This will be fun to tow with Jeep Patriot

Cwagner100

Anyone tow a 2 place trailer loaded with one of those new Jeep patriots?? I've got 4x4 one with a 5 spd. Getting the tow pkg put on next week. Give it a try. Trying to just have one vehicle for everything instead having 2.

Not sure about the towing capacity on a Jeep Patriot, but I pull a double place trailer with my 03' explorer and it tows fine, turn o/d off and cruise at 65-70mph all day long.
Now if by 5 spd you mean a manual, just be careful on take offs, towing a large load with a normal duty manual transmission can spell disaster for your clutch.

Never towed anything with a Patriot. However, I have towed a two place trailer with Quads with a CJ 7 to Silver lake a time or two. No issues at all. I would suspect the weight to be about the same. Braking in the winter can be a little "icy" no pun intended. Maybe you can check out and put some electric brakes on the trailer. Easy install, much more confident about stopping also. Al

How did it tow? Guys comparing an explorer and a cj7 to a patriot is a big difference. The patriot is fwd based, and unibody. The explorer is a much bigger vehicle (body on frame as well)and can easily tow 5000 lbs, my parents have an 02, v8 explorer, and it pulls my ski nautique ski boat very well. A cj 7, while body on frame too, have horribly low tow ratings, mostly due to the short wheelbase. The only wranglers that are rated to tow a decent amount are the 4 door ones. 1500 lbs is what the 2 door wranglers are typically are rated for. I towed the same boat with a 2001 wrangler 4.0 5 SPD stick, and it works OK, but in strong wind, or freeway speeds I would consider that a dangerous tow rig. Unibody vehicles can tow fine, my grand Cherokee I used to have tower that same boat great, and the 2 pace trailers with 2 sled was way easier than that boat. That said, I've towed our 2 place trailer loaded with the old 96 fwd Taurus. That works, but was under powered and used a lot of gas on a vehicle that got 30 mpg from its 3 liter v6.

Back