Fouling plugs

Hammer Down

Cleaned the carbs, new fuel lines, drained tank and fresh no ethanol fuel. It's fouling plugs. Different one every time. Sometimes two. It's 98 700. Br9es plugs. Stock everything. Oil cable at 20mm. Idle at 1700. Throttle play at 2mm. Any ideas.? Put new plugs in runs superb. Let it sit overnight and it fouled center cylinder. When I let it sit second night it fouled first cylinder.

Have you tried replacing the spark plug caps? Many have had the same issues and this sometimes solves the problem.

SRX-SKI said:
Have you tried replacing the spark plug caps? Many have had the same issues and this sometimes solves the problem.
Nope. Anyone have plug caps for sale?

Get yourself an ohm meter and check the caps,they should be 5000 ohms (5 K ohms).You don't need a $300 Fluke meter either just a decent quality one.

Also you said you cleaned the carbs but you might want to check and make sure the needles are seating and not letting gas into the base when sitting,this might also explain the fouling.

I'm guessing this is on a SRX? Don't these require BR9ECS?

Also agree with everything said above.

original plugs were br9ecs, I believe...c stands for low angle ground electrode....doubt it makes a difference????

br9es don't keep the same resistance when they heat up or something and can cause detonation. i think the c means they will hold there resistance values as they heat up, for the fouling of the plugs, are you just idling it in the garage or actually ridding it? with the warm fall temps, it makes it run rich, and 2 strokes dont really get hot enough at idle to keep the plugs clean, that plus the rich mix might by why they are fouling.

Last edited:
As some else posted definitely check the needle and seat. If you start it and it runs good, but it fouls a plug the next day it might be leaking gas into the cylinder and fouling the engine. I had a sled do this before. If you don't want to pull the carbs you could put in a fuel shut off in and turn the fuel off when your done running it. Then turn on the gas and try starting it the next day. If it starts and runs without fouling you'll now the needle and seats need cleaning or replacing if their worn.

superfan75 said:
As some else posted definitely check the needle and seat. If you start it and it runs good, but it fouls a plug the next day it might be leaking gas into the cylinder and fouling the engine. I had a sled do this before. If you don't want to pull the carbs you could put in a fuel shut off in and turn the fuel off when your done running it. Then turn on the gas and try starting it the next day. If it starts and runs without fouling you'll now the needle and seats need cleaning or replacing if their worn.
One of the floats was stuck, I had to yank the needle out. The carbs were dirty, all pilots were clogged also. The previous owner said it fouled plugs a lot too. I assumed it was dirty carbs though. I am just idling it in the garage but none of my other sleds foul plugs. Btw, on the clutch cover it says to use br10es plugs?

I believe Mrviper posted this info here recently. 98 originally came with br10es but was updated to br9es due to fouling issues. In 2000 they went to br9ecs and recommended that for the 98-99s as well.

staggs65 said:
I believe Mrviper posted this info here recently. 98 originally came with br10es but was updated to br9es due to fouling issues. In 2000 they went to br9ecs and recommended that for the 98-99s as well.
Alright, I will switch to br9ecs, then wires, then needles if the plugs don't work. Thanks for help everyone. I also read an older post about br9eya plugs.??

Last edited:
bluemonster1 said:
with br9es for the SRX..just don't pin it to long..kaBOOM!!!!

I have the br9es in mine, and mine runs great at high speeds. I dont fine tune my sled though, so I'm not sure what he does or how he has it set up...

Back