Field Bomber Phazer II

curtissalcorn

Hey guys, new to the board. Thought I'd post my progress on my Phazer II here.

Picked this up about a month ago, it's a Phazer II of unknown year and random goodies keep popping up the further I dig into it. I know it's not modern, but I'm trying to make something fun for around here. I don't go to Golden or Revvy, obviously, but I want to make something that can handle going out into the bush and be fun. Any ways, back to the sled.
1422489_10201428450845750_287694851_n.jpg
I have no clue what machine donated the tunnel, the skid appears to be the stock Phazer unit. It has a 144(?) x 15 x 2.5 track, plastic skis, aluminum scissors on the pogo sticks. Drop brackets look pretty sketchy, I'll likely add some gussets to the sides of each of them to reduce flex.

Went to do the routine check-up on it, found this.
1441579_10201492403764533_138904526_n.jpg
Great, whoever was in there last, mangled the one carb. Had dents on the front of the butterfly. Sled wreckers here wanted $150 for a crude example of a stock replacement... Wasn't going to happen... So, I did the right thing and bought myself these.
1471750_10201614090006613_1703189077_n.jpg
Vmax 600 38mm flat slides. A little bit of an upgrade over the goofy butterfly rack that Yamaha installed for unknown reasons. Now I won't have the famous mid range burndown! Or at least I hope. Got them off ePrey for $140, with all cables.

Then I got bored after a power supply to my fuse panel on my 240SX decided to break, so this is what happened.
1462967_10201663325477469_392483263_n.jpg
Won't be seen again, and will just get dirty after a few rides. Whatever, it was productive.

Sled is piped, had a goofy intake on it made from misc plumbing aisle stuff, which won't be reused.

I have yet to install the carbs, I've been trying to dig up what the ballpark of jets should be, and what I can nab a throttle cable off of, as I have a 6" riser and the Vmax cable isn't long enough. Can anyone shed some light on this situation? I'm also looking for some pics of what people are using for airboxes with this swap.

Last edited:

Awesome, just love these kind of builds! I'm NO expert but here goes, stock Phazer butterfly carb calls for 148.3 main jet so with the flatslides I would go 150 main jet, needle clip in position #4 with washers underneath, check pistons and plugs as you go...better to go rich and work backwards! Keep us posted as you go!

Stock was 143.5 on the main, I'm going to try a 147.5. I'm at 3400ft elevation. The part I'm having trouble with is the pilot jet. The guy I'm going through for parts can only find up to a 65 pilot. What would you recommend? Stock is a 95 on the butterfly, but the operation of the two styles are completely different.
1528472_10201688601869363_1623998003_n.jpg
Got some polishing done last night, starting to look better.
Going to match the color scheme of the engine bay of my 300ZX, Toyota red pearl and matte black with tons of polished aluminum. Should look pretty sweet in the end.
616707_3838315468932_2140190088_o.jpg

Sweet ride! Sorry, my bad, had the numbers backwards, should be 143.8 for the mains (stock). I totally agree that these are 2 different styles completely, plus 1 motor being liquid cooled and the other air cooled. For the butterfly carbs there is no easy mid-range tuning available hence the extremely large pilot to compensate. I assume that's the reason so many started using the flat or round slides to be able to tune the midrange through jet needle clip position. I would try what's stock in your carbs for the pilots and see how the motor runs. Pilots, plus slide cutaway, plus air screw setting all influence idle / 1/4 throttle driveability. The pilot provides approx. 3-5% of the total fuel flow throughout the throttle movement so it is important.

Cool sled, working on something similar myself later this winter. 65 is a huge pilot, no need to worry about that not being enough. I wouldn't even give you a starting point on the pilot as it would just be a guess but I doubt you'd end up any where near that 65

I'm not even going to bother trying what was in the butterflies... 105 is going to be bog city haha. I think I'll try the Vmax's stock 52.5 pilots, see what happens. It'll likely be rich, but there's no harm in being rich with premix.

i think it will be fine with the stock pilots as like you mentioned those carbs operate completely differnt. I have ran vmax 600 carbs on a phazer before and the pilots,neddle settings were fine on it, just changed the mains to 147.5's and away it went, zero issues. I am at 1000-12ft elevation so your not going to be that much differnt, I would think the 52.5's would be fine.

Cool, I think I have that part down! Now to figure out what to do about a throttle cable. I think I may have figured out what I will do for an intake. The stator side carb is going to be a pain with how close the steering shaft is, so I'm going to use some of the hose that it had before. It's coiled wire/spring/crap with plastic moulded into it, like they used for snorkels on early 442 W30's with bumper scoops. It slides onto the carbs perfectly. Its not the greatest, but it should work. I'll route it up through the cowl, with Uni filters on top and a rear facing scoop like the bender cold air.

I'm new to the forum and forums in general, but I have a 91phazer II and I think powermadd has super easy throttle extension kits just for these situations. Love the sled was thinkin along they same lines for mine. Hope that helps

I'll probably make my own cable. I grabbed a length of bicycle brake cable that I'll practice with, until my order of actual cable comes in. Luckily its just a single cable, nothing fancy about it. I'll just recyle thes of the stock vmax cables.

Made the throttle cable it came with work.

Got it all together, and I must say, I LOVE it! It's been above freezing here the last week, so the snow is crap, but I was expecting a lot less. Didn't ride it much, still have to do plug chops tomorrow and do some more tuning when it's around -10, not +10. Has no issue lifting the front up, doesn't feel nose heavy like we thought. The DG pipe is not what everyone made it out to be, I didn't notice any lack of bottom end. Sounds mean too. Overall, I am more than happy with things. I don't think I could have a better sled for what I'm into it for. Going to finish up with my cousins stock '90 Phazer and see how they compare to each other.

1560605_10201934482776232_2095299020_n.jpg
Still have some more work cut out for me, gotta make it look good and fix a crack in the hood. Going to put some pod filters on it and some other random little bits.

Cool sled, I have some side panels and a hood from an 87 phazer, I think they would fit.
They are in great shape, if interested pm me your email. They are the orange stickers on black paint.

Sorry guys, not interested in buying any panels. The one crack in the middle of the hood, I can easily repair. I'll be painting everything this summer, so I'm not worried. Thanks for the heads up!

Finally got some time off work to do some tuning. Did plug chops today, and I should probably wear and adult diaper next time around. Skipping across the snow that turned into white-caps made of ice at 60mph was interesting! Couldn't get the full half mile for plug chops, could only squeeze about 1/4 mile comfortably, being that I'd likely hit the shop or a fence, or go waaaay too fast for the conditions.
I've had some people message me for some jetting, and this is what I have, *so far*
3500' elevation
DG pipe with the previous owners great idea of replacing the silencer with a straight chunk of pipe
150 mains
Stock clip location on needle jets
52.5 pilots (I think, whatever came in the carbs)
Premix to 32:1

Plug chop results
1655957_10202002904166724_631989820_n.jpg
Thin ring around the base, nice mocha brown. If anyone has any input to regards of the plugs, post em up! This is my first attempt at doing chops.

Totally forgot about this thread, but ended up finishing the sled. Hood cable got caught in the secondary clutch trying to keep up with a couple of Etec 800 Summits. Shredded the corners of the hood where the cable attached to it. A few hours (over the course of two years..) and I got it all fixed up with some fiberglass and repaired a few other blemishes in the hood and plastics. Ended up painting it with some GM white Endura that I had left over from my truck. Not the best photos, but here's how it's looking.
$_27.JPG
$_27.JPG

Back