98 vmax 700 xtc vs 97 xlt special

hessracing

Hey guys Ive been posting about this new vmax i got on the vmax forums My dad has a 97 xlt sp with aaen pipes on it the sled has about 3000 miles on it so its pretty fresh my vmax has about 7000 miles on it and is bone stock when we dragged on the road we did a rolling start and i thought i'd go on his go having a bigger sled and all i was spinning a little bit but i still think he was faster than i was is this right? is my machine getting tired? do i need to change the wrap on the secondary? kinda sucked having this happen

Look in Tech section clutch her up reed spacers. Stock them sleds leave at lot on the table.

Last edited:
The stock 8ch weight blow the 8df from the 00-up red head are much better weight. Work real well. Good setup 8df 3.6 base 4.5 tip in weights with a 51/43 helix

Race him a few more times. His crank will spin out of phase and then he'll be easy to beat. :) At least that what happened to my 97 XLT Special, that was a bad year for those.

sxr70001 said:
Race him a few more times. His crank will spin out of phase and then he'll be easy to beat. :) At least that what happened to my 97 XLT Special, that was a bad year for those.
I think you got unlucky with that xlt. Yeah I have heard of a couple that has crank issues, but most did not. We had a 96 xcr6 and I know of quite a few other xlt/xcr's that had tons of miles and no issues.

If he has tripple pipes and your stock then he has a big hp advantage there. also those proaction suspensions werent much for the whole weight transfer thing. Ways to make better so do some search's and be amazed at what you find

his is a 600 and mines a 700 mine stock is supposed to be 110 and his with pipes is supposed to be around a 110 the suspension on the vmax is really soft do you think i should play with that in the rear too? definitly want to clutch it though!

horkn said:
I think you got unlucky with that xlt. Yeah I have heard of a couple that has crank issues, but most did not. We had a 96 xcr6 and I know of quite a few other xlt/xcr's that had tons of miles and no issues.

Sorry, I guess it was a bad joke. I'm not against Polaris, it's just that I had that exact year and model Poo and 97 XLT was a known problem with cranks for part of the year until they upgraded the oiling for the pto bearing. All other years were really solid. I rebuilt mine 3 times before I got rid of it. Cheers!

sxr70001 said:
Sorry, I guess it was a bad joke. I'm not against Polaris, it's just that I had that exact year and model Poo and 97 XLT was a known problem with cranks for part of the year until they upgraded the oiling for the pto bearing. All other years were really solid. I rebuilt mine 3 times before I got rid of it. Cheers!

Ours did not have the upgraded bearing oiling, and had no such issues. Yeah, I got that it was a bad joke, but not always what happens with them.

Finally getting to get out this weekend and do some riding. Weird winter.

Something is wrong with your setup, I've owned both sleds at the same time, my xlt had Decker triple pipes, clutched, jetted, etc. My Vmax 700 had silencer mod, clutched, reed spacers. I rode both, the xlt was a turd compared to my Vmax, didn't even feel close.

Goody, maybe his Yamaha is tired compared to the poo? You never know, all brands have some that run better than others, even in the same year. I've seen it myself way to many times. Plus there are a lot of variables, different pipes, being one of them.

Horkn, I hear ya, I was just saying my experience is all... I do know my XLT was in MINT shape, the motor was sound... I rode both, and I know my Vmax felt a whole lot faster than my XLT, and my Vmax had over 10000mi on an unopened motor. (This was 3 years ago, different Vmax than I have now). But on the flip side, my XLT had the FOX PPS suspension on it, and I will say, it was like riding a Caddy compared to my Vmax, it just didn't have the power my Vmax did. That XLT I had was a nice sled though...clean as a whistle and rode NICE...

Last edited:
got it set up better changed the wrap in the secondary to 1 and 3 and seemed to make a differance also tighten the rear shock up i blew him away today in the feild!

Back