Summer Project Contest - The snake goes mono

I think Im leaning toward red rails. I think it will look good with the steel and rails red because everything else is black, wheels, slides, rubber, etc. going to look REAL nice with a yellow ohlins spring peaking out too. :)

Question for all you mono / apex experts. I have read on the 4 stroke side about the aftermarket offsets you can get for the idler wheels. The skid im using came with them already. It also has the stock idler mounts. Id like to keep the offset ones on so I can extend my slider life. But should i be worried about bending a rail? im not sure how common it is to bend them?

Project looks great, nice work so far. If you need any help with the skid or nytro tail light let me know, I have done both.

Man Jason that skid looks awesome. I really like the red rails. Its not too much red for sure. You got to remember on a viper the skid will be mostly up in the tunnel. So with the black slides, track and boggies it will set it off nicley! Great job so far. That would look really nice against a black tunnel! Food for thought? Looking good!

So my install is coming along. One issue Im having is the attack skid is different than the apex skid in a few ways. One is the rear upper idlers are set further back in the attack than the apex. This is to help keep the track off of the shock mount. Does anyone have that dimension? How should I mount that on the viper? Do I need the attack brackets for that as well? The green arrow is where the apex mounts (both for the skid and the idlers). The red arrow is where the attack idlers mount (shown in pic).

On mine I'm going to move the idlers to the skid mount location like on the short track sleds. Betheviper suggested doing it and there's another mono install here that the member did it this way. I just can't remember who it was as I'd like to ask them how it worked out. Betheviper suggested moving the mounting locations back 1/2 an inch or so to make up the track tension but the one that was done before I believe used the stock locations. I think I'm going to move mine back.

It was me who moved the wheel mount and so far it's worked out fine. What you have to do is use the rear shaft out of a proaction skid and cut down the mono skid arm so that the steps of the proaction shaft are right at the edge. This will give you clearance to mount the wheels and you will also need to used the proaction spacers that go on the end of the shaft that but up against the tunnel. I will try to dig up my thread on it so you can see how it turned out.

Back