94 Vmax4 750 vs. 04 Viper 700

acauto

Unlike most of these debates I own both sleds in question. I have been riding Vipers for years and also owned a 2002 SRX but I have recently started collecting older sleds including a 1980 SRX, a 1987 Vmax 540 and a 1994 Vmax4 750, (also a non Yamaha 1988 Polaris 650 ). I just took the 94 Vmax4 out on a beautiful flat, hard packed lake here in NH. and was blown away! The SRX and Viper hit hard and settle down to easily pull to 100+ MPH but the Vamx4 is totally different, partly due to a stock track and no studs you have to creep up on the throttle but once it starts going it is like a freight train and seems to pull harder and harder the longer you hold it. I understand track spin and inaccurate speedos and all but the needle just kept going 100, 105, 110, 115, 120! and then i ran out of lake. I am looking for opinions on Viper vs. Vmax4 I love them both but can't race myself lol!

I have never owned either but have rode with both. My neighbor has exact same vmax4 and its quite entertaining every fall how he seems to forget every summer how hard it pulls. First month we have snow "man...that just hauls arse" Like he just bought sled, 5 years and counting now! Both running as they should on a long straight away I give the race to the vmax4....bumpy/twistys...viper, Primarily due to the "pro-action" skid being a HUGE improvement over the 96 and older vmax's.

Recently ran my Viper, sister-in-laws Viper, and brothers 750 vmax on the lake. We did like 20 drags 2 at a time. The Vipers went back and forth, mainly depended on the launch, the Vmax ran 2 or 3 times and won them all by multpile lengths.

acauto you can get alot of info on these sleds at vmax4.com
these are awsome sleds and alot of guys are still racing them today against the new stuff

I bought a 93 750 new. I dropped the bottom gear one tooth and man that thing has legs! My buddy has a pretty snarky Viper Mountain that absolutely leaps out front off the line. But the 750 reels him in each time.

vmax4 is a bad mamma jamma out on the lake...................................big block of 2 smoke snowmobile engines...... :sled2: :2strokes:

yamaha called me, their making a '' YAMMIE GOD 3:16 '' commemorative for 2015. WILL BE CALLED THE VMAX 4 WITH A 800,cc TWO STROKE TURBOCHARGED. 3:16 (yammie tony)

YAMMIEGOD3:16 said:
yamaha called me, their making a '' YAMMIE GOD 3:16 '' commemorative for 2015. WILL BE CALLED THE VMAX 4 WITH A 800,cc TWO STROKE TURBOCHARGED. 3:16 (yammie tony)

You're too old for that you'll kill yourself.......

:)

LMFAO T your to much>>>lol
if they call anything a vmax4 it has to be a 2 stroke or I give up and I will take one in blue for that I will put out the CASH

Last edited:
Stock Viper VS Vmax 4 isn't a fair fight on the lake.

You'll need an SRX or mods to the Viper to come close. Even then one must be careful as there is much room for inprovment on the 4 and if you run into one that's really dialed they are tough to beat even with a sled that has more displacement.

opsled

My impressions were right

I felt that if the race was long the Vmax would top end the Viper. I had an 02 SRX last year also that would top end my Viper. As an all around sled i love the Viper but I just couldn't pass up the Vamx4 for $700. I put a belt and new plugs and that was it before taking it out on the lake. I don't really care to make one of my Yamaha's faster than th others, I love them all. If you haven't noticed "my garage" includes an 80 SRX, an 87 Vmax 540, a 92 Vmax4 old pro stock sled needing to be re-assembled, my 94 vmax, an 04 venom for my son, an 03 vmax 600 for my daughter, an 88 Inviter for my youngest daughter, plus 3 Vipers.

What is your opinion on the Vamx 800's, are they different enough from the 750's to add to my collection? I probably will anyway LOL!

Yamaha Built The 750 Three Years, And The 800 Three Years. To Me, Opionion Only, Huge Difference. Right Off The Bat About 10 Horse, Better Pipes, Better Ing, And Better Clutches. I Still Race A 1995 Vmax 4 800. Setup Right, Wicked Fast. HAVE RUN A 5.88 IN 500 F.T. ON GRASS WITH MINE. NOT BAD FOR PROBLEY THE HEAVIEST SLED EVER BUILT 3:16 (yammie Tony)

I actually heard a rumor that YAMAHA has considered bringing back the V-Max-4 name in a genesis 4 stroke sled with BIG power. I read 200hp! That would be cool and would do the name justice. 2014 is the new Viper but the article said the home grown yammies get the changes in 2015. We will see. Ya gotta know that YAMAHA has something up their sleeve.

Back