What Size Fasteners

gap599

Hi guys, I am in the process of placing my bolt/fastener order (I try to place one bulk order/yr to get better pricing). I would like to order an assortment of socket head cap screws to have on hand for my SRX.

I would like to have some extras on hand just in case I loose/break one when wrenching and I would also like to switch out as many of the phillips screws to socket heads as i can. I/m not near the sled, do you know what the most common sizes of fastenrs are? I'm guessing M4, M6, M8, M10 in a few different lengths would cover the majority if it?

Once again, thanks for the help.

I'd like to know also. The nuts that fasten the jugs/cylinders to the crank case, I can't find them anywhere. Fastenal didn't know what size and thread pitch they were. He said they seem to be M10 but nothing they had would thread correctly.

I believe most of the rear suspension bolts are m10 x 1.25 pitch in various lenghts obviously.Your correct in your assumption that those would be the most popular sizes but it's the thread pitch that will give you fits.So try to keep that in mind when your placing your order for bolts and have these pitches in hand when you do place an order.

The cylinder nuts are I believe M10 but the pitch escapes me,I think it's like a 1 pitch.I replaced mine a few years ago and got them at Canadian Tire,there's one that I frequent that has a pretty decent selection of bolts and nuts in various pitches.

What are you looking for something special or just want to replace with shinny new hardware if its a nut and bolt combo just use standard metric hardware nothing is going to look like what yamaha uses .

yeah, standard metric is fine for when its a nut/bolt combo, but i would like to have some proper socket head cap screws on hand for applications where the threads are in the part (i.e. exhaust header to jug) and also to swap out any philips head stuff.

The last guy that owned my sled must have used a worn out screwdriver to torque every philips head fastener as tight as possible, so I keep coming across philips fasteners with stripped heads that are a bitch to get out. I would like to swap out all the philips stuff for socket heads.

The first time I pulled the carbs off, the philips screws that hold the float bowls on were so tight/worn that I had to use I screw extractor on 4 out of 12 of em!

carb bolts should be standard metric there not yamaha there mikuni.m4x.7 I think is the size.you might find that the all the philips screws are standard. parts that were made for yamaha by a outside venders most likely used standard metric hardware

Last edited:
To help you might want to buy yourself a metric thread gauge and go through whatever fasteners you want to replace and mark down what size and thread pitch they are.The majority of the thread pitches you'll encounter will be 1.25,1 and .7.

And when you buy your new fasteners do yourself a favor and buy stainless,trust me you'll enjoy not only the look of them over the factory plated ones but no rust stains again.

Back