Clutch puller problem

JSTYER

Well, I tried pulling my clutch off my 02 SRX tonight with a Yamaha puller and a lot of grease and I couldn't get er to pop. I got the puller out and the tip was all bent up, now I can't the clutch bolt to thread in the clutch. Any ideas? Going to have to get the clutch off somehow and retap is what I'm thinking.

The grease trick usually works. Man its tuff to curly fry a OEM puller. Get a new one, tip the sled enough to fill with hydrolic oil. Wrap the puller in Teflon tape, and a ton of it. You don't want it to leak out. Try it again, if it don't work this time you may need to use a impact wrench with grease or oil. Not the best on the crank end and parts but the most effective. Also the crank end will be a standard 1/2 inch tap if I remember right. Odd I know but that's what it is.

Last edited:
I used boiling water on the clutch first. Nothing else worked for me. Got to heat it up first.

Yeah I tapped it a few times, Thanks for the tips, going to Hauck's today get a new puller, hope to get it off. Think I messed up the threads?

you have to once in a while clean the crankshaft end and the inside of the clutch.It will get rusted in there.Use a green scrub pad and wd-40 and clean it good on both ends.I never have a problem then removing the clutch,actually pops off pretty easily with a little force .

Last edited:
Well I got a new puller ordered, Haucks didn't have one, going to try it again on Friday. Hope to get it off, Think my threads are messed up, I can't thread the clutch bolt in

try and fine a tap. that will clean up those hurt threads. pack your shaft with grease, wrap it hard with a good impact, it will pop. 3:16 (yammie tony)

Well I got the new puller and was able to get the clutch popped off, now onto the threads.
Just the first few threads are worn can't get clutch bolt to thread in. What size tap do I have to look for and thread style? I never messed with a tap and die set before so new to me.

I had the same thing happen a few years ago, I just took the bolt down to car quest and they found me the right tap. The tap I used is marked....1/2-20 UNF.

Last edited:
I don't use clutch pullers anymore. I have 3" bolts that are the proper puller thread. I tip the sled on it's side, poor hot water down the hole. The I take the bolt with the proper thread, wrapped in thread tape and thread it in. I haven't met a clutch yet that this didn't work on and I have dealt with some pretty nasty old seized up junk! The best part of using this method is that there is no greasy mess to deal with. It's just water!

Had this happen to me last year. Ended up using a tap and cleaning up the threads. I ended up getting a newer puller from my local Yamaha dealer. Seems to be a little stronger than the parts unlimited ones you get.

Last edited:
i have shown the water trick to many amazed nay sayers. by far better way than grease.

save yourself some time. the easy ones will come off with cold water. hot water for the stubborn ones.

I got the tap started, seem to fix the few bad threads but my bolt won't thread past the new ones. Do I just keep using the tap back and forth the hole length of the threads?
Is there a good way from keeping the crank from moving while turning tap?

it shoudnt be that hard to tap them.... did you make sure the tap wasn't cross threaded? it should only of been hard to clean the first few threads then easy. by the sounds of it you have cross threaded the tap and may have done some real damage. not trying to scare you.

Last edited:

Back