Winter tire reviews

A couple of bucks

VIP Member
Let me,,,,and everyone else, know what to look at and to stay away from. I'd like some Haks, but there aren't any dealers close. Looking for the Sonomma. 235 75 15s
Let us know likes, dislikes and squisheeness on dry roads.

I've had a good luck with the Cooper Discoverer tires. I used to always run the BFG AT's, I switched over to the coopers because of the price and they actually seem to perform much better than the BFG's. Great traction for all conditions, and seem to wear well too.

I guess you don't have Nokian tires over there? They always seem to be good.

Cooper x 5. Got 'em on 5 vehicles. CTS4 Touring on mommas Journey and daughters Neon. Discoverer HT Plus on my Ram, Suburban, and Escalade EXT. Great tires in all conditions, especially good in snow. Was pushing 2-3 ft drifts in the AWD Journey last winter. Yr. before, she got stuck in the driveway with the stock Kumho's

A couple of bucks said:
We do- but not close to me. I'd love to get a set of Hakkapiletas Rs. Those are at the top of my list.
Hakkapelitta is awesome, I've had that and will buy a new set of those soon!

For a strictly highway tire I have found the Goodyear Fortera to be very good i all conditions. I found the Forteras considerably better then various Cooper tires in snow. I have tried many other tires through the years. For off-road, it is another story.

I have General altimax arctic on both cars, excellent traction and very well priced. looking for car or truck?

The Firestone winter force snow tires are hard to beat for the price. I ran them on my Audi and my dad runs them on his. I know, I know, all wheel drive can make bologna skins feel like good winter tires. But they do very very well with braking and steering in all snow conditions which is what matters anyways. My car was lowered (sat about 4 inches off the ground) but it would still power right through snow banks crossing intersections from a dead stop after the plow went by. I have 33/12.50 Good Year Wrangler Duratracs on my Ranger and rarely need 4wd in the winter, even with such a wide tire on a very light truck.

Blizzaks are phenominal! Not cheap but they work excellent for winter use only. I have had them on many vehicles over the years and currently have them on the following: 2012 Taurus, 2011 Cruze and my son's 1999 Acura CL.

Not faimilar with that particular snow tire but Nitto is pretty popular in the off road scene. I have had 2 sets of mud grapplers....Work great for intended purpose and lasted decently running on pavement

Back