Winter tire reviews

I just put falken wildpeak at' s on the wife's 4runner. Mighty aggressive and they are a quiet all terrain tire.

I have Nokian's on 2 SUV's WR Plus which are good and WRG2 which are a newer multi thread on the carcass. I've not been happen with them at all. They don't wear right and go real noisy on my new Jeep Compass. I rebuilt the front end and rotated them and no improvement. Customer service in Canada is non existent . They don't appear to have an office at all just online site and only answer emails they want to. They are all expensive tires and as such I expected a lot more. I'll be looking at other tires for two vehicles soon and it won't be Nokian this time.

Never heard of it. How does it work?
It is an internal way of keeping the tire in constant balance. What happens is that the COUNTERACT(beads) is placed inside the tire. Either before mounting or through the valve stem(core removed temporarily). Centrifugal force slings the beads out to the places that are out of balance. What I did was to balance like normal AND put the counteract inside after they were balanced. The Cooper M & S tires are quieter than my Cooper ATRs (w/o Counteract) that I run in the summer.
Rule of thumb is 1 oz for every ten pounds of tire. So let's use the good 'ol standby for trucks....a GY WRANGLER RADIAL which weighs 28 or 29 lbs. In this case I'd put 3 ounces in each tire...through the valve stem, after it was balanced conventionally. One doesn't have to conventionally balance the tires but I have read reports that says that the ride is much improved doing it both ways.

Last edited:
Ended up w/ Cooper M & S on the Sonoma. 19/32nds tread !!

You should be happy with those. They run pretty quite/smooth with out the internal balance as well. I have run numerous sets of them. Work very well on everything from a Lumina, Cavalier, Intrepid (front wheel drive cars) a 00 Grand Cherokee (my daughters ride) a full size Bronco and a 3/4 Chevy pick up. A "generic" version is the Falls Winter master. I was happier with them on vehicles that didn't need the heavier weight rating (3/4 truck) Make sure you take them off ASAP in the spring as dry pavement will EAT THEM UP QUICK!

The Blizzak's work great! Her car doesn't have ABS so I was particularly looking for more stopping power. My cousin likes the General's a lot, they're probably a better value.

I have been running good year distracts on my f350 diesel and love them. I have put them through everything and they pull my truck through. 15,000 or more on the trailer behind me and they haul me through mud or snow.

The wife was ecstatic about her new falken wildpeak at in 265/70 r17 on her v8 4runner. We had 6" of Snow last night and they really impressed her. Meaty and aggressive, yet ride nice and quiet in the highway, plus 50k mileage rating. http://www.1010tires.com/Tires/Reviews/Falken/WildPeak+A-T

Tire rack doesn't sell this brand. But the review are very good, many guys saying the are better than bfg at ko's. I've had those bfgs on my lifted grand Cherokee, but i will see how the are for myself soon, except the 4 runner is a bit different the zj.

Back