Wiring in new load control relay kit

fourbarrel

VIP Lifetime Member
Ok I bought one of the now discontinued kits for the faulty load control relays on the 00-02 SRX's off eBay but I never got any instructions with it,everything else was in the box but no paperwork.Now I assume that one end of the wire harness plugs into the existing load control relay plug,the other end into the new relay and the last 2 into the condensers,correct? Looking at it I would say that's about the only way it can go but I want to be 100% positive here.

And speaking of this kit I had been pricing a new relay itself before I found this on eBay;how is it that an update kit like this is cheaper than a replacement original part?I had prices from my local dealer and it lists for like $65 Canadian but I saw prices online for about half that.I got this kit for around $12 US !!!!! And apparently that was around the going price when they were offered originally.

The sled would not start right up properly,when I pulled the cord it would stumble and then stall like you hit the kill switch and from the replies I got on my thread about this issue it was generally accepted that the load control relay was bad.This is a fairly common fault I guess and Yamaha offered this update kit including a new wiring harness section and relay.

I to am wondering? I have an 01 srx 10,000 original trouble free miles but one of my headlight bulb plugs melted and took out plug off harness and bulbs melted? Not sure why?

heres what i have for directions. i will skip the parts about accessing the instrument panel, removing the bar pad, reassembling, etc.

disconnect the high/low beam switch three pin coupler(yellow/green/blue wires in switch side; green/blue-white or green/blue wires in main harness side).

install the new sub-harness assembly in-line between the two high/low beam switch couplers.

route sub-harness assembly along the left side of the steering gate using the existing plastic wire bands to secure it.

remove the existing unit headlight relay(blue color). connect the new sub-harness at the headlight relay coupler. then, connect the new relay to the new sub-lead.

yamaha part number 90891-50137-00-00. headlight relay kit

Cool ,thanks snowdad.

Racer I'm wondering if you might have a bad connection at that particular headlight connector causing it to arc and heat up? I'd almost suggest the regulator but if only one connector melted then perhaps it's not that.

this from a tech bulletin:

2001 srx700f, sx700f, mm700f: engine drops rpm or shuts off when first starting.

problem: (1) when the headlight switch is in the low beam position, the engine will start but then quickly shut off. the engine will not stay running unless the headlight switch is put into high beam position when starting.

(2)the engine will momentarily drop rpm and sometimes shut off once during the first start up. when restarted, the symptom is gone, and the unit will start and run normally.

cause: when the load control relay engages at 700 rpm, it can cause a momentary loss of spark due to low ignition system voltage.

remedy: if either symptom presents itself, replace the headlight relay with the headlight relay kit designed to reduce current draw during start up.

Snowdad4 I have read those directions about 4 times now and I'm wondering if I am missing something in the kit I bought.Is there supposed to be 2 sub harnesses?It sounds like there's one that wires in between the hi/lo switch connectors and one in place at the relay.All I've got is one sub harness with 4 connectors on it and 1 relay.The connectors look to me like they plug in at the relay location,2 going to the condensers,one to the sleds wiring harness and one for the new relay.

without tearing my sled apart, this is what i can see (looked at it about 4 times):

appears to be one harness with 4 connectors and should be color coded, or at least plug fitting oriented(male/female). one end of the sub harness plugs in at the h/l switch plug and the other plug on the same end of the sub harness plugs back into the main harness where the switch wires were. in essence sort of "jumping" between the 2 existing plugs.

at the relay end, when you unplug the existing relay, one end of the sub harness plugs into the plug that used to plug into the relay and the other should have the new relay attached. i think i may have just confused myself. too bad i am photo illiterate.

it was basically a plug and play as i recall it.

Ok the two ends that look like they go to the condensers must be the ones that go in line with the hi lo switch.The other 2 ends are really straight forward,one to the relay and the other to the wiring harness.

Thanks again.

Back