9k RPM...Clutching questions

Viper Bush

I recently installed a Bender 4x4 pipe on an otherwise completely stock 02 SX Viper. (I do also have a rear HX off an SRX for added cooling). I've noticed my RPM's are now 9k when WOT. I'm not sure if it's the extra noise, but the sled seems to pull alot harder, especially on the low end.

I have a couple of questions in regards to the 9k RPM...I've heard 8500-8600 RPM is considered the "sweet spot" for the Vipers...

Is it safe to run this sled at 9k all day long an not expect any issues?

I am very new to clutching. I know the sled is making a bit more power with the new pipe, hence the 4-500 RPM increase and that I need to re-clutch to utilize the new found power. Any recommendations on a clutch setup? I'm a complete clutch newb. Is it safe to ride with it reving so high??

Thanks all!
- Bush

Last edited:

its not gonna explode or anything but it will run even better at 8600rpm, youll need to add some weight to the tips of your clutch weights.

use a 4.5 rivet in the tips of them.

Thanks for the reply, but as I mentioned, I have no clutch tuning experience. If I wanted to add weight to the tips, do I need an aftermarket clutch kit, like Heel Clickers, to be able to do this? Really looking for someone to tell me what I need to buy and I'll be able to figure out the install lol

Thanks again!

I thought all stock Viper's over reved to 9000?

You should try the clutch setup in the TY tech pages. Green secondary spring with 53/43 Helix.. I just had this done and she pulls good and I have the bender 4x4 pipe and bender can as well ) Revs to 8500-8600RPM now.

Thanks for the reply, but as I mentioned, I have no clutch tuning experience. If I wanted to add weight to the tips, do I need an aftermarket clutch kit, like Heel Clickers, to be able to do this? Really looking for someone to tell me what I need to buy and I'll be able to figure out the install lol

Thanks again!

You can just change the rivets in your weights. You need to have a basic knowledge of whats already in there to figure out how to tune from there. Some one could tell you what they think you need to go buy, you go buy it, take the exact same thing out and put your brand new exact same thing and be exactly where you are now.

go your yamaha shop.... and get 3 of these part number- 90261-06033-00

your gonna need someone to help you change them if you dont know how to, maybe ask the yamaha shop how much for them to swap them for you if you dont have a friend with a clutch puller and the know how to change out the rivets.

put these 3 rivets in the tips of the weights, furthest away from the pivot pin, these are heavier then whats in there stock an will bring the rpm down for you.

Thanks for the info fellas. I'm confident I have enough mechanical ability to tackle this job, but just needed a push in the right direction. Just changing the tip weights seems like the cheapest and easiest fix. Hopefully that does the trick. Now I just need to find a decent clutch puller and I'll be on my way!

Thanks!

Don't want to thread jack but went for a ride tonight in some freshly groomed trails/powder runs as experienced somewhat of the same problem. It was -28 degree C (-18F) and the sled was running great but sometimes the revs would rise up without any speed increase and think I saw 9k on one pull. I think I saw 45mph at roughly 6k rpm and 50 at 6.5k rpm. The only things I've changed from last year is a rebuilt secondary and a new belt (blew the old one last season). After the ride I touched the sheaves on both clutches and the belt and everything was cool. One thing I noticed is that I might not have the appropriate amount of play on the secondary shaft. I've attached a pic to show how many spacers are installed and also how far down the belt sits. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

One more thing. New belt has 200 miles on it and the over revving seems to be from belt slip but the belt is always cool to the touch. Thanks,

Back