81' ET250E Quitting

06apexak

Got a question about this thing quitting. At first had origianl carb trouble, but then replaced it with a mikuni. It has run great for more than a season. Last week my kid let it idle for 10 minutes or so and it quit.(Not the first time she let it idle for while, no troubles before now) I did not see any spark, but there was a little juice you could feel when you grabbed the plug wire. Replaced plug, no difference. Replaced external ingnition coil and regulator (headlight was dim), and she fired right up. While getting gear on it quit again and did not want to restart. Tried again in 30 minutes and it fired right up again. Im thinking it is getting warm and I am afraid there is trouble inside with the points or something (I think it has points,, been so long since I have really worked on these things). Any ideas? Next I was going to try running it around and see if running it a bit cooler would make any difference.

have you tried re-grounding the motor to the frame? might also be a broken wire in the harness that touches when it is cold and moves away when warm.

enticer quitting

I was going to run it around to see if it would over heat or something, but no spark anywhere now. I am starting to check the wiring and ground. I have unplugged the tether cord and key switch but no changes yet

I had the same thing on my old enticer. had to go thru everything. I even got a new cdi box (don't do that til last - it's the most expensive). definitly do what Maim says, check those wires for breaks. then check the ignition coil and the wires around that (I've had that break on my sons ET250 out in a field once, pure luck I fixed that on the spot), then move into the guts of the motor like the stator.

Back