Summer Project Contest - The snake goes mono

Im guessing that measurement is not extremely critical (within a 1/4"). I have a friend that has an attack i can get it off of. I'll just measure the outside bolt heads and not go through taking the skid out.

let me know what you get for measures. After looking at the pics of musselman's it looks like it puts quite a bit more radius in the track around the rear wheels. I might use the shaft now too.

let me know what you get for measures. After looking at the pics of musselman's it looks like it puts quite a bit more radius in the track around the rear wheels. I might use the shaft now too.

That was the biggest reason i wanted to keep the shaft. It will help keep the track closer to a circle (less resistance). The other was teh nice powder coating that I have and dont want to mess up. it looks like Im going to need brackets to mount it to as well because there isnt any tunnel to mount to where it will end up. I will probably look at my friends and make my own.

Bas A$$!!! The red sets it off, Looks like it fit in there just fine. Make sure you include all the info for the 136" install, would help out others im sure.

looks good. I'd like to know the measures you used for the rear idlers.

Yeah sorry. Just "finished it" last night. There are a few things I ran into doing this but it all worked out in the end real well. I am going to go out for a test run this afternoon to make sure it rides good and stays together. :) I measured off of an attack and the holes were 7-7/8" apart. the angle difference on the running boards were 4 degrees different with the viper being steeper. that would put the bold hole higher on the viper than the apex. it didn't matter though because there is still plenty of room for track clearance. I just went with the 7-7/8" and measured off of the bottom of the cooler on the inside. It was 1-1/2" up on the existing hole so I matched that. I had a machinist friend make a new shaft out of aluminum so I didn't have to use the heavy proaction one (4lbs lighter). he also made 2 bushings to sit on the outside of the rear mounting point to match the attack width. I will go into much more detail with my write up when I get time. If you need more info sooner to get your project done, send me a pm with your number and ill give you a call.

Ok...
It time for the write up I guess. I need to start by saying I used 03viperguy's write up as a starting point. I used his template for the mounting points which are the same on the attack (136) as they are on the apex (121) with the exception of the rear upper idler shaft. that gets mounted 7-7/8" back from the original hole that is reused for the new one as well. I used the apex reinforcement brackets and cut them to fit nicely in the tunnel.

i then marked the outline and removed all the rivets that were in the way. i drilled the main hole first and put the bolt in tight so i knew where to drill all the new rivet holes. I drilled as much as i could from the inside to keep the metal chips from getting in the engine area via the running board. Added all the rivets and removed the bolt. I then took measurements off of an attack to find the rear shaft location on made a small aluminum reinforcement bracket and riveted it on. I also had a friend make a couple items for me. A new idler shaft ( you can use the one from the proaction skid but it is steel and not painted), and 2 spacers. the spacers are needed because the attack's skid is mounted to drop brackets from the factory and they are more narrow than the tunnel. I cant remember exactly what size they were. i can dig it out though...

It is basically the same as the regular mono with a few changes. That is the quick and dirty. Ill edit it as i get more time. I think if i were to do it again, i might look into using the attack drop brackets to get a little more aggressive look. im not sure if they would work or not. Might be worth a look...

Last edited:
It also has the Ohlins EC shock too. BIG thanks to Boomer for selling me his controller and giving me pointers on the install. Bjowett on the 4stroke side rebuilt it as well. Pulled power off of the brown wire on the key switch. it is hot only when the key is on.

Man Jason that's one bad a$$ looking viper! Makes me want to mono mine!

Its not real hard Chris. I can walk you through it real easy. Good summer project. I found the skid for $100. Came with the EC shock too! Bought the second EC shock for $75 from the same guy. That helped fund the rest! :) I've got a few bucks in it, but it should be worth it when it comes to rough trails... (or just to look at) LOL!!!

That is a steal for a mono! And it is a pretty straight forward install, but you made it look GOOD lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Back