2001 SRX 700 vs 2000 Thundercat 1000

Constip8r

Lifetime VIP Member
I want to start this thread out by saying I really upset. I thought it would have been way more of a challenge to beat such a big sled. but it was not even close...
the story start off with me and my buddy (guy on the 600 XCSP in my older thread) riding on Lake Catherine. and as I get by the bar called the Thirsty Turtle, i look to my left and see the thundercat. the owner started pointing at me so I turned around and started talking to the guy. I told him that i have never seen a thundercat in person, he went on saying how its bone stock and how he picked up that sled, another sled and a 2 place enclosed trailer for $1500. He offered to let me ride it. I didn't really want to because i feared something would break because it was an Arctic cat, so i took it for a ride anyway. and in all honesty.... i hated everything about the sled. It was too high up, the throttle response was slow, and it didn't pull like my SRX does. i didn't even make it down the lake all the way before i turned around. i asked him to race, he said no, that he is to old for that and so is his sled, so i kind of shrugged it off. so my buddy and I left down Lake Catherine and as we turn around he is booking down the lake. so i was like WTF... why is he blasting down the lake, if he is "too old?" so i followed him until he stopped, i pointed across the lake. so we lined up and shot off. I only saw him at the starting line, i looked back half way across the lake and noticed he was pretty far back, 6 maybe 7 sleds back. so we get to the other end, and race back. i finish, and i see him stopped in the middle of the lake. so i though " why am i not surprised that an Arctic Cat is down?" so i drive back and ask if his alright. his left side of his track blew out, and punctured his heat exchanger. so he had to limp it back. he left his snow flap out there so i snatched it up, and have it as a memento :D no one got hurt, (my buddy almost got hit in the head with a piece of track) and i'm wondering was that sled in bad shape and thats why i did really good? or was the 2000 year for that model slow?? I also Beat my bosses 700 arctic cat 2 up, some guys 700 ZL, a 700 xc, they thought i had motor work done :P :yam:
sorry for such a long post, thank for who ever takes the time to read this

you just ran into the average one. As with any sled, they are not too impressive when they arent set-up right. I've beaten dozens of the ones that guys just buy and think they are automatic winners. But I'll tell you the ones that are set up right by guys that know them are animals.

Last edited:
One of my riding buddys (fellow groomer/miss diggger) has an 01 or 02 TCAT 1000. He has it dialed in for grass drags and just dinks around in the winter with it. SCARED me for about 1000ft......then he would have ben in the rear veiw......if I had one! Being as my house is 1/4,3/4 or 1 1/4 from the trail(depending which trail) we often launch from here. I used to tease him he had to park acrossed the street. Now hes running a camoplast track and C&A skis so I dont mind those part on my property (evenif they are holding up artic crap parts)!

ok yea that makes sense, he did say he just picked it up, and I it is not was i'm expecting it to be. I guess i have to find something more taking a care of so it can be a challenge across the lake hahahha. :sled1: :sled1:

MORE I READ THIS, I THOUGHT YOU MIGHT BE GETTING SET-UP. TWO THINGS WERE THE OUTCOME, YOU WERE SET-UP OR THE THING BREAKS DOWN. THEIR VERY FAST IN THE RIGHT HANDS. 3:16 (yammie tony)

I don't consider myself as brand loyal as some others so I'm not gonna bash the cats. But, one thing about when you race another sled that ya meet up with on the trail, you really don't know anything about that sled or its rider. You could be racing anything from a part time racing sled to something that hasn't been ran in a few years that still has 3yr old gas in it.

There is really no way of knowing what the condition of the T-cat was. Maybe the previous owner didn't take care of it all that well. Hence the reason the guy was able to get the entire package so cheap.

I have ridden T-cats and power was one thing they weren't lacking. If this guy blows a track on one of his initial rides, sounds to me like that thing has some issues.

But, as they say, a win is a win.

well, i feel like this was a maintenance race then, i keep up on my sled very well, and I don't think his was too taken care of, i mean the outside looked spotless, he got it from an older gentleman. i forgot to mention that part. if it was owned by an older gentleman, it probably wasn't ridden to much

I have seen my local dealers SRX drag sled beat T-Cats on the track, same with his V-Max-4 when he had it. That said, if all things are equal there ain't no replacement for displacement!

got-wood said:
I have seen my local dealers SRX drag sled beat T-Cats on the track, same with his V-Max-4 when he had it. That said, if all things are equal there ain't no replacement for displacement!

yep, when all other variables are taken out of the equation, 170hp beats 140hp

lets put it this way the cat had maybe 1 length on me. (im the guy with the xc 600) and i was pushing 108ish on my speedo and he started to pull. and nate was just gone after 50 mph

Back