Finally my viper build

yammitrip1

So me an my brother SnoProkidf6 on here bought similar vipers about 2 years ago, He went right to town on building his, i did some minor mods to mine an tried pipes an such, pipes are a terrible idea and make the fuel mileage horrendous. Finally i am getting around to building this thing because i rode it for 2 years, i kinda screwed some things up on it, i am 250 pounds an the stock running boards, an suspension dont like me at all, especially when i jump the sled an try to keep up with my buddies riding revs,xp, dragons, an every other sled under the sun that ride way better. So i figured i had to make some changes around here.

This is my stock viper sitting next to my brothers

Attachments

• stock viper.jpg
    stock viper.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 34

So i kept telling my brother i was gonna do this an that an this an finally brought it in the garage an started doing some work

Pulled the skid an the front w arm was all good, very surprised, but the bump stops to where you bottom out were broke, an one of my rails was cracked....

IMG_20131123_141536786_HDR.jpgIMG_20131123_141528456.jpg

All my parts front end parts were pretty rusty from going in the gigga weeds so much, i took the whole front apart an re painted it, replaced some bushings, and put some my c and A's back on, got rid of the chrome an added a blue cobra windshield also.
IMG_20131201_120347152.jpg

Got a new tripple rate spring set up on my shocks, These came from excell motor sports in center/ upstate new york area
IMG_20131201_120354380.jpg

Stock handle bar set up had to 2 go so i took a stock polaris 7 inch riser, cut the innards out of it, an cut a stock piece of handle bar form a viper, put it in the post and clamped the polaris risers on, added some straight fly bars.
IMG_20131201_120402626.jpg

Font end is done, need to do something with the running boards, they had a nice bow to them an i know if i didnt do anything with them then i would break a cooler an that wouldnt be fun what so ever. So my buddy had a wrecked rev sitting around, snagged the aluminum braces off the running boards before he scrapped it for aluminum, an my brother went to the local sled salvage shop an found me some aluminum running board grips that slide of the rolled part of the running board, i think they are orginally for a polaris of some sort

IMG_20131126_181326297.jpgIMG_20131126_181336242.jpgIMG_20131201_120406708.jpg

Looking forward to the build. Ive followed your brothers and liked how his sled turned out. Is it safe to say there will be some competition between brothers this season?

The front is done, the running boards are straight again and stiffer then ever, even with my 230 pound rear end on it, they dont really move that much at all. Now its time for this suspension, I picked up a 2002 edge x skid, came with fox clicker shock in the rear and a ryde fx in the front. Both need rebuilt an one needs a shaft, every bogie wheel bearing was shot, have them ordered an soon to be here, needs slides an i painted the yellow torque arms to black. Used jb shocks install measurements and tweaked them a bit to lower the skid on the chassis an move it back a hair, i work a junk yard, so i picked up a small sheet of 1/8 thick of stainless steel an made new mounting plates for the front. Worked out perfect because it took up that small amount of area from the edge suspension being thinner then the no action. But i got it in after a few hours, Put it in with no shocks or springs to make sure it doesn't bind any where an works good.

IMG_20131201_150145146.jpg
IMG_20131201_150207827_HDR.jpg
An this is the way it sits as of now, still needs spings, shocks, and bogie wheels installed, again i only install the skid to make sure the mounting holes are good an the skid does not bind any where.

More to come, new clutch , heel clickers and a new seat if i can get it to work haha

Here is a picture of my brothers(snoprokidf6) sled for you fellas, givin yea a sneak peak before he posts it on his viper build thread haha
IMG_20131201_120412567.jpg

Looking forward to the build. Ive followed your brothers and liked how his sled turned out. Is it safe to say there will be some competition between brothers this season?

haha oo yea their will be some competition, my viper has always beat my brothers in a race,i mean always, well last season after he had the bender 4x4 pipe, bender can an heel clickers, cobra track he beat me an i was angry, so i am gonna order me some heel clickers an show him up again, i losted to him with stock weights, different helix an gearing an ripsaw. gonna be real tuff this year though.

Stagg this was over a course of 2 weeks lol, i been snapping new photos left an right, just got my first smart phone an the thing is awesome! but hopefully it will be done in the next couple of weeks, Is there any way to move this thread to working log? I didnt realize i posted in build section.

"Used jb shocks install measurements and tweaked them a bit to lower the skid on the chassis an move it back a hair." Could you tell me exactly how you "tweaked" them? I have same skid that im installing in my sled and im gona be using 8t drivers.

Stagg this was over a course of 2 weeks lol, i been snapping new photos left an right, just got my first smart phone an the thing is awesome! but hopefully it will be done in the next couple of weeks, Is there any way to move this thread to working log? I didnt realize i posted in build section.

LOL, yeah I realize you didn't do it all in an hour, was just joking.

I'll move it to the working log for you.

"Used jb shocks install measurements and tweaked them a bit to lower the skid on the chassis an move it back a hair." Could you tell me exactly how you "tweaked" them? I have same skid that im installing in my sled and im gona be using 8t drivers.

When you use a prox, edge or any other polaris skid, i figure out that if you use jb shocks measurements, which do work, every dang time the rails will hit the 8 tooth cogs. I will take a picture of my tunnel an show you the amount of holes i drilled to get the thing to work properly. Like the tip of the rails will come in contact with the lugs on the anti ratchet of the driver, so to defeat this problem you have to move the skid back, i mearsure back 9 inches instead of 8 an 5/16 (or something around that measurement like jb shocks suggest. Then i also moved the skid down 6 inches in stead of the suggested 5 3/8 and 5 5/16 or something close to that, because i really really did not like how close the running boards were to the ground when bottomed out, i mean with the standard jb shock measurement, you would hit the running boards before you actually fully used the whole travel of the skid.

my attempt at the install. thought I would post it here. I cut out a template based off of your measurements and it worked out good.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 31
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 31
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 25
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 25
  • photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 29
  • edge install bracket.jpg
    edge install bracket.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 28
let me know how it goes, your wholes look just about the same exact spot as mine, looks good, should have good amount of travel. Just take your skid with out shocks an springs, bolt it up in their and make it go through all of the cycles to make sure 100 percent it is not binding anywhere. Very cheap insurance but i like your work. Unfortunately i am still waiting on jbshocks to get my shocks done very very very impatiently. We have snow and the man told me it would only take a few days..................going on 2 weeks. I will have good updates hopefully shortly for you guys. Devin what did you end up doing for measurements?

Love the stainless plating, Literally looks exactly like mine! Haha and it works perfect like that because its just enough to take up that little bit of the narrowness of the from H arm on the edge skid!

just letting you know (and anyone interested) that your measurements worked out perfect. suspension is 10x better than long-travel proaction. lots of weight transfer and perfect amount of ski pressure for my sled.

Attachments

• vmax edge suspension.jpg
    vmax edge suspension.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 56

Back