01 srx vs 650 indy

EvanD

So a kid i work with is hot to trot for my srx lol I only ridden the srx once.buy it sure feels likea rocket! Srx is stock other then studs (160ish)and only has 800 miles.

His sled is a 90 Indy 650slp pipes pods heads decked 150psi and clutched .also has 144 studs.

We will be running 1000 ft on ice

So do i got him or is it going to be close?

Not even close dude. If you can hook up from the get go, you're going to be long gone.

I don't know if I'd say it won't be close. A piped 650 in the hands of a good tuner can be a handful. I remember some of the guys in my town who used to mod Indy's...very fast sleds. We had one guy who had his 600 running 114mph in a very short distance..roughly 1/4 mile....and he was one of about 6 guys who could make those old Indy tripples haul the mail. I'd bet if this kid knows his stuff and wants to run a specific race ( distance, type of track etc ), he's quick...I would love to see this race on a vid.

Well the srx is fresh and tight for sure.his motor its fresh but he is running a new never tried by him clutch set up.his sled is a trail sled not s race sled.but ifs clean and tight.not sure how well it runs since i hasn't ridden with him yet

I would have to agree with shadow! You don't know what this race will be like without knowing who set up and did the engine work on the 650. I've seen some very fast 650's, also seen some very slow ones. LOL The only true info we have is the SRX is stock and that being said will be quite fast! Let us now how this turns out.

Srx is a 700.. He rebuilt his engine its stock other then th pipess and heads being decked .has a slp light blue and white spring 10 m weights and a slp helix. Not sure on the angle.

Last edited:
tedgoesfast said:
my old sx exciter set up would beat an indy with pipes
Then either your Exciter was very well modded and tuned to the teeth, or the 650 was a pile or crap.

INDY 650 WAS VERY FAST IN ITS DAY. ALONG WITH THE WILDCAT AND PLUS X SKIDOO FROM THE ERA. YAMAHA HAD A VOID IN THOSE YEARS. SORRY TO SAY. THAN IT CHANGED WHEN THE VMAX 4 CAME OUT. 3:16 (yammie tony)

YAMMIEGOD3:16 said:
THIS INDY WOULD HAVE TO BE 100 % ON AND THIS SRX WORN OUT JUNK. OTHERWISE FORGET IT. 3:16 (yammie tony)
I know your a great tuner Tony, but if this kid knows his stuff and has his sled dialed in...it could be closer than you think, especially in a short distance. We had some scary fast Indys in my area back in the day...all running 115-120 mph on the gun...not really trail sleds, but all out lake racers and that's all these guys did..every weekend they ran up and down the lake...true tuners.

Yeah this kid isn't a pro by any means.good mechanicly and all but neither of us are master tuners.his sled is his trail sled so its not wild

HEY LOOK ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN. I CAN BRING MY 77 SRX OUT AND CRUSH THOSE INDY 650,s LIKE I USE TO. THE OLD OLD CAN BEAT THE OLD. THE OLD CAN BEAT THE NEWER, YOUR RIGHT ITS ALL IN THE TUNER. FROM WHAT I HAVE READ HERE, SRx ALL THE WAY. 3:16 (yammie tony)

Indy 650's around here were and are plentiful. Seems like everyone had a variation of the Indy. Before anyone else had trailing arms and outboard suspension, they were the ride of choice. Everything else were pogo sticks in comparison when it came to the rough stuff.
More to the subject. I had my RXL set up to run with a couple XC 700's in my group and on a good day I could hole shot them everytime and be there on the top end too. For a tank, it was fast. Best radar run on Gillies Lake was 114mph in 2000'.
The first SRX 700's of the nineties came along took the wind right out of my sails. I didnt think there was a stock 700 I couldnt keep up with.
Hence my screen name and my new to me SRX 700.......stock.
Keep in mind that my RXL was fuel injected (stolen from cat), so carb mods/tuning were off the table.
It could be a good drag. ;)!

Vid it and post it up we all wanna see it. Get r dun put that poo in it place.

Back in the day...before I started modding my Vmax4 I had a 1990 "02" 650 Indy with Decker pipes, advanced timing, High Comp heads, 44mm carbs, Race ported, "D" single ring forged pistons, light weight aluminum radius rods + trailing arms, aluminum gears, titanium drive and jackshaft, Elholm plastic shorty skiis, dummy one gallon fuel tank, Chrome molly everything in the suspension, ect ect

That sled was very very light and went like #$!!. I won a lot of money at the winter carnivals around here in Radar runs and 660' drags. My 650 would win the 700, 800 and open classes without exception.

Unlikey you would run across a 650 Indy nowadays thats modded enough to handle a good running SRX but you never know...

Back