SXR 700 vs 02 Edge X 700

GD23RTF2

I'm sorry to keep asking stupid questions, but if you don't know you're better off asking than making an expensive mistake right?

I've always been a big supporter of all things Yamaha, and I've been looking for a good, cheap 01 SX700R, but am not having much luck. At least not close enough to home to make it worthwhile.
I did come across something interesting today. Not big on anything Polaris, but there is an 02 Edge X 700 for sale close to home for what looks to be a good price. From what I understand, the 02 goes like a bat out of hell.
How is the performance and longevity of something like that? Reliability, handling, etc? More day to day on crappy twisty Wisconsin trails and maybe some of the high speed groomed sweepers up in the U.P.
I'm not so much interested in straight line performance, but with the horsepower numbers the 02 puts out, one would think it would rival an SRX except on top end.
I feel like a traitor, but these things are supposed to be animals.....and it's mostly blue, just has the wrong name on it.
What do you guys think of these machines?
Do I dare go for it, or keep looking for a perfect 01 SXR?

Thanks,
~G.D.

A guy who I've ridden with before has a 03 xcsp 700. Not the same sled but...... I got the chance to ride it and yeah, it rode good. Suspension was plush. Could definitely get out of it's own way but the one thing that turned me off immediately was the feeling of the twin. After riding my Viper which is as smooth as they come, that thing felt like I was riding a bulldozer. Reliability is questionable. If you take care of em' they last. Sometimes if you take care of them they don't last. I know he hasn't had any issues with his after 4000+ miles but you never know. I've always liked the look of the EDGE series but I liked the look of my Viper more, and I like the SXR more too. To each his/her own.

my dad has a polaris and gotta say that thing is built way better than arctic cats or skidoos, if i couldnt buy a yamaha i would definately buy a polaris.......

bADa$$ SRX said:
my dad has a polaris and gotta say that thing is built way better than arctic cats or skidoos, if i couldnt buy a yamaha i would definately buy a polaris.......

I would agree. We owned Polaris for years. Never had any problems with em'. Don't know what I'll do if I ever have to buy another sled. Gonna be tough matching that triple feeling..........

GD23RTF2 said:
I'm sorry to keep asking stupid questions, but if you don't know you're better off asking than making an expensive mistake right?

I've always been a big supporter of all things Yamaha, and I've been looking for a good, cheap 01 SX700R, but am not having much luck. At least not close enough to home to make it worthwhile.
I did come across something interesting today. Not big on anything Polaris, but there is an 02 Edge X 700 for sale close to home for what looks to be a good price. From what I understand, the 02 goes like a bat out of hell.
How is the performance and longevity of something like that? Reliability, handling, etc? More day to day on crappy twisty Wisconsin trails and maybe some of the high speed groomed sweepers up in the U.P.
I'm not so much interested in straight line performance, but with the horsepower numbers the 02 puts out, one would think it would rival an SRX except on top end.
I feel like a traitor, but these things are supposed to be animals.....and it's mostly blue, just has the wrong name on it.
What do you guys think of these machines?
Do I dare go for it, or keep looking for a perfect 01 SXR?

Thanks,
~G.D.

Chassis wise they are very good an solid...I had an 03 Edge X 600 and it rode well. Comfy, predictable handling, good suspension...all around good sled. Motor wise I think the 700 was decent....as good or better than the 800. Personally I prefer the 600 as it seemed very dependable. As long as it's been maintained I would think if the price is right they are a great sled.

JDViper has what looks to be a decent SX700R in the classifieds, shouldn't be too far from ya. Check it out.

Did you look in classified lately??? See VIPERKING has a 700 sxr, looks pretty good. See he is also in wisconsin. KNow its a big *** state though.

Where in Wisconsin are you located? I know of an opportunity for a very nice 2000 SXR 700. I already have a 2001 as well as five other sleds so I have no real need. This one is near Superior. Its not publicly advertised. If you're interested, pm me.

Weatherbyman said:
Where in Wisconsin are you located? I know of an opportunity for a very nice 2000 SXR 700. I already have a 2001 as well as five other sleds so I have no real need. This one is near Superior. Its not publicly advertised. If you're interested, pm me.

I'm in Mosinee. Smack dab in the middle of the state.
I saw the one that VK has, but he's 3 1/2 hours away from me. Makes it a little bit rough for me. If I go there and don't like what I see, I'm looking looking at a long, frustrating ride home.

Thanks for the heads up, but I'm kinds hung up on the 2001 with the updated electrical system.
The headlight and separate hand/thumb warmers is what I'm after. Of course I'm just like everyone else. I want something that's mint, with no miles and that's being given away.
:-p

It's not that I'm cheap(Well.....) it's more of a case that whatever I get I want it to be the best possible thing that I can find. Chances are I'll never get to ride it much because the winters have been awful lately. It will no doubt last me for quite some time if it's perfect.
Found one perfect one for cheap with 1143 miles.....but it's in NW Indiana. The farther I have to travel, the more it ends up costing.

It's getting frustrating.....

Other option is maybe a Viper or an SRX.(00-02)
Seems like people are just about giving the SRXs away around here. I like the idea of the 02 with the the electrical system(HL & separate warmers) & with the DCS because of the crappy fuel.
Just wish there was more travel F & R.....

well if you can get asrx for the right money, longtraveling with viper shocks or mono-skid in back isnt that much money. In the end your still paying wether you drive somewhere and spend money on gas or get a screaming deal local and spend the money to make how you want it. Ask the seller if they would meet you halfway. might be a option to try??

Thanks again for the advice people.

I was out rinning around today so I figured what the heck, and went to look at the Poo. Looked great in the pics.....from the road looked good too. Closer I got, the worse it got. Seemed like it lead quite a rough life in 4400 miles. I've seen 25 year old Exciters that were neglected that looked twice as good.
I think it's more a case of initial quality than anything else.
Guess there's something to be said about a machine that leaves the factory put together well, and with care. I think even if it had been babied, it would have still been a half a pile.
Looked like a disposable tool.
Just like a marginal looking woman, I guess a Polaris only looks good from a distance.

Feel kinda stupid for even thinking about it.

I guess SXR, a Viper, or an SRX it is then.

I bought some parts from a guy in the classifieds this fall (i will try and look him up) he had a MINT 01 sxr for sale, not sure if it was a 6 or 700 though. It looked like it just came out of the crate, and I am very fussy.

All else aside you will be happier with the triple AND enjoy better fuel economy. In the long run, the YAMAHA is far better quality as well. You might also want to consider a MOUNTAIN SRX. One year only sled, same skid as those years Mountain Max and way more comfy than the short track SRX. I love mine, even after 14300 kliks.

Back