jpg

Then came time to cut the hood to fit the strut covers. Traced a stencil from the SRV hood.

IMAG0102.jpg

Probably wasn't the best idea to do this part after a 12 pack. Notice the mislocated first attempt :o|

IMAG0103.jpg

Made a filler panel from the SRV hood and had some rattle can paint mixed up to match as close as possible

Got the skid put back in and mocked it up on some SRX Mountain skis

IMAG0108-1.jpg

Then the search was on for some decent knuckles and ski mounts. Thanks Mr. Sled and paulw for pulling through on that part!

While the search was on for the bottom end of the front suspension, I started on the bars/riser and worked at reinforcing the running boards and tunnel.

RSI bars and 5" Rox riser

IMAG0114.jpg

IMAG0115.jpg

IMAG0122.jpg

IMAG0112.jpg

IMAG0113.jpg

While waiting for ideas on what to do with the gauge cluster, I picked up a Yamaha Comet 102c from snowdad4 (also got the SRX skis from him). Rebuilt the clutch and started cleaning up the motor.

IMAG0042.jpg

IMAG0041.jpg

IMAG0044.jpg

IMAG0043.jpg

Also went through the secondary with new buttons a fresh spring and some more orange paint.

IMAG0119.jpg

You can also see the wrapped exhaust which I unwrapped this year. Hopefully going in for ceramic coating this year yet.

Motor all cleaned up and ready..

IMAG0363.jpg

Just kidding of course! 5.2 magnum I built for my '95 Dakota.
Anywho,

E-start block off

IMAG0056.jpg

IMAG0054.jpg

IMAG0062.jpg

Yikes!

IMAG0048.jpg

Stuffed the motor back in and a better shot of the crispy fresh clutches

IMAG0125.jpg

Then things finally came together. Finished the bars with the gauge cluster, got all of the front end parts and replaced the wear items, bought viper skis(which I hated!) and final assembled the sled.

2012-11-11_14-55-21_754-1.jpg

Please excuse the dirty bars

2012-11-11_14-55-48_987-1.jpg

The skid was not sitting flat on the ground so I dropped it out and relocated the holes an inch and a quarter lower.

2012-11-11_14-53-55_684-1.jpg

And I was finally done! (For now, have a 2 wheel kit and anti stab kit coming in the mail as I type this)

2012-12-08_09-50-16_874.jpg

More pics (taken today)

Added the gas can since the machine only has a 7 gallon tank. Also put on a LED tail light.

2012-12-08_11-52-37_109.jpg

2012-12-08_11-52-14_185.jpg

2012-12-08_11-52-02_641.jpg

2012-12-08_11-51-02_914.jpg

And of course, since this machine was built for riding in the great white north, I have to show a little UP love. I really miss living there.

2012-12-08_11-55-10_136.jpg

If any of you want any detailed pics of anything just shoot me a PM or post in here. Hope you all enjoyed my little build! Pics are scarce at some points but I think there were plenty anyways haha!

Not gonna lie...this build started off pretty sketchy with all those pop-riveted hole fillers!! Lol. But she turned out great! Good job
Sno

Thanks guys. I was laid off and broke when I started the whole thing so I really made due. It was super sketchy! It's slowly evolved over the last couple years as I think of new ideas or notice things that have to be changed. It's been a fairly expensive (re)build since I wanted to use all Yamaha factory parts. Even the front end shim kit is from Yam!

Last edited:
Nice and light sled that thing will go through the snow just fine.
What part of the UP are ya from? Im in Marquette.
Dave

I haven't been to Marquette in years! I'm from Ontonagon, born and raised. Still have some family up there but most have moved since White Pine lost the copper industry and now that Smurfit Stone pulled out there's nothing left.

Thanks. Painting that secondary was a pain. Probably took a good 10 hours alone.

UPDATE: Got the anti-stab and two wheel kits installed. The sled is done for this year. (I think?)

Last edited:

Back